Anyone have experience with the Burris XTR II 1-8?

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a gift certificate to Burris that I need to use. I was looking at the Burris XTR II 1-8. I like the FFP reticle, but I am curious as to how small it gets on 1 power? I have a Bushnell elite FFP scope, but I don't like how the reticle basically turns into a dot on 1 power.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
All first focal planes will be VERY small at 1 power. If not the reticle would be rediculous huge. I'm really liking first focal plane optic (mark 6). Have both first and second focal plane optics.

If you want a consistent reticle, second focal plane would help for having an easy to see reticle from 1-(whatever power)
-The main disadvantage to second focal plane is it is only accurate at one power selection (max usually due to people wanting to be accurate at distance shots) some optics have special marks that aid in having min and max work.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the Burris 1-8x with the Ballistic Circle reticle. I wanted the FFP since I will not need the full 8x all that often but have the subtensions memorized and good at any magnification.

The glass is excellent and that extra 4x I get with this scope is much appreciated.

At 1x the circle and the dot is small enough that it will work well with steel and paper if the illumination is turned on. Without the illumination, at least for me, the circle and dot are just too fine for close targets. (Disclaimer: I'm an old fart and upgraded from the XTR 1-4, which I really like, due to piss poor eyesight. Folks with better eyesight may not feel about it as I do.)

The Burris no questions asked warranty is excellent. But that warranty don't mean much in the middle of a stage if the scope don't light up. (Another disclaimer: Out of one MTAC and four XTR scopes, I've only had the illumination go out on the MTAC and only when the ambient temperature got above 100 degrees. Sent in and replacement scope delivered in less than a week.)

Great scope but the jury is still out on the reticle.

Chad King

Well-Known Fanatic
Message Patrick Kelly on Facebook he's been using the XTR 1-8 few a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts