Any experience with tungsten guide rods and/or Glock gen 4 adapters?

Josh Smash

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm using my carry Glock 19 to shoot limited division. I am looking at upgrading to a heavier guide rod in the future. After the first 100 rounds, I don't see any issues with my current stock spring. With the gun mentioned, would investing in the rod be worth the advantages(if any) that one could expect? Also, has anyone every had issues with using gen 3 springs in a gen 4? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
If you want to continue to use your g19, you should consider shooting it in production. You put yourself at a disadvantage shooting it in limited. You get minor scoring because of 9mm, shorter sight radius, no magwell, etc. If you want to shoot limited for the long haul, I'd suggest upgrading to a g35 or g24. The g19 is fine in the beginning but won't cut it in limited for the long run.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
But to answer your question, the guide rod adapters work fine

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
I shot my 27 in production. Once. Then I shot my full size M&P in production and limited. Wall hit the nail on the head with the sight radius. I upgraded to a M&P Pro in 40 and shoot that in limited. Moral of the story, sight radius rocks! The End

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Tungsten guide rod by itself won't make a huge difference. It's when you couple it with a magwell, and other parts to add weight that it's starts making a difference. I would just get a stainless guide rod for it.

Josh Smash

Well-Known Fanatic
Shooting limited/minor is fine with me. I am still improving with what I have and don't plan on buying a dedicated competition gun...yet. An Agency Arms mag well and Dawson sights are also wish list items. I understand and agree with all the suggestions but I wish to keep practicing with my carry gun...and full mags.

Would I notice a difference with a weighted guide rod in a compact gun? Or should I stick with factory parts?

Josh Smash

Well-Known Fanatic
Tuflehundon (Rob Gee) said:
Tungsten guide rod by itself won't make a huge difference. It's when you couple it with a magwell, and other parts to add weight that it's starts making a difference. I would just get a stainless guide rod for it.
Thanks for the info. I am not looking to add to much weight.

Ryan Groves

Well-Known Fanatic
Josh Smash said:
Shooting limited/minor is fine with me. I am still improving with what I have and don't plan on buying a dedicated competition gun...yet. An Agency Arms mag well and Dawson sights are also wish list items. I understand and agree with all the suggestions but I wish to keep practicing with my carry gun...and full mags.

Would I notice a difference with a weighted guide rod in a compact gun? Or should I stick with factory parts?
I recently put a TTI stainless guide rod with 13# spring in my G22. Can't say I notice a difference in the recoil or weight in and of itself (it's stainless not tungsten though). but the main advantage is being able to bring the power factor of my reloads all the way down to 125. Before with factory 18# spring, 125pf loads would not run reliably, I'd get the occasional slide short stroke/failure to feed so had to bring loads up to 135pf. With the 13# spring lower power factor loads run great. So in the end recoil was reduced because of the lower power factor enable by the guide rod spring, but not the weight of it itself.

I'd say if your doing reloads, spend the $25 and get the guide rod and spring (mine was the TTI and gen 4 adapter both from makereadyproshop). But if your using factory ammo highly doubt if you would notice a difference. Some say the lower spring weight should lower recoil when matched properly with ammo but I couldn't notice a difference with same 135pf loads with factory 18# vs aftermarket 13#.

Definitely get some good sights ASAP, will make a big difference and where I would/did put my money first. I have the Warren Tacticals I got on Amazon for $65, just looked and their out of stock there. Tony has the new TTI/Bob Vogel glock sights I'd definitely give a try. $84 with match delivery is hard to beat, and you can borrow my glock front sight socket driver and save yourself the extra $8, easy to install yourself.

Josh Smash

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Ryan. I didn't plan on playing with different spring weights. Looks like I will just wait and spend the extra money on a comp gun down the road. I haven't looked at the Taran sights. They look pretty slick. I'll send you a pm about the sight tool when the time comes.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to comment. Your advice is much appreciated.

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
I was a big fan of the Dawson sights on my Glock. Might not be the best choice for a carry gun, but they worked really well for me in production with my Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
My thought's on a carry gun is leave it alone! don't mess with the trigger, reason IF you have to pull it your going to be so pumped up the trigger pull is going to be light even if it's a 8# NY trigger, sights your not going to take your time and aim cause your mind is going to be running a gazillion things. Now if your wanting to shoot limited with your carry pistol ( I shot my G23 for awhile ) I'd say shoot it like it is so your used to it. There is a big difference between shooting for score and just having something to shoot, sights, magwells, guide rods and all the cool kid stuff have their place, I've got a G24 for playing but it's always a good idea to run the carry pistol so you don't forget how it works just in case.

I shot my G23 for awhile until I could afford to get my G24 and ya know I really didn't have much issue shooting USPSA with it besides the 13 rounds I got to load more than my 20 round mags for the G24 BUT it will work like it is! honestly Tony has a good point about shooting production over limited and that is 10 rounds you will have to work on your reloads and the 9mm doesn't matter in production. That's my thoughts and well they are probably worth as much as you paid for them lol Later,

Kirk

Josh Smash

Well-Known Fanatic
Of course, reliability is a must for me. The biggest change would have been the guide rod, but I think I will wait until a different project. I don't intend to play with different triggers, connectors or spring kits. Not for this gun at least. As far as better/quality sights, I would rather "have and not need, than need and not have." Plus I think finger adjustable is good for scopes, but bad for fixed pistol sights.

Josh Smash

Well-Known Fanatic
I remember reading when the gen4 g19 came out, the factory spring was to strong and stove pipes became an issue. I just wanted to know if the money would be better spent on a heavy rod or more ammo.

Latest posts