ACOGs question

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
I am in the process of building an AR in 7.62x39 and was planing on putting the TA33A-13 on it (still choking on the price). As I was researching this I found a few comments on ACOGs that they only have a 10 year life. Can anyone confirm or can share some information on this (really choking on the price after I saw this)?

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I imagine the tritium is no longer useful after X years just like night sights.

LiveFreeorDie

Well-Known Fanatic
Answers to most questions you may have can be found on Trijicon's website, or they are very good about responding to customer inquiries. The TA-33, like most if not all ACOGs are "dual illumination", as you probably already know. The Tritium half of this equation is a radioactive isotope that has a half-life of 12.5 years, which means that the Tritium element will be half as bright as when new in 12 years. I myself have a TA31 w/RMR and will really begin worrying about this in a dozen years! (insert sarcasm here).

Trijicon ACOG quality does not come cheap. They are fixed power and most models have a short eye relief. But they are extremely rugged and have crisp and clear reticles with BDC marks for specified rounds. Good luck finding a weapon sight.

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a TA31 on my Iraq rifle and it has to be my most favorite ever. One of these days I'd really like to buy one of my own but even a nice used one will run $700 or more. The fiber optic pulls in an amazing amouont of light in low-light conditions.

LiveFreeorDie

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know where or from whom you're hearing/reading those complaints. The fiber optic tube is a passive light gathering device that won't fail and works just fine in even low ambient light. In fact, soldiers using an ACOG will sometimes put black tape over the fiber optic tube in low light/house clearing ops because the reticle is TOO bright when looking into a darkened room. In bright sunlight the reticle appears black, which is actually better than if you saw red/grn/amber in your reticle. If you're concerned, and before you drop that much coin on an ACOG, get yourself a chance to view one in person. If you were in the upstate I could even let you look at mine. Again, good luck with this.

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
I am only trying to get some information a a smart purchase with that type of money. But with an engineering background, it does have merit that the light pipes performance can degrade over time. Similar to your headlights fogging up over time. It also has merit that ACOGs may not see more than 5-10 years in the service especially if the are deployed.

Does anyone have some other option on a battle type 2 or 3X magnifying scope for a 7.62x39 with 18" barrel AR? What would you recommend? Right know I am not to interrested in a red dot with a flip out magnifier. Just seems like too much to get into the way or break.

I am not a LEO or military. I have recently start some competition and have had some professional tactical and defensive training. But want something reliable and durable for more than 10 years.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
The tritium is easy enough to replace when it fades. I've got some tritium night sights that are still as bright as they were the day I got them...7 years ago.

My ACOG model TA11J, said the tritium was warrantied for 15 years. Not sure how much it would cost to re-lamp it, but damn, this optic is worth every penny. I've never heard of the fiber optic wearing out over time unless they get cracked or broken from hard use.

It's crystal clear, the BDC makes it ridiculously easy to make a kill from 0-600 meters.

This isn't my photo (camera phone isn't that good) but this is exactly what my reticle looks like.

resize_IMG_0125.jpg

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice reticle. That's a 3x right? I don't know how many time I bumped the fiber optic of mine inside my M1114 but it was planty. Just not enough space for body armor, radios, weapons, etc. Despite the scratches I put on it I never noticed a degredation in light coming inside. Of course, after each ride I cleaned my weapon top to bottom then covered the acog so most of the time it was protected. I know I'm comfortable recommending an acog to thebrazillian or anyone looking and content with a fixed-power optic. Like I said, sure with I had the budget.

I emailed Primary Arms about their 3x compact asking if they had plans for a 4x. Turns out they dont but will be bringing a 5x out in 2013.

Super Shooter

Fanatic
They are expensive but worth every penny. The tritium illumination will still work, but will be half as bright as it was when first produced. Either way if you get an ACOG with dual illumination it won't make a difference. The fiber optic will always be pulling in light to illuminate the reticle. Unless you get a NSN TA01 or similar model, which only has tritium and no fiber optic tube, so this could be more of a concern. I think you will be ok either one you choose, if everything is still together socially, economically, in 12-15 years just send it back to Trijicon.

This is the best combat optic money can but right now.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
kg4kpg said:
Nice reticle. That's a 3x right? I don't know how many time I bumped the fiber optic of mine inside my M1114 but it was planty. Just not enough space for body armor, radios, weapons, etc. Despite the scratches I put on it I never noticed a degredation in light coming inside. Of course, after each ride I cleaned my weapon top to bottom then covered the acog so most of the time it was protected. I know I'm comfortable recommending an acog to thebrazillian or anyone looking and content with a fixed-power optic. Like I said, sure with I had the budget.

I emailed Primary Arms about their 3x compact asking if they had plans for a 4x. Turns out they dont but will be bringing a 5x out in 2013.

The TA11's are a 3.5x magnification. It's awesome. Not much noticeable difference between it and a 4x.

Latest posts