Anyone add weight to the stock to balance the shotgun better?

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
One of my shooting buddies went to a skeet range to get fitted for his 3 gun shotgun. They changed his stock (due to his height), and changed the comb (angle) of his stock. One thing the instructor also recommended, was to add weight to the butt stock since the guns we use in 3 gun are very nose heavy, especially when loaded with 10 or 12 rounds. Kinda made sense to me as I did the same thing with my rifle. I added a MagPul UBR stock because it's heavy and balanced the rifle better.

Instructor said the gun should balance 4 1/2" in front of the trigger guard when empty. Mine balanced several inches ahead of that. Took some lead fishing weights I had, wrapped them in a rag and put them in the stock. Then took extra cloth and shoved it in to keep the weights from moving. I added 7.9 ozs. Still need to add a little more to the rear to get it to balance were he said, but I have to say it felt like a different gun. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but doing dry fire practice and loading practice I like the way the gun swings and feels with the added weight. I will likely get some more weights to put in before shooting to to get the balance point were he recommended.

He said to use lead or steel shot in a heavy duty zip lock bag and also to shove some rag pieces in first so the weight is as far back as possible. I don't have any lead shot, might have to pick some up.

Worst case if I decide I don't like it, I can always take it out.

1. gotta be careful adding weight to an inertia gun. they run off of recoil.

2.Heed that instructors advice about stock fitting, but totally disregard what he told you about weight and balance in a three gun shotgun. they shoot one or two shots with 1sec splits, and have a 2rd mag tube.
You will never balance a gun with 12 shells in the mag tube and 4 seconds later, 0 shells in the tube.

3.You want weight forward, if anything. Big reason 26" and 28" barrels are popping up in the hands of good shooters, they tame recoil when shooting shotguns fast.

Its good to think outside of the box though, so kudos to you and your bud for that.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
My shotgun is a gas gun. Mossberg 930 JM Pro. Dealt with inertia gun weight issues on my Stoeger before. When I added my 12 shot tube, I had to take off the side saddle.

I'm gonna try it out. The weight I put in there was stuff I already had laying around. Worst case, if I don't like it, I can take it out.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Clay sports guns get swung back and forth pretty fast. 3-gun shotguns not so much. But I do believe in the fact that a balanced gun is a good thing.

The gas guns are very front heavy. Inertia guns feel way more balanced and light.

dennishoddy

Just rambling here for historical purposes, but back in the day, Some competition shotguns had a sliding rail in front of the forearm to attach weights for balance.

Just this last Steel Challenge at OKC, one of the competitors on our squad had a classic competition .22 with sliding weights on the barrel.

Jesse Tischauser said:
Clay sports guns get swung back and forth pretty fast. 3-gun shotguns not so much. But I do believe in the fact that a balanced gun is a good thing.

The gas guns are very front heavy. Inertia guns feel way more balanced and light.
how do you balance a gun that is anywhere between 0 and 16 ounces heavier at any given moment?

this is a lot like when guys get super hung up with the weight and balance of their limited guns. I tell them that they go from an empty mag last shot, to a brand new 21 rounds in the mag almost every stage and no one notices this.
cause its all about the timing of the front sight/bead

Tuflehundon said:
I'm getting ready to add an XRail to it as well. So it'll be super front heavy when loaded.
thats something that definitely could warrant aft balancing. Look into one of those Lead AR-15 stock weights they use for high power rifle shooting.see if you can carve that up to fit. that would be interesting

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Here is the mostly finished product. Xrail came in today, my red dot should be in this weekend. I do like the added weight in the stock with the Xrail up front. Seems to swing better than the one I borrowed to try out that didn't have any weight added. She is heavy as hell loaded, but not super nose heavy so it's not bad. I'm gonna take her out this weekend and do a local 3gun match. That'll be a better test than just messing around with it at the house.

I call her Bertha

Latest posts