Any roller coaster fans here?

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
After reading about the pepper heads thread, and as a result, buying some tremendous new spicy dried peppers, I thought it might be fun to chat about roller coasters. Maybe because both will get the adrenaline and dopamine flowing in the body?

I avoid any structure that can be removed and put back up in less than 24 hours. Especially after the issues the NC Fair faced multiple years in a row.
I've never been to Carowinds on the border of North Carolina and South Carolina. I have been to Kings Dominion years ago that was fun.

My goal is to hit up Universal in Orlando, Florida sometime over the next year. I've been enjoying the more tame coasters at Disney World, but really enjoy the new Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind Coaster. Although I must say my favorite go-to coaster is the classic, Space Mountain, I don't find it scary at all, but always a good time.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
After reading about the pepper heads thread, and as a result, buying some tremendous new spicy dried peppers, I thought it might be fun to chat about roller coasters. Maybe because both will get the adrenaline and dopamine flowing in the body?

I avoid any structure that can be removed and put back up in less than 24 hours. Especially after the issues the NC Fair faced multiple years in a row.
I've never been to Carowinds on the border of North Carolina and South Carolina. I have been to Kings Dominion years ago that was fun.

My goal is to hit up Universal in Orlando, Florida sometime over the next year. I've been enjoying the more tame coasters at Disney World, but really enjoy the new Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind Coaster. Although I must say my favorite go-to coaster is the classic, Space Mountain, I don't find it scary at all, but always a good time.
I used to like the roller coasters at Busch Gardens, but as I've gotten older and have a lot of aches and pains from injuries received from getting a direct hit from a tornado and then a 4 year long recovery after a head on collision due to a drunk driver....I can't physically take it anymore. I miss the thrill.

dennishoddy

Rode one once in my youth. Uncle was in the Navy in San Diego, so we all packed up and went there for a vacation as mom wanted to see her sister.
There was a roller coaster that went out over the ocean from the beach and returned to the beach. At the top before the big plunge, there were signs saying, "keep hands down at all times."
There were parts of the supporting structure that was very close to the cars. So on the way down, the dummy three cars in front of us somehow undid the bar locking us into the seats, leaned over the side and was waving at someone on the way down.
When he hit the bar it decapitated him, throwing gore and blood all over the cars and people behind him.
Decided then that I didn't ever need to ride one again. Circus rides in general are a no-no, and I'm not scared of heights or crazy speeds.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Wow.

That just put it in perspective. I know a lot of folks try to touch things in Space Mountain (since you can't see the tracks) but no one has ever had an issue like you mentioned. Wow....that....is just a lot to take in.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Rode one once in my youth. Uncle was in the Navy in San Diego, so we all packed up and went there for a vacation as mom wanted to see her sister.
There was a roller coaster that went out over the ocean from the beach and returned to the beach. At the top before the big plunge, there were signs saying, "keep hands down at all times."
There were parts of the supporting structure that was very close to the cars. So on the way down, the dummy three cars in front of us somehow undid the bar locking us into the seats, leaned over the side and was waving at someone on the way down.
When he hit the bar it decapitated him, throwing gore and blood all over the cars and people behind him.
Decided then that I didn't ever need to ride one again. Circus rides in general are a no-no, and I'm not scared of heights or crazy speeds.
Awful! Darwin award for that one.

dennishoddy

Wow.

That just put it in perspective. I know a lot of folks try to touch things in Space Mountain (since you can't see the tracks) but no one has ever had an issue like you mentioned. Wow....that....is just a lot to take in.
Amazingly the roller coaster stayed in business until the 90's. I had to look it up. It's the Giant Dipper at Belmont Park. Opened in 1925, way before OSHA and the public's safety was a priority.