AR-15 optics

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic
Still mulling over what I would like to get. As much as I would love to have a TA31 ACOG, bills these days and everything else going up I just don't see one in my future. Such a nice peice of equipment. So, If I put what I got and build on it I should be able to budget something around $300+- by Christmas. So, give me some thought on these specs. 3-9x, compact with BDC, target turrets, battery or self illumination. I don't want a huge, foot long monster sitting up top but hopefully small yet still take in enough light to get a good sight picture. I want prairie dogs to regret me ever getting ownership of an AR-15. :twisted:

Chris

Fat Tony

New Fanatic
If you are looking for a tactical look, like the ACOG, there are other options in that price range. Personally I prefer the Aimpoint as it is not magnified and a secondary magnifier can be added and flipped to the side for close quarters stuff.

Options include Primary Arms (have really good reviews over on AR15) and VortexTactical.

With a Larue Flip to side mount on the magnifier, you can have your cake and eat it to.

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
I have shot with the vortex a few times. They seem real nice. I'm looking to buy one soon. They come with a screw in magnifier, too.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Chris if you want to hit some dogs you'll need a scope with higher magnification which in my book means a large optic. The 3 or 4 power scopes, like an ACOG, don't allow you to reach out and make hits on tiny critters.

There are plenty of QD good mounts that will allow you to switch optics and match the optic to your requirements at that moment in time.

My Aimpoint or 8x32 Burris or 1x4 Vortex all have a place atop my rifle at one time or another.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I just realized my previous link to e 1-12x30 Counter Sniper was bad. Here is the correct link.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...t-mil-spec-matte-black-hardcoat.aspx?a=650803

I'm not recommending this optic, as I have not used it, but if it's decent, with that extreme adjustment range, it would be versatile. I actually have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 which I really like on an AR mainly due to the suitable eye relief. (Consider access to your charging handle when mounting a non-AR specific scope on an AR.)

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
i run a Eotech 512 no magnification and i can hit an 8inch plate all day at 300yds no i'm not sure you need a high magnification scope a VORTEX,Eotech,Aimpoint should take care of your needs

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
HOLY DIVER said:
i run a Eotech 512 no magnification and i can hit an 8inch plate all day at 300yds no i'm not sure you need a high magnification scope a VORTEX,Eotech,Aimpoint should take care of your needs
While YOU might be able to do perform such feats I can't even see an 8" plate at 300 yards with the naked eye!
Chris might be able to do that but remember prairie dogs are slim targets.

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
Clicker said:
HOLY DIVER said:
While YOU might be able to do perform such feats I can't even see an 8" plate at 300 yards with the naked eye!
Chris might be able to do that but remember prairie dogs are slim targets.
ok the most i could see anybody needing on an AR is a fixed 4x i would look at the nikon m223 fixed 4x i just don't see the need to put a 1000yd scope on a 500yd rifle

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
The Operative word being need. Need has nothing to do with our wants and desires. Viva La Difference and all kinds of fun geegaws and gadgets. :D
Some of us can no longer see well enough to shoot unaided out to the distances Chris wants to terrorize Prairie Pups. I might add that 500 yds is not the best an AR can do in the right hands with the right bullet and scope. I'm planning on stretching that distance a bit farther myself.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
As much as I would love an ACOG myself...I can't justify it.

I cut my budget in half and will prolly going with a red dot instead.

lafayette gregory

Well-Known Fanatic
What about just a good scope, reasonable price (under 150.00) Not tatical, that will allow an average shooter at the range, to see and target a typical 4in group at 250 yards. Is there such a scope?

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
yes there are lotts of scopes that can do that for under $150 lol a nikkon pro staff comes to mind

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
LOL aside, I actually have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 that has the perfect eye relief for a great sight picture mounted atop an AR. I got it for less than $200 including a mail in for a free camera ~ $90 value. And it's black which makes it totally tacticool, right?

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Personally -- and I'm no expert by any stretch -- I have to put an optic to my eye before I buy. That ended me up with a Nikon 3-9x40 at <$200 with good eye relief for me and my AR. You might want to peep through their M-233 series for BDC. I have a buddy who has has goods results from a Barska, and those are really budget minded.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Is there any optic other than a red dot that will let you both-eyes-open pretty well? (yes, yes, ACOG, I know, but they cost more than my most recent car. Besides, the Bindon concept doesn't work for my eyes).

I've had a red dot on my AR the entire time I've owned it. Great out to about 50 yards, but beyond that I can't see squat. (eyes, not scope). Just recently got a NCStar (I know, I know) 1.25-4x32 and their 1.25x seems to be a lot more like 2.5x to me. Haven't had it to the range to see if it will let me hit stuff at 100 yards, but just focusing on stuff in the house there is no way this thing can be used tactically like the red dot.

Seems like there is a Barska 1-4x24 for about the same price and I see a few Bushnell Banner 1-4x32 on ebay. Also found a UTG 1-4x24 30mm tube for about the same money. Are any of them close-up competent, or are we talking about the dreaded tacticool mini-red dot off at an angle or on top, or only $500+ scopes?