Anybody own a diesel vehicle?

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
You read it right...So I got the truck and I am in love. All the quotes are pouring in for the full wrap. I know the maintenance is a little more and so forth. Anybody have any tips for owning and driving a diesel. A customer told me yesterday that when I arrive at my destination I need to let the truck idle for about 5 minutes to let the turbo cool down before shutting it off. Then somebody told me to change the fuel filters every 5000 miles when I do the oil change. Anybody know the hype with Amsoil? not sure if I spelled it right but another customer sells it and says its good for 25,000 miles between oil changes...If anybody else has any diesel tips for me I'm open ears. I am new to this and want to do everything I can to keep this bad boy out of the shop...One thing is for sure. Everybody that gave me tips agreed that the #1 shop is performance Diesel on long point road. I thought about giving them a call and just introducing myself and asking a few questions but I'm sure they are busy and don't have time to do question and answer.

Schultz

Well-Known Fanatic
I take it there's no warranty left on it? The reason I ask is if you have problems Ford will void the warranty if performance parts are used. Letting it idle for a minute or two is good thing to do on a diesel it does help the turbo cool a little. IMO stay away from Amsoil I used it it a few years ago in a street engine lost several bearings because of it. I've worked on a few diesels in my time and I've learned your best bet is following the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. If you consider a chip research is key some will do more harm than good. I have heard good things about Bully Dog tuners and exhaust products tho, I have a friend that has the GT tuner, He does a lot of towing and says it helps performance wise. They are pricey tho. http://www.bullydog.com/index.php

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had 2 diesels, 2006 ford 250, 2005 VW passat.

Keep your fluids changed.

Don't buy diesel where it doesn't get used a lot, Tanks that get filled and emptied often are less like to have moisture and sediment. Headspace in a storage tank that is seldom used give moisture a place to hang out and rust in the tank, then that rust falls off when they refill the tank a few weeks later and you pump it into your tank. Truck stops are your friend.

If you can find a pump near you that has a truck nozzle (the big one) you can fill your truck in less than half the time.

Make sure you have fuel. That sounds stupid, but until you have driven one for a while you might not realize where all the (good) diesel pumps are. Plus some don't have pay at the pump (annoying to me, you might not care). just keep fuel in your tuck so you don't end up having to buy at a Citgo or something out of necessity.

If you run BD blends, check your fuel filters often and grab a spare. BD acts a a solvent and will clean out any gun in you tank and lines if you are buying a older vehicle. This isn't bad, but the filter will clog up, be prepared.

Your engine is essentially an air pump, The more air in, and more air out, the more fuel you can burn and more power you get.

Drive that sucker. That's why you bought it. Stay up on maintenance and it wont be much worse than a gas burner for the first 60k or so, after that, presuming you do all the maintenance, it will on average be cheaper to maintain.

04ctd

Well-Known Fanatic
North of North Chuck, South of Scummerville
i have had bad luck with Bully Dog, long story, but i would not.

John @ Perf Diesel is good..just BUSY....very BUSY, if you got a 6.0, you may find out why.

hoover dodge does a diesel oil change for ~$30 if you carry in your own fluid & filter.

Geno's Garage (google it) used to have "kits" where you got enough oil, filters & fuel filters for like 3 changes.

i have a dodge (cummins turbo diesel...duh!)

but i love it, i towed three times lately, 55~60mph up 165 from ravenel, which is a BAD road, and could not even tell it.
guys with me forget we were towing.

they can do some work!

i buy gas at the Pig / corner Ladson/78,
get pig perks, and always fresh, never a problem.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Schultz said:
IMO stay away from Amsoil I used it it a few years ago in a street engine lost several bearings because of it.
OK Schultz if you're going to make a statement like that I wanna hear the details!

Schultz

Well-Known Fanatic
Clicker said:
Schultz said:
IMO stay away from Amsoil I used it it a few years ago in a street engine lost several bearings because of it.
OK Schultz if you're going to make a statement like that I wanna hear the details!

It's been a few years(early 80's) but we found out It lacks the properties suitable for engine break-in after we were told it was. The end result was two wiped bearings and a wasted crank, Haven't used it since.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
In that case I understand your reluctance. I can't help but think that the formula has evolved since the 80's.
I recently switched from Mobil 1 to Amsoil in my wife's BMW and my Toyota pickup.
Did a gear oil change in my son's Nissan PU also, not much to hurt with a manual trans I hope. Gonna try some in my Kawasaki next.
I doubt I'll reach the 25K mile limit before one year passes but I should get 10K between oil changes.

Schultz

Well-Known Fanatic
Clicker said:
In that case I understand your reluctance. I can't help but think that the formula has evolved since the 80's.

Maybe but since that incident and a bunch of research I learned synthetic should not be used at all for break in. I use synthetic in the better half's daily driver but not amsoil and refuse to use amsoil in anything after the way i was treated by them.

Latest posts