Bad experiences with the 1911

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
The reason is simple, if you have shot hundreds & hundreds of one brand & lot# of ammo without fail.
Why queer the numbers? I bought cans of sealed Military surplus ammo early 80s for $3.00 a box all with
sealed primers & bullets.

As for the FLGR I removed that last year for a simple take down without tools. The FLGR was of no real benefit I could ever see.

You can pick it all apart by blaming Colt Firearms, but you can never disregard there are thousands or Military & early Colts like my 51
that are drop dead reliable & beautiful. Just my .02 if I had only one pistol, it would be Betsy a 1917 Military Colt 1911 that has from day one
shot with all the gusto a real 1911 can have in one life.

That is all.
View attachment 9130
This is Betsy with her org shoes. ;)
Back in 1970 we were issued 45 ACP ammo from 1950&48 & C rats from 1953. We shot & ate the stuff we were all surprised there were no problems...just saying. But again that's Uncle Sam's Misguided Children...nothing is too good for us...

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Back in 1970 we were issued 45 ACP ammo from 1950&48 & C rats from 1953. We shot & ate the stuff we were all surprised there were no problems...just saying. But again that's Uncle Sam's Misguided Children...nothing is too good for us...

Everything I was ever issued as a US Army Boy scout was WWI or WWII issue, including the Army Wool lined sleeping bags they gave us to use
with our floorless Pup tents, for use in the Jungles of Panama :eek: Lions & tigers & Snakes!! One scout did get bit by a Vampire bat & had to get 18 shots in the belly OHH that hurts I know. He's toes stuck out from the tent & he got bit, could have been a Fer De lance Pit viper.

OD Cans listed what may be in them, PB & J on white bread all but the bread was in OD cans.
The one saving grace was the Ol man had eaten this crap during WWII & he bought our food mostly
off Post, thank God, he & Mom were world class Cooks.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Everything I was ever issued as a US Army Boy scout was WWI or WWII issue, including the Army Wool lined sleeping bags they gave us to use
with our floorless Pup tents, for use in the Jungles of Panama :eek: Lions & tigers & Snakes!! One scout did get bit by a Vampire bat & had to get 18 shots in the belly OHH that hurts I know. He's toes stuck out from the tent & he got bit, could have been a Fer De lance Pit viper.

OD Cans listed what may be in them, PB & J on white bread all but the bread was in OD cans.
The one saving grace was the Ol man had eaten this crap during WWII & he bought our food mostly
off Post, thank God, he & Mom were world class Cooks.

Gads...remember those stupid pup tents...we did everything we could not to use them. Poncho & poncho liner was the way to go...OD cans what memories...always carry Tabasco sauce & garlic...

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
The reason is simple, if you have shot hundreds & hundreds of one brand & lot# of ammo without fail.
Why queer the numbers? I bought cans of sealed Military surplus ammo early 80s for $3.00 a box all with
sealed primers & bullets.

As for the FLGR I removed that last year for a simple take down without tools. The FLGR was of no real benefit I could ever see.

You can pick it all apart by blaming Colt Firearms, but you can never disregard there are thousands or Military & early Colts like my 51
that are drop dead reliable & beautiful. Just my .02 if I had only one pistol, it would be Betsy a 1917 Military Colt 1911 that has from day one
shot with all the gusto a real 1911 can have in one life.

That is all.
View attachment 9130
This is Betsy with her org shoes. ;)
That there's a purdy firearm my friend!!

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
only issue I have ever had with my 1911s are with 9mms. most had to be sent back because they ejected hot brass to my face. extractor/ejector touch ups fixed them all.

tell us what is wrong with each and maybe we can help get you back to loving your 1911s too.

sometimes an adjustment or mor e lube helps a lot
Yeah, I get the occasional brass to the top of my head from my 9mm. Never had anyone who really knew how to fix it . I tried adjusting the extractor once, but the window of operation on mine is so small , it seemed like the only place it ran 100% was when it kicked 3 to 4 out of 50 to the top of my hat. So I'm in the camp of leave it alone. Did you find a solution boat doc?

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, I get the occasional brass to the top of my head from my 9mm. Never had anyone who really knew how to fix it . I tried adjusting the extractor once, but the window of operation on mine is so small , it seemed like the only place it ran 100% was when it kicked 3 to 4 out of 50 to the top of my hat. So I'm in the camp of leave it alone. Did you find a solution boat doc?
I have found that adjustng grip tension ( rigth vs left hand) and isometric tension helps extraction/ejection matters with a 9mm

Cardplayer64

Fanatic
Be more than happy to take your problems off your hands for a discount of course. Just let me know and I'll be glad to take the trash out...

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Be more than happy to take your problems off your hands for a discount of course. Just let me know and I'll be glad to take the trash out...

Guns are fixed. The Valor chugged through its wall o' jam to almost 300 rounds before I ran out of ammo.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Guns are fixed. The Valor chugged through its wall o' jam to almost 300 rounds before I ran out of ammo.
I'll just bet that V-1911 would go through 6000 more rds if Federal or Remington would supply the ammo. :eek:

The 1911 finest most feared pistol & cartridge in the world bar none.

We should write some Ammo comps & ask if they XXX would like to test a 1911 with 6000 rounds of their best BALL
ammo to go into History forever with the 1911.

Would it not be cool if S&B took us up on the 1911-2022 6000 round challenge just in case Rem, Hor, Win, any other
American Ammunition Company who cares about Freedom & THE 1911 did not want to play.

What could it hurt to ask? I wrote all the powder Mfgs & asked when the powder would be available to lifetime
handloaders like us. Hey I'm a crazy 1911 Fanatic. What the Hell do you expect?

finish him humphrey bogart GIF by Warner Archive

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
The Enforcer is chugging along and gets large portions of Federal HST and American Eagle. The Valor, unfortunately, is on a low grain diet since I can only afford to feed one of them.

Latest posts