Any Love for the Ruger Mini 30?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
When the Ruger Mini 30 came out I saw possibilities for a light weight Mountain rifle with power to spare.
I modified the rifles with Butler Creek Folding stocks they just rested on my back folded up with sling, easy carry in thick
tight Rotodendron Hells & up steep areas.

As for ammo I found a Sierra 30 cal 135 SP Single shot pistol bullet. A real deer killer that worked well on the
elusive Mountain white tails. Black bear & hogs are fair game with this caliber 7.62X39mm is easy to load works
with many powder & bullets. The Sierra 135 SSPB has been discontinued however there are other choices today.

Any one else have a mini 30? What do you use your Mini 30 for?
I use irons. What type optic do you use on your Mini?

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
"Any one else have a mini 30 ?"

I do.. Actually own both a Mini 14 & a Mini 30..& yeah, I like the Mini 30 better than the 14..
My Mini 14 was purchased a LONG time ago..back in my San Diego days..so bought it before 1985..
Was probably over 10 yrs. later, before I acquired my 1st AR-15 .-a pre Clinton-era ban Bushmaster rifle
Got my Mini 30 sometime after I moved to Mi. (in 1987) ..again before I got my Bushmaster.
I thought both Ruger rifles were pretty good, but rarely shot them..I spent most my range time with my pistols.

After I retired, I started shooting my rifles more..& grew to dislike the Rugers.
Reasons : 1st No way to mount a brass catcher..someone made a model for them..but were always SOLD OUT.
The way those rifles sling brass, as a hand loader, a brass catcher is a needed item.
2nd & ( even worst ) problem: very poor triggers on both rifles. Heavy , gritty, long-travel triggers.
When tried to shoot groups, trigger pull effort made the attempts disappointing.
This was remedied when I met Doug, my gunsmith. Had a trigger job on the mini 30, & couldn't believe the improvement.

My Mini 30 is a Ranch rifle, w/ machined receiver for Ruger rings..makes it easy to mount a scope..which I did.
After the trigger job, I was able to shoot groups!.. still no brass catcher & ran into :

problem #3 : difficult to attach a bipod mount. As I'm extra shakey, trying to shoot groups requires a rest, preferably a bipod.
The wood stock & even the Butler Creek Folding stocks( which I also had for both rifles) were not set up for a bipod, without modding them.
I wasn't into using You tube to solve all my problems, and around this time, I started using my Bushmaster, and other Ar's that
had joined the family.They're so easy to modify!

My Mini 14 was a pre-Ranch rifle model, so attaching a scope was a problem. Ended up using a B-Square (?) scope mount,
that in design & theory, should have worked great..but it didn't.
No matter how tightly I attached the mount, it's loosen while shooting.

I got tired of trying to problem solve the Rugers. Bought a PSA AR-15 upper chambered in 7.62 X 39 & it's been my go-to rifle, ever since.
A flattop upper, it was easy to mount a scope & brass catcher, as well as a stud below, for a bipod mount.
I will add that my handloads in 7.62 X39 , using .310" Hornady bullets & A/A 1680 or Shooter's World Blackout powders ,
are very accurate. .. 5 shot groups @ 50yds in under an inch.. with my not-so great shooting skill.

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
If I didn't have an SKS would maybe consider one?
The SKS is a fine rifle, I have 1 called an SKS-D it came with 3 AK 30 rd mags & was banned by Papa Bush soon there after.
Later they came in the short Paratrooper with shorter barrel, this one has the full length barrel It's just made to take AK Mags.

Last edited:

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought my Mini 30 because I didn't want a "commie gun" Ak , Sks, etc..
I wanted to support an American company (Ruger) and back then, AR's were available in .223/5.56 only..to my knowledge.
+ I wanted to match my Mini 14..both are SS models.
Too bad the Ranch Rifle didn't come out sooner, as I would've preferred buying one.

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought my Mini 30 because I didn't want a "commie gun" Ak , Sks, etc..
I wanted to support an American company (Ruger) and back then, AR's were available in .223/5.56 only..to my knowledge.
+ I wanted to match my Mini 14..both are SS models.
Too bad the Ranch Rifle didn't come out sooner, as I would've preferred buying one.
Exactly why I went with a PSAK!

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
good discussion. I owned a ruger mini14 and was pretty underwhelmed, sold it shortly thereafter. Prior to that had wanted the mini30. The itch in both calibers was scratched by other platforms.

Ruger makes a solid weapon, and has great customer service. Part of me still wants to try the mini30, but all ammo and components sold years ago, so likely that won't happen.

