always safe AR trigger

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
Possibly this has been done before, or possibly no one tried it because it is a stupid idea but here goes.

I was working on some dry firing with the rifle at lunch today and noticed that each time i pick it up I use my thumb to twist off the safety and then hold my thumb on the back side of the safety while shooting.

IDEA: what if the safety was spring loaded into the "safe" position, and would only fire when you were holding it in the fire position with your thumb? Is this even possible? Crazy for asking? If some gunsmith hops on here and says STFU i won't be offended. At the least i would think that the detent would have to be removed/modified.

PURPOSE: My only thought for this woudl be the pro series. Every shooter twist their gun in order to flip the safety to "safe" before throwing in a barrel. I could see it saving just a bit of time if you could just fire your last shot and drop it. it is rare to completely clear a rifle before grounding.

and if anyone gets rich as hell off of this i want half!

45recoil

likes to party
Im not running an AR in matches yet ( still in the process of finishing assembly) so take it as just another couple of pennies, but id think this would be similar to the spring loaded thumb safety on 1911/2011s. Its a nitch and not everyone rides the thumb safety. Same line of thinking here, i wouldnt think everyone rides the selector on the rifle either. In theory it sounds good but may not translate to 3 gun.

From the videos of 3GN, i think the shooters got a pretty good rythm going and often times i wonder if they even put it on safety to ground; it was that fluid and fast

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
If it's something you want to try with your own rifle, a strong enough coil spring should do the trick without messing with the detent provided you have a tab of some sort on the safety for the spring to get pressure from.

Its not a bad idea ryan, but weird shooting positions have a potential to mess your grip up enought to possibly not make this reliable in the real world. Do you run an ambi safety? What I do, and why I like them (other than because Im a lefty) is that when i an finished engaging targets, my finger comes off the trigger, and sweeps back on the safety, effectively safeing it. this does two good things. gets finger off trigger and safes the gun.
Its a very intuitive process thats like this : Im gettting into shooting position- thumb offs the safety- bang bang bang etc-- done shooting and about to move-finger off trigger and sweeps backto snick safety off and then gets into finger woody position.

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
i dont' currently use a ambi, but i think i have one lying around. If i'm going to do any tinkering i might do it with that one. I like the idea of using your index finger to do the work so it is definitley off the trigger, will be something i would have to train myself to do as i have done it the other way for so many times.

its VERY intuitive, at leastr Ive found. You think of it as a toggle, just alternating flexing of the thumb and forefinger.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
mike cyrwus said:
its VERY intuitive, at leastr Ive found. You think of it as a toggle, just alternating flexing of the thumb and forefinger.
This toggle maneuver makes me want to put in an ambi safety. Great idea!

makes you move much more aggressively between shooting positions, because you use this as a green light to hustle your ass.

Latest posts