Anyone have experience with a good 20 ga for 3 gun

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
So my wife and I were leaving heartland a couple weeks ago and she says she might want to start shooting 3 gun with me, I know she can shoot pistol and the rifle is fairly easy to work on and not always key to the match, but shotgun can make or break, at least in my experience, the whole match. But she cant run the FN seeing as its just too big for her, so I want to get her a good 20ga thats light enough and has enough parts available so I can kit it up for her. Any ideas out there that dont cost 2600$. Thanks

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
benelli M2 in 20 is a good option.

That's the only Option other than an M1. Those little 20 gauges are so light. I want one so I can shoot it support hand only with my pistol in my other strong hand clearing targets at twice the pace.

Clucky C

9mm
I bought a (new) Weatherby SA-08 (20ga, 26") at SOONER STATE PAWN for $425.00.
It is light, but I don't know about parts availability, or if it would be good for 3gun, etc.
I'm sure the guys on this forum could advise you about that.

I think it's very cool that Lindsay wants to try 3 gun; I'm sure she will do well!

http://www.weatherby.../sa08_synthetic

Attachments

• synthetic_sa08.jpg
    synthetic_sa08.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 33

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Matt,
The only 20ga. tube extensions on my price sheet from Nordic are Benelli M1/M2 & Nova, Browning Gold, Remington 1100/1187/870.
Hopefully this will help narrow down your search. There may be other extensions out there for other shotgun options.

There are a few more accessories you may need/want but other than the tube, it's primarily just the cutting & polishing that needs to be done.

dennishoddy

That's the only Option other than an M1. Those little 20 gauges are so light. I want one so I can shoot it support hand only with my pistol in my other strong hand clearing targets at twice the pace.
What is it about that statement that makes me think your seriously considering this? :D

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
85 lb. Katie Harris shoots a 12 ga M1. Just saying!
I think if you can get the shotgun to fit her properly & with some practice, Lindsay could shoot a 12ga comfortably as well.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
After some testing today I should have a shotgun for her to run :D it's a 12ga but the recoil was the same if not a touch less than the 20ga that Mr Miller was shooting. Ya know those xtra-light 1145fps loads? yea had them running in the CZ! Kurt has a video I'll see if he can post it. If your intersted let me know and she can give the ol' shotgun a test drive to see if it would work for her. Later,

Kirk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
After some testing today I should have a shotgun for her to run :D it's a 12ga but the recoil was the same if not a touch less than the 20ga that Mr Miller was shooting. Ya know those xtra-light 1145fps loads? yea had them running in the CZ! Kurt has a video I'll see if he can post it. If your intersted let me know and she can give the ol' shotgun a test drive to see if it would work for her. Later,

Kirk
Also, tell her it's a 20 until after she decides if it's comfortable or not. If she's already got her mind made up that a 12 won't do, it won't. That phsycological thing will kill the objective decision making most times.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys, Kirk I may have to take you up on that, and for you Mr.Chambers, its not the size of the shell that inhibits her its the length and weight of the shotgun and such, I only said 20 ga because I think that would be easier for her to handle starting off. Shes shot my 308s and my 870 with no complaints other than the fact that shes 5'3" and cant get her arms around the weapon.

Kirk
Let me know Kirk, Im gonna talk to tony and be coming out to OKCgc sometime this week hopefully to try out some steel.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
McGuire, give Kurt a shout and ask him about the shotgun we played with, 12ga with less recoil than a ported 20ga hehe and the best part is you can shoot save the boobies shotshells and they are pink, all chicks like pink so there's a selling point LOL

Send me a PM with your number and we can meet up to see if the shotgun is light enough and isn't too long on the LOP, I've got an idea on how to shorten the LOP but life has been rather crazy the last few months. Later,

Kirk

threegungeezer

Well-Known Fanatic
Kirk,
I put an ATI stock on my 712 and it works well and is also adjustable for LOP through about a 3" range. My wife is starting to shoot and it helps the shotgun fit both of us. But, she is 5'6" not 5'3".

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
12 ga caddies will work. and the fit of the gun will more than make up for any "extra" recoil the 12ga might have. EVERYONE NEEDS to have the gun fit them, in order to shoot it at your very best potential.​

trapr​

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Thats what I figured...Im just gonna have to do some digging, Im thinking for the price and with a little work Kirk may be on to something with the CZ

Latest posts