Any luck with Hi-Tec boots?

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm needing some new boots for my get around and shooting. I've seen Hi-Tec very at reasonable on Amazon. Just wondering if anyone has had some experience with them. My Merrills are no longer water proof and smell like a cat pissed in them. I'm a long way from footwear holding me back, so the Salomon shoes are not even an option.

thespaceghost

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi-Tec's are fine, made in China like everything else. Mid price boots. (way below $100) They are very similar to Original SWAT, Bates and others.

In about the $90-$100+ range you can get better boots that may last longer and may be waterproof. Converse/Reebok/5.11/Oakely/Under Armor etc

Check out Desert-Gear.com and get on their e-mailing list-they are always running big specials on boots. http://www.desert-gear.com/

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
I can't help with those. The only experience I have with Hi-Tecs was when they first came out with their BDU boots in 1993. All us road marching gear whores at Ft Campbell ran out to the Cav Store and bought some. Air Assault Sergeant was not impressed, and naturaly I loved the damned things. I don't think you can go wrong with more Merrills, Lowas, LaSportivas, or 5.10s. They all make decent approach shoes or light hikers that should fit your needs. I'm not sure I'd spend the money on Oakleys. No one I've talked to who owned them had much to say about how they held up.

I had hi-tec magnum boots, a couple of them, they were those lightweight fde military boots with the athletic shoe insoles. Loved em. Their commerical "hiking" ones are much chintzier, imo

Podman

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a pair of the hi-tec magnums and really like them. Used them when I used to ride motorcycles. Still wear them occasionally when it's cold or out in the woods.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a pair of Hi Tec hiking boots for years. I wore the soles down to nothing, but the uppers stayed completely intact. I loved them, but they discontinued that model and I have heard, like everything else, the quality has gone down hill from a decade ago.

Latest posts