Anyone hear about the mountain lion that got killed over by Minco?

higgimw

NOW...NOW... I want it NOW!!!
Saw it on the news this morning. He was a young male but a darn big kitty regardless. I guess their presence has been confirmed in Oklahoma. LOL.

sefentress

Well-Known Fanatic
OKCGC board member killed one with his crossbow near Maud, a big male @ 185#. He was watching 3 doe from his pop up blind when he noticed it crawling up on the deer from his right at about 20yds.

Oldtimer

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife and I saw one south of Ardmore on 77going to work early in the morn. We both looked at each and said ****. that was big cat. at least 125-150#

higgimw

NOW...NOW... I want it NOW!!!
You know I had heard stories in the past about people seeing them, and seeing tracks but I never really gave it much consideration till now. If that's a young one I'd hate to have a full grown male after me.

dennishoddy

Third confirmed sighting THIS year. The only way to get a confirmed sighting, is to have a dead cat, or a track. Visual observations don't count.
They have a range that can be up to 300 square miles, so the same cat can be observed from Ponca to OKC if it chooses to travel that far.

They are very elusive. I elk hunt in NM, seeing cougar tracks all the time in the snow. They are usually near mule deer tracks. Talking to the land owners, they have only seen a couple of them in their lifetimes, although track sightings are common.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
When I was 8 or 9 years old, me and my friend were 'snipe hunting', playing army, and just generally running amuck in the dark. We went to his canyon and we had a handheld spotlight and we were spot lighting the cows looking for one we could try to tip over, and we see this ginormous cat, MOUNTAIN LION, crouched down, looking at us with glowing yellow eyes with its huge tail swaying back and forth behind it. We both yelled a bunch of explicitives that little 9 year old boys aren't supposed to know, and sprinted the 3/4 of a mile back to the house. Of coarse nobody believed us but we know what we saw.

Oldtimer

Well-Known Fanatic
I talked with a ranger from Tish area and he said he has hear of one up that way which by what dennis is saying could be the same one if they travel that far.

Bullbuster

Fanatic
Mt Lion are in OK regardless of what the state game and fish folks have to say. Too many people have reported them. I hunt a place that I see tracks all the time. I know a cat track when I see one. Its the only animal I truely fear.

dennishoddy

http://www.wildlifed...mlion_sight.htm

Official sightings on the ODW web page. I don't know where people got the rumor that the ODW says there are no cougars in OK?

They are here, and have been here. The first one killed by the train is one of our coal trains that hit it just outside the power plant where I work.

Mountain Lion Sightings in Oklahoma

The only documented cases of mountain lions in Oklahoma since 2004 are:

2004 - Radio collared male killed by train near Red Rock, Oklahoma. Came from the Black Hills of South Dakota.
2006 – Cimarron Co. was depredating on an individual's goats and was killed. Male
2009 – Tillman Co along Red River seen on trail cam on private land. Sex unknown
2009 – Atoka Co. trail cam photo on private land. Sex unknown
2010 – Cimarron Co. lion killed by hunters Male
2010 – Texas Co. Radio collared male released by Colorado Division of Wildlife in North Central Colorado on October 30, 2009 on April 3rd it walked into Oklahoma panhandle. It is now in Northeastern New Mexico.

handlebar

Well-Known Fanatic
Here it is.

30b100dc.jpg

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
OKCGC board member killed one with his crossbow near Maud, a big male @ 185#. He was watching 3 doe from his pop up blind when he noticed it crawling up on the deer from his right at about 20yds.

If he really did, then what he did was not legal. And you just shared it on the internet.

Mountain lions can be taken year-round when committing or about to commit depredation on any domesticated animal or when deemed an immediate safety hazard.

sefentress

Well-Known Fanatic
Better story! About 25 years ago a friends father who is a rancher just N of Wichita WR was having some strange reactions from his cattle near one of his pens. Lots of loud bawling, mooing, bellering etc, so he drives over there and sees Mr kitty. The cat crouches down and watches him and gets a 3030 slug for his trouble, upon examination he discovers it's fitted with tracking collar, hmmm. He takes the collar off and puts on top of a corner post to his pen, 4 days later 2 wildlife guys ( 1state,1 federal) knock on the door and ask him if they can look around on the west pasture and he says sure "what you want is on top of the corner post". They come back by the house and thank him, never asked anything about what it was on or where the dead cat was.

Latest posts