AR-10 Re-barrel

dugby

Active Fanatic
Have 20" Remington R-25.

I am going to change it to a 24" heavy barrel.

I have re-barrelled several of my own bolt actions but never an AR. (Actually I have replaced entire uppers.) Want to keep costs down by re-using parts. Want to change out just the barrell and keep the gas block and existing floating handgaurd.

Never took the upper on an AR apart before. Any helpful suggestions? Places for good info?

Thanks,

Doug

its easy;
take off comp or muzzle break, loosen gas block, pull off gas block w/tube still attached, remove handguard (which in most cases mounts off the barrel nut, remove barrel nut, wiggle out barrel, clean, replace. You may have to remove the guard body before the gas block in some cases.

to re-assemble, the most important parts are using some anti seize and making sure the barrel nut is lined up so the gas tube can slide back in the receiver.

You need an upper receiver block and a barrel wrench minimum. Dont overtighten; torque values are available from barrel makers.

Google a little to fill in the gaps.

dugby

Active Fanatic
Got my 24" Lilja barrel in last night.

The barrel nut wrench I bought from Brownells wont fit the pattern on the barrel nut. I will modify the wrench so that it will fit tomorrow.

Gotta come up with something to protect the threads on the end of the thing. I don't own a flash suppressor.

Brownells sold me the wrong wrench but they did say the the best way to tighten the barrel nut was to hold the upper by the barrel. So hopefully I wont need an upper receiver block.

Looking forward to shooting it.

dugby

Active Fanatic
Well I got the new barrel on just fine but the rifle continually fails to eject now. With just one in the mag you shoot and the brass is sitting right on top of the mag with the bolt all the way back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Latest posts