AR-15 with Iron sights...

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Let me first tell you what I have, then you guys can tell me what to do.

I have a mid length AR, with standard front sight, and A2 carry handle rear. I have used scopes my whole life, literally had a scope on my first pellet gun, and want to start over and learn to be better with irons.

What can I expect from the standard A2 sights? Should I zero them and leave them, or set them up to be what they were designed to be, range adjustable sights? Was hoping to find someone who shoots 3 gun with similar irons and has done so at medium to long range. I know that some of the highpower shooters use NM irons out to 600, and while that is probably to much to expect from my 16" middy, I would like to see what all is doable.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Zero them for 300 and you won't have to cover the target with the post until you go further. The large aperture is good out to 100ish. Either buy or turn your front down do 0.03-350.

I don't shoot high power, but good hits aren't really that hard out to 300. I've honestly not shot irons past 300. I was happy with 4-5 inch groups at 300 yards.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
technetium-99m said:
Zero them for 300 and you won't have to cover the target with the post until you go further. The large aperture is good out to 100ish. Either buy or turn your front down do 0.03-350.

I don't shoot high power, but good hits aren't really that hard out to 300. I've honestly not shot irons past 300. I was happy with 4-5 inch groups at 300 yards.
Sounds good, thanks. Already worked on the front sight some.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't know if it's something you would want to do, but swap out to a low profile gas block and use a clamp on FS stuck as far forward as possible, like all the way out to your flash hider/comp. Sight radius helps me alot.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott Hearn said:
Don't know if it's something you would want to do, but swap out to a low profile gas block and use a clamp on FS stuck as far forward as possible, like all the way out to your flash hider/comp. Sight radius helps me alot.
Have thought of that, and may go that route. For now I am spending money on ammo and range time first. Thankfully being a mid length it already has a little more sight radius.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Your rifle should be capable of boring you with hits at 300 as it is. There's a zero method that will allow you to go below the 6/3 mark on your elevation drum and get within 2.5" of POA all the way out to about 250. If you zero as designed, you can dial up to 600 very easily with your carbine depending on the weight of your bullet.

If you want to meet at USSA some time to zero and work on proving the rifle's zero at distance I'd be glad to help.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Iron sights are harder to learn, but can be used out to ranges many people won't try with an optic. In the Marines we used irons out to 500, and I have seen guys use them at competitions out to 600. I do prefer an optic at longer ranges, but still use my irons now and then just so I don't get rusty with them.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Michael Ray said:
Your rifle should be capable of boring you with hits at 300 as it is. There's a zero method that will allow you to go below the 6/3 mark on your elevation drum and get within 2.5" of POA all the way out to about 250. If you zero as designed, you can dial up to 600 very easily with your carbine depending on the weight of your bullet.

If you want to meet at USSA some time to zero and work on proving the rifle's zero at distance I'd be glad to help.
Might take you up on that at some point, I need to develop a good load for it. 1-7 barrel, and I already use 75 grain Swift Scirroco's as my hunting load, will probably try and find a similar load with the 77 grain Noslers.

Latest posts