Another new 1911 ? this one from Savage!

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
No go for me. $1400 MSRP with no front strap checkering.

It is a pretty nice looking gun, like the rail. Might be possible (depending on the actual retail price) that I would consider one in stainless, could get front strap done and not have to worry about refinishing. Well, assuming there is enough material to checker, I would guess there would be.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
No go for me. $1400 MSRP with no front strap checkering.

It is a pretty nice looking gun, like the rail. Might be possible (depending on the actual retail price) that I would consider one in stainless, could get front strap done and not have to worry about refinishing. Well, assuming there is enough material to checker, I would guess there would be.
The front strap thickness is a definite question. I sent an older Springfield MilSpec out to have some work done on it. One thing I asked for was vertical groves put in the front strap like the Colt custom shop did. Turns out that the front strap was too thin (if I remember correctly) to do that, however the offered to do a checkered front strap for me, and to cut a high hold, and refinish it for a very reasonable cost. Of course I said yes, and they got it done. Turned out beautifully, and I believe it is 25LPI. It remains the only gun I own with anything done to the front strap. Generally I'm to cheap to do much to any of mine. :)

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I think I posted about a low cost option to having the front strap checkered on a 1911..
.Last time I asked, price to have it done by a gunsmith was $300.00 , and that was a few yrs.ago..

here's a review I wrote for another forum..might have posted it here, some time ago :
The Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Frontstrap..

Had wondered about this product for several years, had been thinking about trying it on one of my 1911's..finally bought one, it arrived today, so decided to put it on .
May not look as nice as a skilled gunsmith checkering job, but cost only 10%, (or less than that) of having it done.

here's a link to this Wilson Combat product : https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Checker...ductinfo/100S/
interesting to note, on the Wlison Combat website, all responders rated it 5 stars. (!)

My rating wouldn't be so high... here's why.. it didn't fit my 1911. Well it didn't fit the first one I tried to install it on.
Since having a 40 S&W barrel fitted to my Colt Delta Elite, I've been shooting it a lot more.

Decided to put the Wilson front strap on my Delta frame..& discovered.. it didn't fit.

Tried several times... the metal stamping isn't wide enough to go around the front strap & tuck under the handgrips, as they're supposed to be installed.
My Delta is currently wearing a pair of VZ Recons Magwell Full Size Gun Grips. This is a pair of very aggressive textured, G-10 grips.
I didn't look for my oem grips..as comparing this pistols frame, to another 1911 I have ( a GI spec Springfield Armory 1911)
I noticed the Colt frame is "thicker" / wider, just beneath the trigger guard, the area just below where the mag release button/screw is located.

I compared this to a couple other Colt 1911's in my safe. The Combat Commander, though having a full size frame, has the area beneath the trigger guard, machined more concavely.
Quite a difference in appearance. Not as much metal beneath the trigger guard as on the Delta. The other Colt, a 70 Series Govt model,
does not have the same thicker / wider area beneath the trigger guard. It's a much older pistol than the Delta & It's front strap has already been professionally checkered

The Springfield Armory 1911 is wearing a copy of VZ grips, bought off Amazon, called "E Gun Grips H1-J4-11 G10 Tactical Aggressive Texture Pistol Grips for Full Size 1911 Handguns, Dark Ops "
the Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Front strap fit around the Springfield's frame just fine & the grips seem to be holding it firmly in place. Looks & fits well on this 1911.
Will give an update on how it works after it's had some rounds fired.

My "Caveat emptor " is.. this might be a great bargain for those who want to improve their front strap grip, without the high cost of a gunsmith checkering job..
IF it fits your pistol...

I was a bit surprised to learn it wouldn't fit on my Delta.. & wonder if the Delta has a bit "beefier" frame, than other 1911's made for less powerful calibers.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.." The dual spring system sounds strange." I agree, & would like to actually how their dual spring system works.
My Colt Delta (10mm) came with dual springs, one spring inside the other, both fitting over the (short / PLASTIC, guide rod)
My Sig Sauer 226 S ( in 40 S&W ) also uses a dual spring system, it also has a smaller spring inside the larger one, both fitting over the guide rod.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
.." The dual spring system sounds strange." I agree, & would like to actually how their dual spring system works.
My Colt Delta (10mm) came with dual springs, one spring inside the other, both fitting over the (short / PLASTIC, guide rod)
My Sig Sauer 226 S ( in 40 S&W ) also uses a dual spring system, it also has a smaller spring inside the larger one, both fitting over the guide rod.
G26 recoil spring
1671897866440.png

squarebale19

Well-Known Fanatic

No mim parts, I've had good results from my dual recoil springs on sigs , sti,etc. price point is less than DW, we just need to know about reliability and customer service,crowned barrels a plus also, flattened top, damn im talking myself into it

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Talon Grips makes a piece that goes on front strap, edges pinned down by grips plus a super strong adhesive, I like them better than front strap checkering, not as pretty as 25 LPI but not bad, really grippy

Attachments

• 5F4787EA-016D-407D-8AD1-286B76307F2A.png
    5F4787EA-016D-407D-8AD1-286B76307F2A.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 9

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I would like like a modified one on a compact frame, 9x19mm, and a double column mag for ccw. I would want the slide a little wider. Big thing would be a decent trigger.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Haven't seen one yet, probably not till after the ****, ooops I mean shot show. Man it sounds nice! Bet It's pricey!
I see they're on Gun Broker for $1100-1200. For me the ambidextrous safety would have to go. Until it really proves itself, I will prefer my Sig & Les 1911's.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I see they're on Gun Broker for $1100-1200. For me the ambidextrous safety would have to go. Until it really proves itself, I will prefer my Sig & Les 1911's.
What do you see that needs proving for ambidextrous safeties?

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Number One; I do not purchase a $1000 1911 until I've read reviews, or have shot it and inspected it for myself. Number Two; I do not like big fin safeties, or ambidextrous safeties. A personal preference, Nuf said. .

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Number One; I do not purchase a $1000 1911 until I've read reviews, or have shot it and inspected it for myself. Number Two; I do not like big fin safeties, or ambidextrous safeties. A personal preference, Nuf said. .
I agree on not liking enlarged safeties for self defense. I do like ambidextrous since I shoot from either side, but I do see a down side in some holsters for the safety getting disengaged.