Any Love for the Ruger Mini 30?

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Every time I get semi-serious about wanting one.....an AR comes on my radar and steals my money.
The price of the Ruger you may as well buy an AR. No knock on Ruger, but they have become cost prohibitive to me. But then I buy kits from M&A, or PSA buy a stripped receiver and go from there. The last AR that joined the family is a DPMS won on Gun Broker for $450.00. I bid on it as a joke and ended up winning it. I gave it to Miss LaDonna truly my better half. Now everybody is happy!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
My good buddy heard I was building M1As & brought me his rebarreled Mini 14 to accurize.
I will start by saying I will never again do that on any Ruger Mini.

The Mini is a fine example of the M14 format however it is very crudely made internals make it very hard to get the right
interaction between parts to get performance like a NM M1A. Stones & files were used only for finish but real metal changes were made
with power cuts. When I got done I had a good 4.5# 2 stage trigger with about 1/4# of useless flash removed the fat 20" SS Match
barrel shot 1/2 minute at 100 yards. I used Bisonite bedding compound for the unlined stock ( No metal stock liner like the M14) & isolated the
receiver from the wood.

While I did not make a penny on my Buddy's Mini it did satisfy my curiosity as how would the Mini shoot with a Match barrel & action job with bedding.

I would rather work on a Norinco M-14 than work on another Mini it's just so different.
WOW what a lot of work on the Mini.

TXPlt

Well-Known Fanatic
I've a Mini-14 and it's a decent shooter. But primarily have gone with the AR platforms (.223 and .300 BLK). The operating system of the mini is really cool though and there's just something classy about it.

Latest posts