Any pepper heads here?

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/pages/what-are-hatch-chiles

It's out and about & this fall harvest time so many more options will be available soon.

Hatch pepper is a line of peppers from no heat, to melt you face. So be careful which one you make, grow or order. They are hybrids.

We don't grow Hatch as their are sooo many better tasting peppers like Red ripe Serranos, Orange Scotch bonnet, Aji Mango etc.

Make your own. We just made a fresh batch of Pineapple Scotch bonnet jam. WOW it's great. 1 ripe pineapple x 4 Scotchies reg jam rescope.

Thanks Mike ! I will be making some of this jam soon!

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
this has been a great thread.
I have learned a lot & have a new pepper jam recipe too!.
Thanks for starting it. not a topic I would expect to see on here, but it's a great one.
Today after telling my daughter about this thread, she asked me if I wanted to try some pepper x.....and i said heck no!
but thanks to her & her fiancee....I am eating some really good ghost pepper beef jerky now ( from Osceola Cheese Co., in Osceola, Mo. )
https://osceolacheese.com/
Last night on my way home from Kansas city, I stopped at osceola cheese co. and bought more ghost pepper jerky & some red pepper jam ( made with Jalapeno's )
Mike A1 knows his peppers !!! I may have some questions for him in the summer. My daughter & Fiancee want to start growing their own peppers
I learned quite a bit about growing them this morning when I went to the magicplantfarms web site. I don't think I'm ready for the hot stuff they sell.
Thanks for posting/starting this topic

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
I stop there every time I go to kansas city. They have many kinds of cheeses, jams, and the ghost pepper jerky is right at the edge of my maximum hotness level. My daughter & her fiancee eat stuff way hotter than I can. they're still working on getting my hotness level up.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Working on the new peppers for next season.

Aji chombo. A hot spicy tropical pepper from Panama.
1704998993447.png

Aji Fantasy a mild tropical pepper for just eating out of hand,.

1704999167342.png

Aji rainforest meium heat with a sweet tropical flavor.
1704999259315.png

I have seeds arriving all the time from fellow pepper heads all over the world, so there's more coming.
24 is shaping up to be a great season so far.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Working on the new peppers for next season.

Aji chombo. A hot spicy tropical pepper from Panama.
View attachment 34014

Aji Fantasy a mild tropical pepper for just eating out of hand,.

View attachment 34015

Aji rainforest meium heat with a sweet tropical flavor.
View attachment 34016

I have seeds arriving all the time from fellow pepper heads all over the world, so there's more coming.
24 is shaping up to be a great season so far.
Makes my mouth water.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Two seasons ago I grew the Chili Chalaca fresh, dried it's the Pasilla Bajio aka. Little raisen.
I have grown the Chili Guajillo it dries red not brown & ripens much faster than the Chili Chalaca.

Peppers come in all flavors & heat levels, it's the flavor we are looking for with the Pasilla peppers
used for salsas, chilis, & Moles a spanish gravy that's sooo good.

So down the rabbit hole I go once again. A fellow pepper grower in Wa. state sent me some very rare
Pasilla chili varieties. The only catch is I must grow these 5' & 6' monsters in 5 gal buckets not in the ground.
Frost comes too soon for this type of Mexican Heirloom pepper. So this season I will take the plants & move them
indoors under LED lights & into heat, to finish ripening.

If I can ripen 5 or 6 plants under lights it will prove I can grow these unique & rare peppers here in the USA & get
enough pods to make it worth it. I said it was a Wabbit hole :p LOL.

https://pepperscale.com/pasilla-pepper/

Chili Chalaca:
1705146468076.png1705147505464.png

Fresh Chili Guajillo, lower left.
1705146632055.png1705147769872.png

chiliinabowl

Active Fanatic
Two seasons ago I grew the Chili Chalaca fresh, dried it's the Pasilla Bajio aka. Little raisen.
I have grown the Chili Guajillo it dries red not brown & ripens much faster than the Chili Chalaca.

Peppers come in all flavors & heat levels, it's the flavor we are looking for with the Pasilla peppers
used for salsas, chilis, & Moles a spanish gravy that's sooo good.

So down the rabbit hole I go once again. A fellow pepper grower in Wa. state sent me some very rare
Pasilla chili varieties. The only catch is I must grow these 5' & 6' monsters in 5 gal buckets not in the ground.
Frost comes too soon for this type of Mexican Heirloom pepper. So this season I will take the plants & move them
indoors under LED lights & into heat, to finish ripening.

If I can ripen 5 or 6 plants under lights it will prove I can grow these unique & rare peppers here in the USA & get
enough pods to make it worth it. I said it was a Wabbit hole :p LOL.

https://pepperscale.com/pasilla-pepper/

Chili Chalaca:
View attachment 34050View attachment 34052

Fresh Chili Guajillo, lower left.
View attachment 34051View attachment 34053
That's all quite impressive. I gave up on growing my own years ago. I just never could make the yield worth the effort. I sure do enjoy peppers though (or as a former college from Utah would always correct me, "chilies"). Luckily we have a local bbq joint that does their own Hatch Chili Festival ever year so I can stock up.

I really enjoy making my own sauces and salsas. I have definitely lost my taste for jarred salsa, they are all bland and not nearly hot enough.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
. I gave up on growing my own years ago. I just never could make the yield worth the effort.
Do you get any killing frost where you are?
I've been to the coast outside of Charleston getting wet going after Oysters in February & it was not too bad temp wise.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
We have some very cold weather coming in next week about milton, fl. We could reach 20 F.
Were headed into the 30s for high temps this week with snow & ice.
Freezing Game Of Thrones GIF
Global warming???
Climate Change Earth GIF
Warning Climate Change GIF by BuzzFeed
Climate Change Our House Is On Fire GIF by GIPHY News
Stan Laurel Lol GIF

dennishoddy

We have some very cold weather coming in next week about milton, fl. We could reach 20 F.
We just went through 4 days sub zero temps at night with highs during the day around 10 degrees here in North Central Oklahoma. Tomorrow will be the first day above freezing in that time period hitting a balmy 40 degrees.
We will be heading for Gulf Shores Alabama for a couple of months in the RV next week. Back to T-shirt, shorts and flip flop weather in the daytime anyway.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
WE will hit 19-21 as a low tonight between milton FL and Pensacola and we are not too far from gulf shores, AL. I have been sawing splitting fire wood, got dripping water from the faucets, and tried protect my citrus. Put some mulch over my pakistan mulberry that is cold sensitive. Thing is my house was designed for hot weather and not sealed or insulated properly for cold. 26 F and below is a hard freeze.

dennishoddy

WE will hit 19-21 as a low tonight between milton FL and Pensacola and we are not too far from gulf shores, AL. I have been sawing splitting fire wood, got dripping water from the faucets, and tried protect my citrus. Put some mulch over my pakistan mulberry that is cold sensitive. Thing is my house was designed for hot weather and not sealed or insulated properly for cold. 26 F and below is a hard freeze.
That storm that's hitting you now is the one that went through us. I just looked up Gulf Shores on the weather. We are three degrees warmer than they are at this moment. 34* there, 37* here.