AR-15 optics

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah it was a bummer. First it started stove-piping the spent cases and then it just stopped altogether. I am not sure how the two relate but it's never had any issues before whatsoever. At first I didn't even notice the void until Andy looked at it and pointed it out. I have some pics, not the best because I took them with my phone. I didn't post them here originally because they were not the topic of this thread but here they are:

normal_IMG_1747.JPG

normal_IMG_1740.JPG

I haven't called Armalite yet even but back onto the topic of the ACSS reticle... I was definitely liking the scope while the rifle was working. Hopefully I'll get to use it for real some time soon.

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I was lazy about calling them but I called last week and they happily shipped me a new hammer no questions asked. Not even my SN, I said I have pictures, nope don't need them we don't want to waste your time for something like this we'll just ship you a new one... so today it arrived. Kudos Armalite! :D :D :D

I do note the mold is a little different having the indents on the side that the original one didn't but all I care is that it works. We'll find out soon enough.

normal_20140318_173430_Android.jpg

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
Well changing the part took maybe two minutes with my Glock tool to push out the pin and little needle nose to handle the D-ring without flopping it into the carpet with my butterfingers.

Here you can see the differences in the mold used pretty clearly.
normal__MG_4419.jpg

Since I had the real camera out for once I decided to use some extension tubes and see if I could get some real decent close-up shots of the break. This is the results, pretty cool looking if nothing else:

normal__MG_4432.jpg

normal__MG_4435.jpg

What is clear in these photos that wasn't in my not so great phone pics is that the hole clearly went up into the top of the hammer as well.

With any luck I will have time to put a few rounds through it this weekend to test it out. Then finish sighting in and testing the Primary Arms 1-6....

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
What stands out to me (besides the hole) is that it appears to be a hard crust or shell filled with a swirl of softer metal. I wonder if that's from the hardening process? I wonder if that part was made by the MIM (metal injection molding) process?

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
It's most definitely a MIM part. Clearly a bad casting and maybe metal mix. The hole actually goes through both sides. There seems to be a section of darker rusty looking metal in one quadrant that matches on both sides of the break as well. I am just glad they replaced it for free. If it breaks again though it's going to turn into a single stage. Those hammers don't seem to get that narrow as where this one broke at any point.

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
I commented on this in another thread but just for continuity I think I should add here that the AR-10 with the PA scope made it back to the range yesterday and the Primary Arms scope performed pretty well. I never got it completely sighted in before and as such when I started it was abotu a foot high at 100 yards but that was easy enough to correct and it worked pretty well. Now all the remains to be seen is how it holds between range trips. For now though I have to admit I am really liking the scope.

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
That looks pretty decent. A lot of reviews show people using it on handguns. Does it co-witness with irons on the AR?

beerman

Well-Known Fanatic
I just ordered the Bushnell TRS-25. It's supposed to be here Sunday, apparently amazon has Sunday shipping now. If it comes early enough, I'll site it in and see how I like it.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
beerman said:
I just ordered the Bushnell TRS-25. It's supposed to be here Sunday, apparently amazon has Sunday shipping now. If it comes early enough, I'll site it in and see how I like it.

Get your TRS yet? I have one an a riser mount and its been really nice for the price

beerman

Well-Known Fanatic
Dayman said:
beerman said:

Get your TRS yet? I have one an a riser mount and its been really nice for the price

Yeah, I got the red dot Sunday like it said, but I forgot/didn't realize I need the riser, so the riser got here last Tuesday. I sighted it in last Sunday. I really like it so far. The knob to adjust the brightness of the laser is a pain to turn right now. Was yours the same way? If so, did it loosen up a little with use? I took it pig hunting last week, but didn't see any pigs to shoot at. When I sighted it in I was holding about a 3" grouping at about 70 yards resting on the bed of my truck. I'm sure when I get a chance to shoot it from a bench it'll do a lot better. Honestly though, it's mostly going to sit in the bedroom, so as long as it is accurate at 5-10 yards, I'll be happy. I'll take it out if I go stalking for pigs, but if I'm going to sit in a stand, I'll probably use my 30-30 or the wife's .270 as they have a lot more punch.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Mine TRS25 seems to do minute-of-golf-ball pretty well at 25 to 50 yards. With a 2 MOA dot, at 50 yards that's basically ball = dot. Still seem to hit them OK.

Think it will do for HD. If I could only come up with a way to make it come on a little easier - like a pull-tab such as used in cheap electronics for kids (plastic sheet between battery and contact). This thing is watertight though so I don't see how to make that happen. Between the charging handle, selector, light, and sight, there's a little too much workload upfront for my liking if someone's trying to come through the door. Don't want to stage it with one in the chamber since I have a little one.

OTOH, if I'm sleepy enough I'll just pop the bad guys with the Mosin - it's on a (high) display rack with bayonet on. Figure the first shot doesn't even have to hit anyone, they'll be suing me for loss of hearing and sight and new pants.