I've been successfully downsizing around here, as some of you know (-: and trying to fight the urge to add items

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Always liked them , never owned one .
Ruger copied the M14 to a degree. I took in a mini 14 in for a friend, & did a trigger job & bedding on it.
With a SS heavy BBL & scope it shot 1/2" at 100 yards, a nice shooting ground hogger with the right bullets.

Neat little American Made firearm with a lot of after market parts to modify the little carbine, & it only gets better with the 7.62X39mm IMHO. ;)
Warning :eek: I did get a decent trigger job 4.5 lbs, however I did say to him, no promises on this job this is freekin ODD & I will not do this to a Ruger again.
So be careful if you work on the Ruger trigger group, it's different than an M-14 in too many ways & I can't say it safe after that.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
When the Ruger Mini 30 came out I saw possibilities for a light weight Mountain rifle with power to spare.
I modified the rifles with Butler Creek Folding stocks they just rested on my back folded up with sling, easy carry in thick
tight Rotodendron Hells & up steep areas.

As for ammo I found a Sierra 30 cal 135 SP Single shot pistol bullet. A real deer killer that worked well on the
elusive Mountain white tails. Black bear & hogs are fair game with this caliber 7.62X39mm is easy to load works
with many powder & bullets. The Sierra 135 SSPB has been discontinued however there are other choices today.

Any one else have a mini 30? What do you use your Mini 30 for?
I use irons. What type optic do you use on your Mini?
I have a Mini-14 LEO/5.56, 30, and 300. All have Archangel stocks and either red dots or scopes. I had a chance at a Mini-14 in 6.8 but missed it by 2 hours. That would have completed the set. All have run without any problems. The 30 eats steel case ammunition and thus far hasn't had a firing pin issue. I love them.

krglorioso

Well-Known Fanatic
I love my stainless Mini-30. It shoots easy and reminds me very much of the M-1 rifle I used as a Marine over 60 years ago. It's also "Made in USA" and I always admired Bill Ruger and his company.

Ralph

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
This thread got me thinking.....it's been quite awhile since I shot my Mini 30..so this a.m., got it out , found some ammo, & headed to the range, for a quick session.
For those who may not know this, Ruger made 2 versions of the Mini 30, some had barrels with a .310" bore (believe these were the earlier rifles)
and some (later models ?) use a .308" bore, for std. 30 cal bullets.
Strangely, Ruger claims you can shoot any ammo thru either barrel ( ! ) .. ( this can't be optimal for velocity or accuracy)
If you care.. you can contact Ruger with your rifle's serial #, they can tell you which dia. barrel your rifle has.
If I remember correctly, all the later rifles have a .308 bore.

My rifle has a .308 " barrel.. so I'd loaded some brass with 130 gr .308 cal bullets, instead of the 125gr .310 dia pills I usually load my 7.62 X 39 rds. that feeds my
PSA AR upper, what I usually shoot. The attached pic was shot @ 50 yds. 1st shots were way too high ( maybe I'd sighted it in with 310 bullets ?-can't remember last time I shot it. Had to drop the scope 16 clicks to get it to hit where I was aiming it. My 1st 5 shots weren't even on the target!
RDS fired were loaded with A/A 1680 & Blackout..which are very similar ( or the same ? ) powder.mini 30.jpg

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I bought my Mini 30s first year they came out & with the AA 1680 w Mag primer & Sierra .308, 135gr SSPB I got
4" at 100 yards using open sights. This is what you would expect from a Mil spec M1 a good tight woods gun
where a shot may come at any range.

It's not as accurate as a bolt action yet it's light & potent with a fast second shot.
I did build 1 Mini into a sub minute gun with big azz scope I must add so they can
waste a lot of money unless you accept them for what they are, a copy of the M14
but just a civilian copy, just really for having fun.

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Good chassis for a good round.
My good buddy heard I was building M1As & brought me his rebarreled Mini 14 to accurize.
I will start by saying I will never again do that on any Ruger Mini.

The Mini is a fine example of the M14 format however it is very crudely made internals make it very hard to get the right
interaction between parts to get performance like a NM M1A. Stones & files were used only for finish but real metal changes were made
with power cuts. When I got done I had a good 4.5# 2 stage trigger with about 1/4# of useless flash removed the fat 20" SS Match
barrel shot 1/2 minute at 100 yards. I used Bisonite bedding compound for the unlined stock ( No metal stock liner like the M14) & isolated the
receiver from the wood.

While I did not make a penny on my Buddy's Mini it did satisfy my curiosity as how would the Mini shoot with a Match barrel & action job with bedding.

I would rather work on a Norinco M-14 than work on another Mini it's just so different.

Latest posts