AR-15 upper and lower has a little play in it

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
I noticed on my new AR that where my upper and lower attach that there is a little play in it. I broke it down a few times and put it back...doesn't seem as bad now since firing. Still seems like it needs to be more flush....Anyone ever ran into this?

Bevenue

Well-Known Fanatic
some play is normal. But if it bothers you, get an accu wedge. Its supposed to help take some of the play out.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Every AR I have owned which isn't a lot, maybe 6 or 7 now have wobbled. The real nice and expensive matched set billet Upper/lower sets like my LOKI and JP start out very tight with no wobble but parts wear and a little slop creeps in.

Get the accuwedge and it will tighten it up.

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the info....it's not horrible....My Stag is pretty solid...this new one had a little play in it...but not enough that I'm going to lose sleep over....

gmar

Well-Known Fanatic
You could always try something like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=698479

TroyF

TheBearcat
I've heard mixed opinions on wheter the play between the upper and lower really even matters. What say the rifle experts?

uscbigdawg

Well-Known Fanatic
It doesn't. The sights (irons, scope, etc.) are attached to the barrel and as long as that doesn't move, accuracy isn't affected. Check out Zideker's book on the AR. If the High Power and Service Rifle guys don't care (much), then we shouldn't.

That said, I use the Accu-Wedge, 'cause I don't like the wiggle. So...cheap OCD management.

Rich

dennishoddy

First off, I'm not a rifle expert.
But I shoot a lot of rifle, somtimes at long range for hunting.

With the scope/sight attached to the upper, there is little problem with some movement in the fit between the upper and lower.

When getting back into civilian AR's, vs M16, I had major issues with the "slack".

Bottom line, is that my Ar's with a little movement print better than some of my high end Browning, and Winchester bolt guns.

WHY? Don't know.

OK, a little history lesson.

Back in the 80's, and beyond, Gun manufacturers used the same equipment that had been making barrels for 50 years in some cases.
Reloading to match the barrel harmonics was a must to get accuracy.

Currently, the gun/barrel builders are using CNC, computer controlled machine tools that can hold a tolerance that most folks wouldn't even imagine.
Even recently built classic guns built for Cowboy action shooters have accuracy that is amazing.

We live in a great time to own a current gun, they all seem to be very accurate with factory loads....but, I will not give up my reloader. :D

an accuwedge is nice and a solid rifle feels better.

I wouldnt use the Jp expanding pn that Jake mentioned. If it gets loose, youre up shits creek and will be looking for chewing gum and a twig.

Latest posts