Average trigger pull weight?

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
So after much searching I can't find a common site that lists the average trigger weight pull for competition pistols. Can you list your weight below in a reply? I understand there are shooters using Glock, XD, M&P, 1911, and revolvers. I just want to get some data so I can find a common or average weight. Thanks!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
You mean you want to know what weight to offer as a "competition trigger job"?

3 1/2
Anything below that, I'd consider custom

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a M&P with a great trigger done be a fellow locally. It was well under 3 pounds on my gauge.

Edit: I have also shot a bone stock M&P and Glock 22 in production. I still sucked but I'd rather suck with an awesome trigger!

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
Even though I use my Wilson CQB as a single stack USPSA gun, I don't really consider it a "competition" gun. I also use it as my carry gun. Trigger breaks right at 3 pounds.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I would say average is 3 lbs. Most are 2 lbs to 3.5lbs, but some are lower than 2 and some are more than 3.5. Many more are above 3.5 than are below 2.

my glocks are around 5#, my 1911/2011's all need to be about 2.5-2.75#
M&Ps when I was shooting them a lot were 2.5-4

so much more to triggers than poundage, thats no where as important as a nice takeup and crisp break

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys. I have a co-worker who sent his XDM into Springfield Armory for their custom competition trigger work. He wanted a consensus as to what trigger weight everyone was using and what weight he should have his trigger set at.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Custom should be what you want it set at. Std off the shelf competition offering is going to be around the 3 1/2 lb range +- a couple oz.

Is he not happy with what he got? Expecting lighter? I doubt your factory custom shops will go very light for liability reasons.

Latest posts