Ar15 for backpacking/3g/Bug out bag

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
About to take the plunge and buy my first AR15. I have many traditional firearms except a tactical defense weapon. I have been eyeing the Stag Arms 3G gun for quite a while, but haven't been able to pull the trigger so to speak. I want this gun to be my compannion when I'm at the range, hiking, or having to get the hell out of dodge because the SHTF. I can go on and on about how awesome the gun looks on paper, and how cheap it is in comparrison to purchasing all the parts myself. My only problem is not just with the 3g but with all AR15's that have a free floating hand guard. I back pack with a Eberlestock rig that has a internal sheath so to speak for your rifle. Will a free floating hand guard be jeprodized from holding zero in this bag? Any info on this would help.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
There is nothing about the way you pack a gun with a free floating hand hard that will change the zero. Free float is the only way to go, IMO. It will have a more consistent and more reliable zero than a non free float. Get the Stag and don't look back.

PapaWheelie

Hawaiian Jedi
DoctorJJ speaks the truth. The Free Float Handguard on the STAG 3G can only help when hiking, backpacking, or getting out of dodge. Pair the Model 3G with a good low-power variable scope like a Burris TAC30/MTAC and you are ready to go to work.

Kalani

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
If you find a backpack less than $100 that will hold an AR-15 (while broken down into the two receivers) let me know. I've been looking for one some time with no luck.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Free float handguards will not jeopardize zero. Well I guess it can in one way, if you're shooting from a barricade and you're resting your barrel on the barricade, the pressure will cause your barrel to flex up and your poi will be off. By how far? Far enough to wonder why your not hitting ****. Rest your free float handguard on the barricade instead and then there's nothing putting pressure on the barrel, issue solved. You can test this once you get your stag. If you have a laser bore sighter that goes in the muzzle, put it in your barrel and start puttin pressure on the barrel while looking through your sights. You'll see how much pressure will move your barrel and when you take the pressure off it will return to zero. I see this mistake all the time at 3 gun matches. Sometimes it doesn't matter, and sometimes the person can't hit anything and will burn an entire mag on a few long range targets. It's a learning moment.

I have the TAD Gear Litespeed and EDC packs that I put all my gear in for matches. Of coarse they won't hold my AR, even broken down. But they hold all my ammo, eye and ear pro, some basic cleaning and maintance stuff. Then might get a lo pro case like the LaRue or spikes tactical one but pretty much everyone can tell your carrying a gun in there. And it's broken down which means you have to put it together before you can use it. But it only takes seconds to put it together. Try that with stress and zombies charging torwards you. I have a 5.11 VTAC double rifle bag and it holds my shotgun and AR. The shotgun sticks out the end a few inches but I don't care. If I'm bugging out, I'm driving. If I have to walk, then the shotgun and most of my shtuff is being stashed somewhere until I can come back to them.

The EDC is big enough it might fit a broken down SBR. It seems like my 16" barrel stuck out of the top a few inches. Expensive pack but they're built like a brick shithouse.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I forgot the TAD packs have an external flap you can put your stock in and strap your rifle to the outside of the pack. There's pictures of it on the website. It's an ok idea, but it's kind of cumbersome.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
If your front sight is on the FF tube and you use it on a barricade, it will affect your zero. Probably less than if you brace the barrel on a barricade (no harmonicky weirdness with the ff tube), but you're moving the sight all the same. FF tubes that do not have front sights mounted on them have absolutely no downside on an AR.

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys that was what I was concerned about is a front site on the FF hand guard. What I would like to do is have a Scope mounted on top for ditstance, and then offset Iron sites for up close, and a 22lr conversion kit. Which brings me to another question. When a normal 22lr has a 1in16 barrel twist, won't a 3G with 1 in 8 destroy the bullet before it gets out? Also for anyone that has the 3G what grain ammo are you finding that shots the tightest groups?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Thanks guys that was what I was concerned about is a front site on the FF hand guard. What I would like to do is have a Scope mounted on top for ditstance, and then offset Iron sites for up close, and a 22lr conversion kit. Which brings me to another question. When a normal 22lr has a 1in16 barrel twist, won't a 3G with 1 in 8 destroy the bullet before it gets out? Also for anyone that has the 3G what grain ammo are you finding that shots the tightest groups?

You should ask these last two questions in a new thread. The person with the answer u seek on your .22 may never see the question because it's in a thread about a back pack.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Since I always have my sidearm on me, it's not necessary to have my rifle assembled while transporting to and from the range/match.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I had a Spike's .22 conversion and used to shoot it out of my WOA 1:7 twist SS barrel with no problems. Accuracy was ok to 50-75 yards. Still decent at 100 but nothing compared to my dedicated Nordic NC22 upper. I really don't think there's any issues with bullets coming apart with .22 lr. They will just make your AR super dirty.

I have no idea as to the Stag 3G AR ammo and such.

clarkbe9980

Well-Known Fanatic
My brother has a Stag Lefty without a free floating barrel and with our hand loads he can almost put 5 in a penny at 100. We have been VERY impressed with Stag. 5.11 makes their Covrt M4 that is a little back pack thing that is designed for more of a covert bug out. Cool idea at least.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I had a CMMG .22 conversion. It was great except it leaded the heck out of my comp,it wouldn't run better than about 75% with my light JP trigger, and it sux taking it in an out if your rifle. Come to think of it it wasn't too great after all. A conversion would be best suited for a mil spec rifle. I bet the S3G trigger has issues with fail to fire also. It's pretty light. The best bet is a dedicated upper like the NC22 from Nordic. The downside there is its double the price and you eventually will build a lower specifically for it. So it's expensive compared to a $150-200 conversion.

Latest posts