Any of you feel like your possessions own you?

Buddha

Fanatic
Or do I have a screw loose?

Even before my divorce, (worth every last thin dime) my home has always had allot of crap my family members or I have lost interest in or inherited from deceased relatives. After the divorce both of my kids moved with my X into the house I bought, yet never stepped foot in, and left allot of crap behind. I sobered up because there wasn't any reason to drink any more, and now I'm overwhelmed with all the possessions I used to have time for. Four bedroom house, three motorcycles, two trucks, tools and a bunch of crap I might need one day. Then I bought another fixer upper in the sticks close to Millersburg I want to retire at in five years 45 minutes away my GF moved into, and now I never see her.. I love it out there, but 45 minutes to far to drive when I just jump the bus every morning for work here in liberal Iowa City.

So yeah, sometimes I wish I owned nothing. A homeless guy with a credit card.. All I really want to do is garden, sip home made lemonade and look across the rolling hills of Iowa with good friends and conversation.

Anyone?

67745694_2415676798479679_5013941372491661312_o.jpg

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

Even before my divorce, (worth every last thin dime) my home has always had allot of crap my family members or I have lost interest in or inherited from deceased relatives. After the divorce both of my kids moved with my X into the house I bought, yet never stepped foot in, and left allot of crap behind. I sobered up because there wasn't any reason to drink any more, and now I'm overwhelmed with all the possessions I used to have time for. Four bedroom house, three motorcycles, two trucks, tools and a bunch of crap I might need one day. Then I bought another fixer upper in the sticks close to Millersburg I want to retire at in five years 45 minutes away my GF moved into, and now I never see her.. I love it out there, but 45 minutes to far to drive when I just jump the bus every morning for work here in liberal Iowa City.

So yeah, sometimes I wish I owned nothing. A homeless guy with a credit card.. All I really want to do is garden, sip home made lemonade and look across the rolling hills of Iowa with good friends and conversation.

Anyone?

View attachment 28724
I have a lot of "stuff" accumulated too, a large part because of my other half. I figure I'll be dead before her because of our 15yr age difference lol. On the other hand, I also have accumulated a goat pile of my own stuff, so in all fairness, we both contribute to the "stuff," just in different ways. If anything happens to her before I die, I'M GETTING RID OF EVERYTHING I do not absolutely need! Then if I'm still able to, I'm moving to Tennessee.

Buddha

Fanatic
I have a lot of "stuff" accumulated too, a large part because of my other half. I figure I'll be dead before her because of our 15yr age difference lol. On the other hand, I also have accumulated a goat pile of my own stuff, so in all fairness, we both contribute to the "stuff," just in different ways. If anything happens to her before I die, I'M GETTING RID OF EVERYTHING I do not absolutely need! Then if I'm still able to, I'm moving to Tennessee.

I just answered a request for a record player on freecycle because I'd rather give my stuff to people in need than any charity.

But if I were to give stuff to goodwill and I feel its worth ten dollars, how much less would I pay in taxes? Ive never deducted ever.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I just answered a request for a record player on freecycle because I'd rather give my stuff to people in need than any charity.

But if I were to give stuff to goodwill and I feel its worth ten dollars, how much less would I pay in taxes? Ive never deducted ever.
We donate a lot of stuff to a local Outreach store. Great folks and a great cause. They also run a food pantry, and a rental for wheel chairs, shower chairs, etc. I never claim any donations for anything, that includes what I give to church. Personal choice, for me at least. I do claim property taxes tho, lol. That's not a donation!

Buddha

Fanatic
We donate a lot of stuff to a local Outreach store. Great folks and a great cause. They also run a food pantry, and a rental for wheel chairs, shower chairs, etc. I never claim any donations for anything, that includes what I give to church. Personal choice, for me at least. I do claim property taxes tho, lol. That's not a donation!

Im not finding any local outreach store in Iowa City.. All we have is good will, and I take it claiming deductions isnt worth my time.

dennishoddy

Anyone?

View attachment 28724
I'm in the same boat with you. I have a lot of stuff because I might need it, and in the past probably did when I was restoring old farm implements to factory new condition and selling them as a hobby.
For the last 5 years we have spent 6 to 7 months a year in our RV touring the country.
The stress level when in the RV is zero. The only thing we think of when getting up in the morning is what can we do that is fun today.
We go to bed when tired and wake up when not tired. Sometimes we cook at the rig and sometimes we try the local restaurant scene.
I dread going home as it's going to be nothing but work.
We got home from 10 days trout fishing on Lake Tanneycomo in Missouri today with no water coming from our water well. The pump was running so I started the trek through the jungle of brush and trees to the top of the ridge we live on which is 3/10 mile away from the well. Found a wet spot, so now it's going to be a day or two with a chain saw getting trees cut to get a track hoe in there to dig up the line.
You get my drift?
I'm ready to sell everything and go on the road full time like some of our RV friends do.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm in the same boat with you. I have a lot of stuff because I might need it, and in the past probably did when I was restoring old farm implements to factory new condition and selling them as a hobby.
For the last 5 years we have spent 6 to 7 months a year in our RV touring the country.
The stress level when in the RV is zero. The only thing we think of when getting up in the morning is what can we do that is fun today.
We go to bed when tired and wake up when not tired. Sometimes we cook at the rig and sometimes we try the local restaurant scene.
I dread going home as it's going to be nothing but work.
We got home from 10 days trout fishing on Lake Tanneycomo in Missouri today with no water coming from our water well. The pump was running so I started the trek through the jungle of brush and trees to the top of the ridge we live on which is 3/10 mile away from the well. Found a wet spot, so now it's going to be a day or two with a chain saw getting trees cut to get a track hoe in there to dig up the line.
You get my drift?
I'm ready to sell everything and go on the road full time like some of our RV friends do.

That sounds like a great plan.

Latest posts