Any one in Tulsa that can help me out with this?

White Kid

The American Reaper
I was wondering if there's anyone that's good in or around Tulsa that can mill out the front sight on my 1911 so I can put a new font sight on?
Of course though I need to get the front sight first so it could be a perfect fit, I'll be getting that I think either in 2 weeks or s the first or second week of March.
So if anyone knows so someone or if anyone on here can do it please let me know! :)
Thanks!

White Kid

The American Reaper
Stone Dudley said:
A gunsmith doesn't have a set "fee". It all depends on what you get exactly and how long it takes to finish it. Kevin does amazing work you can't go wrong with him.
Do you have anything he's worked on and if so post some pictures?
I was thinking about seeing Dr. Barry Greyson, but my dad don't feel like driving all the way to OKC.

But couldn't not having a set fee be kinda difficult to consider on? Like what if all the work is done and you expect it to be only $200 of work but it turns out being actually $350? So couldn't that be a problem?
Well, does this Kevin guy have an hourly fee at least?

Topshotdudley

Team Scalpel Arms
Zander Pharr said:
I was thinking about seeing Dr. Barry Greyson, but my dad don't feel like driving all the way to OKC.

But couldn't not having a set fee be kinda difficult to consider on? Like what if all the work is done and you expect it to be only $200 of work but it turns out being actually $350? So couldn't that be a problem?
I don't have any pictures. He's a great smith. I doubt a front sight change will be in excess of $200. Call him. Go to USSA and you can find him.

Southpaw

Well-Known Fanatic
Kevin is an amazing gunsmith on the 1911 /2011 platform. Just call the range or stop by Im certain he can give you pricing and recommendations for anything you could or would ever think about doing to a 1911/2011 platform

Southpaw

Well-Known Fanatic
Zander Pharr said:

PM Jake S on here, he's got 2 of Kevins customs and his GF has one too . All recent work. Id love to post a pic of mine but I'm still waiting on the last shipment of parts for him to complete mine

jeffhughes

Well-Known Fanatic
Zander Pharr said:
This "Kevin Guy" is one of the finest 1911/2011 gunsmiths in the country.

I suspect he quotes by the job, not by the hour. For example it might take him less time than a less experienced smith to perform the task you seek. Should he charge less?

White Kid

The American Reaper
jeffhughes said:
This "Kevin Guy" is one of the finest 1911/2011 gunsmiths in the country.

I suspect he quotes by the job, not by the hour. For example it might take him less time than a less experienced smith to perform the task you seek. Should he charge less?
Nah, I just don't wanna show up like I guess with the wrong amount of money and then feel kinda dumb for not having all the money.
But I'll check him out and stuff, all that I'm needing done it to have the front sight milled out so I can put in a nice fiber optic, so hopefully the price for the work won't be like an arm and a leg.

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
You know you can ship a slide to any gun Smith without a ffl. No need to drive anywhere.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

White Kid

The American Reaper
Ryan Alexander said:
You know you can ship a slide to any gun Smith without a ffl. No need to drive anywhere.

Yeah that is true, but fro some reason my dad wants to drive so I ain't gonna argue with him on that.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I'm assuming that your 1911 has the GI rear dovetail.

When you send/drive the gun/slide to a smith have both the front and rear done at the same time. For an iron sight comp gun you want a rear sight that presents a serrated flat to your eye with most likely a serrated fiber optic front. Look at most every gun used for this stuff and you'll notice that if they don't have a Bomar clone rear they have something that looks like one from the shooter's perspective. Send the gun to someone familiar with guns built for what you want to do with it and let them provide the sights and do the mill work. This is also the time you should decide if you want the slide flat topped. Bomar or Novak rear sight cuts are very popular and a ton of sights are made to fill them. You will easily be able to find a rear sight you like that fits one or the other.

You will be much happier with that gun as the years pass if you go ahead and get a nice set of sights installed. As most people spend time shooting they realize that they will be happier with quality guns done the way they want them than a bunch of guns that seemed neat at the time but just didn't hold their interest. Instead of getting that Kahr you're talk about I'd spend the money on this project if I were you.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Just for giggles... go to the novack websight or Springfield Armory custon shop.
They quote by the job.... novack lays out the ins and outs pretty good.

A good set of sights will run about $130 more or less... Id expect to drop at least that on the mill time its gonna take

Ipsilateral

Well-Known Fanatic
Out of curiosity, what ever happened to Terry Boehler? He cut my slide for Novak sights when he was at Nowlin's guns round 2006, and he did a nice job at a nice rate.

tul9033

Founding Member
Has anyone talked to Kevin Toothman? As far as I know he hasn't been at USSA for some time and no one in my shooting circles has contact info for him

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
Terry does some work still. Kevin is still at ussa as of a month ago.

Latest posts