AR Barrel length & Optic

Mac MacDonald

GunZoo
So i'm starting to get more and more into multi-gun. I've shot a couple matches the past week, both with different rifles and optics.

Rifle 1: Lightweight BCM 14.5" with pinned BattleComp and an Aimpoint H1

Rifle 2: Noveske Rogue Hunter 18" with Vortex Viper PST 1-4x

I ran the **** out of the BCM. It is so light I literally ran with it like a pistol, in one hand, on one stage that had about a 30yd run. The only thing that sucked was we had to take 225yd shot on small steel and, while it wasnt crazy difficult, a magnified optic would have helped.

When I ran the Noveske in a match it was heavy as ****. I was able to crush long range shots with the variable optic and longer barrel but I couldn't hose closer targets and transitions were a bit slower. Also, the optics adjustment knobs and the bezel of the eyepiece partially obstructed my view on arrays of two or more targets.

So with all that said, how do you guys determine what to run with?

Dont you think a variable, while great for longer shots, slightly blocks your field of view on hoser stages?

Arent longer barrels (aka heavier guns) a disadvantage? of course they help on longer shots but is the advantage of another 3.5" so much that it negates the lighter weight barrels?

Regarding the 1x Aimpoint, yeah, it sucks on longer shots but would a flippable 3x magnifier be suitable.

Tell me why you chose your set-up and what you think you gain and lose with your rig.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Here's some good reading on barrels:

http://www.boomersho...0018-jp-rifles/

I found that with my 16" LW BCM upper, it's light enough that it's really "bouncy" on the move and more difficult to get good hits than my 3 gun rifle. There's a sweet spot that gives people a barrel that settles nicely and is fairly stable for long range and on the move, but is still light enough that it transitions easily. That seems to be in the 18" lightweight to 20" midweight range for most folks.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I'd like to make this clear to all that read this post. The two different sights compete in different divisions. At most matches you don't officially compete against variables with a 1x optic.

I understand wanting to run in the most populous division I really do, but the question "which sight is better for 3 gun," and then giving a variable scope or an Aimpoint as examples just doesn't make real sense. They are separate divisions, each with their own challenges. You need to ask yourself what division you want to play in first, then ask questions about various sights and scopes.

Mac MacDonald

GunZoo
I'd like to make this clear to all that read this post. The two different sights compete in different divisions. At most matches you don't officially compete against variables with a 1x optic.

I understand wanting to run in the most populous division I really do, but the question "which sight is better for 3 gun," and then giving a variable scope or an Aimpoint as examples just doesn't make real sense. They are separate divisions, each with their own challenges. You need to ask yourself what division you want to play in first, then ask questions about various sights and scopes.

Great point.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah I understand all that G.T. but who makes the best irondotscope and who makes the best shortlongSSCMlightheavyloudquietcomped barrel...

Mac MacDonald

GunZoo
To be fair...to me, our local OUTLAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Matches allow a 1x with a magnifier. So my question is valid just had piss poor background associated with it. So guys with a 1-6x WILL be directly competing with a guys with a Aimpoint and a magnifier. sure it may seem dumb but its an OUTLAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Match. i stress outlaw cuz it sounds EXTREME!!!!!!!! and anything goes when you're an OUTLAW!!!!!!!!!!

So if you think about that you'll see why I asked my question. Short fast barrel with a 1x and magnifier or a 1-6x on a heavier gun.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
EXTREME!!!

1x's and magnifiers will always compete along with the variables, and I will take a good variable over a dot with a magnifier any day of the week. My dislike for dots comes from my horrible eyesight and red dots look like blurry crap, adding a magnifier does not help me here. If magnified is where you want to play get a variable, minimum of the Tac30 to whatever your bank account will support on the top end. Any variable with mount that I know of is going to add a pound to the top of the rifle, you aren't getting around it. Unless that Noveske has some god awful huge diameter under the hand guard I bet its not far off in weight from what most people run.

Shoot the Noveske if you want to play in magnified, stick the Aimpoint on the Noveske sans magnifier if you want to play in limited. You may also play around with comps, lots of people like the rolling thunder and the titan.

Mac MacDonald

GunZoo
EXTREME!!!

I will take a good variable over a dot with a magnifier any day of the week

Agreed.

I just, like 5-minutes ago, ordered the RAZOR HD GEN II 1-6X24. I plan on running it on the Noveske. I just need to man-up and spend more time on this heavy ass rifle and get comfortable with it. I plan on buying a fixed stock as well and a longer handguard as I have monkey arms and need the extra length.

It's gametime!

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a 20in barrel and with scope my rifle weighs 9.8 lbs, I am very happy with it I do not have the lmos but I feel the weight of the rifle combined with the rolling Thunder comp reduce recoil significantly leaving a very flat sight picture for rapid fire. I always think I need a double fluted 18 inch barrel with lmos but when I shoot these lighter rifles I really appreciate my rifle. The 1-6 power scope will be nice for those long shots.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Agreed.

I just, like 5-minutes ago, ordered the RAZOR HD GEN II 1-6X24. I plan on running it on the Noveske. I just need to man-up and spend more time on this heavy ass rifle and get comfortable with it. I plan on buying a fixed stock as well and a longer handguard as I have monkey arms and need the extra length.

It's gametime!

If you are looking to shave some weight. I run that ACE Ultra Light Stock. It's just that, ultra light! It's not super long though so check into length fitment before you buy.

I just picked up a custom 17" Carbon Fiber Tube from AP Customs. It's very light and very long! Give Aaron a call and have him cut you the length you need.

Mac MacDonald

GunZoo
If you are looking to shave some weight. I run that ACE Ultra Light Stock. It's just that, ultra light! It's not super long though so check into length fitment before you buy.

I just picked up a custom 17" Carbon Fiber Tube from AP Customs. It's very light and very long! Give Aaron a call and have him cut you the length you need.

I was actually just looking at that Carbon Fiber Tube. 17" would be perfect! I'll have to check out that stock. Getting expensive fast but I want it right!

Latest posts