ar15?

snowman03gt

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm looking at getting my first ar15 soon dot want to spend to much because I'm just a reg shooter. I really like the dpms sportacil at Walmart. Been told it's a good gun what yal think, I'm just going to use the gun for range time shooting fun and maybe hunting not sure on the hunting yet.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Dick's Sporting Goods has a nice Stag with modular rail for $850.
bbaabaad.jpg

Or you could contact Bob at Upstate Armory Group for a custom build. From what I'm hearing demand is high and there are parts shortages, so move on it!

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
For hunting you can go 300 blackout or other calibers. You have have to build it for your budget. Don't forget to look at Palmetto State Armory. I also saw a AR10 by DPMS at Walmart for under $900. Couldn't believe the price.

04ctd

Well-Known Fanatic
North of North Chuck, South of Scummerville
East Coast has the Rock River Arms, and they have a lifetime warranty. however, RRA's are not well respected on the forums.

if you plan to plink with it, get the wally world brand
if you plan to trust your life with it, maybe step up.

half the fun of an AR, is doing the research & making an informed decision, while still trying to get it cheap.

be woefully wary on the AR forums, as they come off as a snobbish lot:
from the below link
http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-81300.html
I pretty much scanned through a lot of that, but it seems like a penis measuring contest.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=93887

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-81300.html

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
snowman03gt said:
I'm looking at getting my first ar15 soon dot want to spend to much because I'm just a reg shooter. I really like the dpms sportacil at Walmart. Been told it's a good gun what yal think, I'm just going to use the gun for range time shooting fun and maybe hunting not sure on the hunting yet.
What part of the state are you in?

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
boy you opened a can of worms"witch AR" lol well we all like certain brands kinda like shoes or cars etc.me personaly i like the top tier stuff:LMT,COLT,BCM,etc but from what i've seen for a person on a budget Palmetto State Amrory is offering the most bang for the buck.call them up and see what they can do for you.i'm not a huge fan of DPMS.other makes Stag,Bushmaster,Smith & Wesson are pretty good rifles.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
snowman03gt said:
In Laurens work in Greenville
Laurens: Rich's pawn is about all. Bob at UAG is out in the country around Woodruff, can build you a rifle. Tom Robertson at Ace Hardware in Woodruff has a decent selection I hear. Simpsonville: Stan at S'ville Gun and Pawn ocasionally gets an AR. Mauldin: Gunslingers. Greenville: Dewey's Pawn on Augusta, Freedom Gun & Pawn on White Horse Rd, Southeast Survival is a new place on Woodruff Rd near Wendy's with PSA AR's for $750, Academy, Dicks has a nice Stag for $850.

Shop around, see what you like. It's mostly personal preference when it comes to AR's.

Sorry to anyone I forgot to mention.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
HOLY DIVER said:
i'm not a huge fan of DPMS.
Don't listen to HOLY DIVER about DPMS, he just doesn't like the guns with the Black Cat Fireworks logo engraved in the receiver ;) Some people's main complaint about Stag AR's is deer antlers on a tacticool gun. Matter of personal preference.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
If you're willing to move out of the $800 range and into the $1200 range, check out Gun Warehouse on Depot St in Greer, open Friday night and Saturday day only.

04ctd

Well-Known Fanatic
North of North Chuck, South of Scummerville
i think that if i was buying an AR now, i would look at the top shelf guns as a "might as well"

in other words, if you are going to spend $800 on a cheap gun, you might as well spend $1000 or more on a GREAT gun.

if i ever buy another AR, i will be one of the high end brands, because i keep my guns forever (at parents farm) and want them to run forever.

if you gonna swap parts & customize, then yeah, go cheap and end up with good parts in a cheap housing.
but there's no real value there, and your money is only good if you keep the gun forever.
mix &match & homemade guns don't hold their value.

but for me, i know what i want, and will save up till i can buy a gun LIKE i want, that is all one brand, one color, one finish, and with a warranty.

snowman03gt

Well-Known Fanatic
So is dpms good I hear good things and bad a buddy of mind who is ex military loves his but he spent like 900 bucks on his

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
is DPMS junk?No.can a DPMS make the avg. shooter that puts 20rds a month through it happy yes it can.is it accurate?YES very!.can it hold up to running hard,not cleaning extremely high round count each weekend.NO thats what the difference is between DPMS and COLT. so you have to ask yourself what you want out of this rifle?a range toy that you shoot a 3 shot group walk down to the paper and pat yourself on the the back.yep DPMS will do the trick.wanna get it extremely hot at a carbine class shooting 500-750 rds a day well you need a Colt,LMT,BCM,etc to do that

Latest posts