Anybody running a Wilson competition fiber front sight?

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm thinking about procuring a CQB and would like to keep Wilson sights on it, but I don't know if I can warm up to this set up. I run Dawson as my preferred front sight currently. This pistol would be run in matches so it will have a fiber front sight on it, just a question of which one. The standard Wilson fiber front looks to have a thick fiber like a Novak (which I have on a Colt). I'd prefer a skinnier fiber, or perhaps Wilson's set up with the small aperture in front of the fiber on the competition sight. Just might take some getting used to. Looks like it might snag anything that gets within its reach.

opplanet-wilson-combat-snag-free-fiber-optic-front-sight-competition-367cfog140-main.jpg

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I think your thoughts are spot on. While this may be a wonderful competition sight, it does appear as if it may snag clothing

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got a partridge (versus ramped) serrated Dawson like this on a pistol and even it gets "grabby", although it's great at not reflecting bright sunlight.

050_280__19720.1439822765.jpg

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
As much as I'd like to run Wilson sights on a Wilson pistol, I think the increased depth of the WC Battle Sight U-notch, versus my preferred 10-8 U-Notch means I might not be running a Wilson sight on this pistol in the rear, which means I really have no compelling reason to run a WC on the front either.

Guess I answered my own question.

Last edited:

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
As personal as sights are I would just run a different front sight.

I've never seen one like that Wilson before. But I like the bigger dot of the Novak. Dawson on the left Novak on the right C7E66302-3190-4202-9D8E-22E437FE65CA.jpeg

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
As personal as sights are I would just run a different front sight.

I've never seen one like that Wilson before. But I like the bigger dot of the Novak. Dawson on the left Novak on the right View attachment 3071
I run the Dawsons on some, and have the Novaks on a Colt that I sent to them to dovetail the slide. Both run well for me. The smaller fiber just seems to "feel" better to me on longer shots on the clock.

Last edited:

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I run one on an STI Trojan...and i have Dawsons. I like the larger diameter of the Wilson...better for my aging eyes. You can still get a thinner front sight but the fiber optic will just take up more space.

You can also alter a Dawson...i did to try out the larger fiber optic before i bought the Wilson sight. I drilled out the Dawson front sight with a 1/16" bit and installed a Tru Glo fiber optic (.060" diameter), it fit perfect. Cost me all of about $7...it worked well so i bit the bullet and bought a Wilson sight...

aaronsappl

Fanatic
I didn't see this post. I run the competition front sight on my Wilson in IDPA. All my 1911's have a gold bead. Was looking for a FO sight, and do not like Wilson's regular FO. The competition sight uses the same size fiber optic tube but the aperture makes it smaller. Also the sight itself is narrower than my gold bead sights. I have used it about 4 months and love it. Very accurate on longer distance shots too. I am thinking about putting on all my range 1911's. Some of the Wilson team is using them.

zb338

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the Colt fiber optic sight on my new Gold Cup .38 Super. It's a nice sight picture
but I don't particularly care for the looks of it.

Zeke

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Have several Wilson's with their "Battle sights" with the fiber optic. they all work great for me. Sights are very personal, depending on one's eyesight, the purpose of the pistol (target, IDPA, low light or night sights, purely defensive, hunting) so, if you get a good sight picture, hold steady with a good trigger press, assuming your sight is adjusted well, your sight will work just fine, regardless of the type.

Rob Biedermann

Active Fanatic
I run a Dawson on my S&W M&P9 Pro for USPSA Production for several years. I preferred the smaller FO (0.040) when I was younger, but have gone back to the factory S&W front sight with a 0.060 FO now because I see it better - old guy disease! . I did break 2 Dawson front sights during matches when I was shooting a lot of matches, but I don't blame that on Dawson, just that it was a competition sight...

On my 1911s, I ran a WC Snag Free FO front for a while. No durability or snagging issues or lost FO elements. I ended up going to a Wilson Combat/AmeriGlo Snag-Free Front Sight, Green Tritium with Orange Outline (see below). I have gold dots on a few S&W revolvers and another WC Master Grade Commander, but can't see them as well as the WC/Ameriglo sight.

Like marinedoc said, sights are very personal. I had to plow through a few until I found what worked for me...

Best of luck finding what works for you...

1566410866139.png

aaronsappl

Fanatic
I have appx 5000 rounds on my WC competition fiber optic front sight. I really like it a lot, fast at close distance and very accurate at distance.

Latest posts