Anyone bought bullets from Precision Delta lately?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
How was the lead time and how do they compare accuracy wise to the other bulk jacketed offerings? They spank everybody's pricing pretty good when you buy in bulk. Tempting...

45recoil

likes to party
I got some last week. Ordered them the friday before memorial day and got then the next friday. Havent loaded them up yet so i cant answer that part of your inquiry.

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott - What is bulk to PD? I'm trying a few different brands soon and plan to order about 5k once testing is done.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott C Taylor said:
Scott - What is bulk to PD? I'm trying a few different brands soon and plan to order about 5k once testing is done.
Well I don't know if it's a special sale or what as their website is pretty plain vanilla. But if you buy TWO 1k boxes they knock $28 off each box (that's 24%). Shipping is free. That's a pretty smokin price for jacketed HP.

I'm looking at the 124 grain JHP 9mm and the 115s are about the same markdown. I'm torn between those two, my "cheapass syndrome" is really kicking in.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Feegee Matlock said:
Check out BBI they are great!

dr poopgiggle said:
blue bullets

I'm getting like Brother Smalley. I do like the high-tech coated bullets that everybody is selling and they are cheaper, but the are still a tad smokey. Infinitely better than plain lead but I'm really liking these jacketed that I have been running in 9mm. I'll still use coated on the big bore stuff, it shoots much better than plated.

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Precision Delta has a "contact us for a bulk option" on the website but it appears to be dealers or OEM only. That's the reason I asked.

For me in .40 though, Xtreme in 180gr RNFP $110 shipped per 1k vs. $120 from PD.

Edit to ad: For the record, I have loaded a few thousand of the 124gr HP PD's and they are damn fine bullets. I'd go that route again if/when the time comes.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been using Montana Golds and I started to try the PDs, although I have been very happy with the MGs. I came across an article comparing a few brands. On their samples the MG were more consistent than on weight and dimensionally than the PDS.

I decided it wasn't worth the difference for me to bother testing and changing for the difference in price.

Let me know if you want to try a few.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Rick Howell said:
I've been using Montana Golds and I started to try the PDs, although I have been very happy with the MGs. I came across an article comparing a few brands. On their samples the MG were more consistent than on weight and dimensionally than the PDS.

I decided it wasn't worth the difference for me to bother testing and changing for the difference in price.

Let me know if you want to try a few.
For the bullet I'm looking at MG is $42 per thousand higher. I love that MG makes a great quality product and that they've supported our sport for years and years, but I just can't pay that kind of premium.

Edit: I just checked Powder Valley and if they were in stock, Hornady HAPs are cheaper than MG. Dang!

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm using case quantity on the 124g JHP that gets them in at $96 per 1000 shipped. But that is 3750 bullets to get to that price.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Rick Howell said:
I'm using case quantity on the 124g JHP that gets them in at $96 per 1000 shipped. But that is 3750 bullets to get to that price.
Well that's definitely not so bad.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Rick Howell said:
It looked to me that he was trying get away from exposed lead because of smoke.
Rick all the coated cast bullets are totally coated all over. They do smoke a little bit and gunk up your gun a little bit, but they are very close to plated or jacketed in both departments. Jacketed will run more accurately on a more consistent basis and will be slightly cleaner to boot. I've shot 1000's and 1000's of plain lead and when I've shot all I have loaded now, I'm done with plain lead forever. They are just plain nasty in comparison.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Scott, what is this load for? If it's for a minor PF load and you are looking for a light recoil load that is accurate, 147's are hard to beat. If you are looking for something a little snappier, the 124's are your ride. 115's are probably not the easiest to shoot or load for with our common competition load powders. Another thing that might be making smoke on the coated bullets could be your powder choice. Titegroup with coated bullets looks like a muzzleloader. WST or N320 on the other hand is almost smoke free. The other thing to consider is what your barrel likes. I have found very few people that have had different outcomes than I with the Extreme's in 9mm and that is basically a shotgun pattern past 20 yards for a group. The .40's are awesome. The blue bullets look great but are .355 diameter, which I have issues with even in my new .355 Shumann Ulti-Match (it likes at least .356). If you are shooting an M&P, the .357's from Bayou are your huckleberry. If you are set on the Jacketed, buying MG by the case is pretty economical. I have some MG 124JHP's you can try as well as some BBI 147's you can give a whirl. I am sure someone else will volunteer a few for you to try out before you buy a bunch.. Just FYI, the MG 124JHP and the PD 124JHP are within a few bucks at the MG case price.. (4000 PD124's are $356 - 3750 MG124's are $360) and they will both be more accurate than the gun.. :)

Latest posts