Adjustable Gas Block

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
I am pretty sure this has been asked before, but I can't find anything using the search, so sorry in advance. Think I am going to try the whole low mass BCG in my AR. What adjustable gas block is everyone using or recommends? Thank you in advance.

gmar

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have an answer for you but I think I'm in the same boat you're in. I'm trying to get subs to cycle in a .300 blackout sbr. Hoping to avoid having to drill out my gas port. What's you're reasoning?

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I like my Syrac Ordnanace adjustable gas block. Push down the detent and the adjustment screw turns freely. Release the detent and the adjustment screw is locked in place. No need for Loctite or worrying about having to adjust it after using Loctite.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
gmar said:
I don't have an answer for you but I think I'm in the same boat you're in. I'm trying to get subs to cycle in a .300 blackout sbr. Hoping to avoid having to drill out my gas port. What's you're reasoning?
an adj gas block won't increase gas, only restrict it

Mike,
I use a JP but I sell a lot of seekins gas blocks as well

gmar

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
an adj gas block won't increase gas, only restrict it

Mike,
I use a JP but I sell a lot of seekins gas blocks as well
My bad...I meant I might need to try a lower weight bcg. If I end up opening my gas port, then I might need an adjustable gas block.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
gmar said:
My bad...I meant I might need to try a lower weight bcg. If I end up opening my gas port, then I might need an adjustable gas block.
I'd worry about shooting regular ammo through it after setting it up to cycle the subsonic.
Trying a reduced power spring & light buffer that's easy to swap in/out may be a better choice.

gmar

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
I'd worry about shooting regular ammo through it after setting it up to cycle the subsonic.
Trying a reduced power spring & light buffer that's easy to swap in/out may be a better choice.
That's why I'm hesitant to open the gas port. I'll try the lighter bcg and buffer. Thanks for the advice!

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
gmar said:
Is that a common problem?

I have used Seekins, JP, PRI, Syrac, SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas blocks. They all work.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks. Sounds like they all work perfectly fine. Tony does the JP adjust from the side? Looks like next paycheck I'll be making a purchase from Make Ready Pro.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Yes, side adjustment. Depending on your handguard, you may be able to get to the adj. screw from a slot opening.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Was looking at the seekings or JP. Just saw that the JP adjusted from the side and though it might be easier to adjust through the rail. But I figure once it's set it is good to go, so might not be a big deal adjusting from the front. Rail comes off easy enough.

reptoid

New Fanatic
SLR's are very well made, light, and easy to maintain. No need to remove handguard to adjust. Just takes a hex driver. Depending on gas length vs. hanguard length you may need an extended hex driver. They have various length's available if you don't alleady have one.

CPWSA

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the Syrac Ordnance; especially the Gen II which has the internal detent as opposed to an external detent on the Gen 1 which required a second hex key to make adjustments. Many adjustable gas blocks simply have a screw that is turned 1/8 of a turn, 1/4, or some arbitrary amount to allow more, or restrict gas flow. Each adjustment on the Syrac is detented and clicks into place so there is no thought to "that should be about 1/8 of a turn". I run most of mine six clicks from fully closed. This adjustment cycles all factory ammo as well as some 2000 fps 55 FMJ stuff I play around with. Once adjustments are made, the locking detent means the setting stays put under recoil. All adjustments are made from the front and Syrac provides a hex key that's 6" long so unless you've got a super long handguard on a short gas system, you should always be able to make adjustments without removing the handguard.

http://cpwsa.com/products/syrac-adjustable-gas-block

EmptyPockets

New Fanatic
gmar said:
Just built a 300 blackout with 16" barrel and syrac 2nd gen block. Barrel has pistol length gas system but gas port is extremely small (.0625) a 1/16th" drill fits it. from what I can figure out it needs to be in the .090 to .110 ballpark.
mine will function and feed just not lock back. Figured drill er out and adjust down if need be.

White Kid

The American Reaper
I'd get a Seekins Precision or a Syrac adjustable gas block.
They're quite cheap and from what I understand and have read they're very good, they even seem to be some of the better ones but your'e not spending over $100.
I'm about to get a Seekins Precision adjustable LP gas block for my AR.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks everyone. I picked up a seekins from Make Ready about 2 weeks ago. I got it cycling my rifle, but it needs a little more fine tuning. 25 degrees outside got a little cold to continue to shoot.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Mike Gregorio (MG23) said:
Thanks everyone. I picked up a seekins from Make Ready about 2 weeks ago. I got it cycling my rifle, but it needs a little more fine tuning. 25 degrees outside got a little cold to continue to shoot.
What Lowmass BCG you using?

Latest posts