RIA A current photo of my full size RIA (and a bag of ammo from the gun show)

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
I was at the local gun show here in town earlier, and as normal I brought my RIA with me. They (as typical) put a zip tie through the chamber, but other than that everything was great.

Lots of vendors asked about the checkered "Coastie" grips, and I told them it was from a guy up in NH (no longer in the grip business) who expanded and went large scale. He now makes furniture, dressers, cabinets, etc... and sold off all his CNC equipment and fine detailed stuff for handgun grips.

Anyway, I snatched up a bag of Georgia Arms basic 230gr "ball" ammo for $16 bucks. Great stuff and never had a problem with it!

Anyone else shoot Georgia Arms ammo?

2UdNibZ.jpg

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I shot a lot of that ammo when I lived in Georgia. I could purchase it at the gun shows cheaper than I could buy it at their place near Atlanta. It's rather comparable to WWB from WallyWorld.

P.S.

Keep in mind I left middle Georgia right at ten years ago. I believe a I was buying a bag for $11.50

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks... Yeah, Georgia Arms ammo is some good sh** :D

I know the guys in the booth at gun shows, and their stuff is all factory loaded and right on par with WWB or Magtech or {insert other ammo brand}. They don't make "Ol' cousin Ray's reloads" out of a garage... :p

Anyway, I always bring my RIA with me to gun shows, because you just never know if/when you'll find a beautiful used holster for a steal...

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi Butch. I used to shoot quite a lot of the Georgia Arms ammo in several calibers. It always performed well for me. I haven't shot much of it lately because I reload most of the ammo I shoot.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, guys...

Yeah, my full size RIA is sort of "one of a kind" now with the Coastie grips and how the guy that made them is no longer in business. I always buy Georgia Arms ammo whenever I'm at a gunshow. Great stuff!

I wouldn't have a clue about reloading .45 ACP ammo, other than what I've read about using a 230gr bullet, 5 grains of Bullseye, and a new primer in a .45 ACP brass casing. If I ever got up the gumption to figure out how to reload .45 ACP, I would want to duplicate the very very common, 230gr "ball" ammo load that everybody's grandpa has used...

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Looks great Butch!

My RIA had set of AlumaGrips with the Army/Air Force logo on it. Was a great shooter

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks... Yeah, Armscor/Rock Island Armory makes some incredible 1911's for the money! Some of the gunsmiths have told me that they (RIA) took the basic colt design, and tweaked it with copies from what Kimber has done. So, theoretically, a Rock Island Armory 1911 is an inexpensive clone of what the offspring would be of a Colt/Kimber marriage.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice Rock, glad you embrace it totally! I love the one I've got to but it's in 22tcm which is a total blast to shoot!

Don't see that ammo around here (NW Ohio) but we have a couple local places that sell to my gun club members at real good prices and it's nice stuff to.

ZoidMeister

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm still kicking myself.

I came this close (imagine my fingers about 1/2" apart) to picking up my first 2011. It was a Rock Island full size double stack in 10mm. Asking price was just lowered to $525. He lived about 2 hours from me.

While I was trying to schedule a meet, some guy 10 minutes from him said he would pay the previous ask of $550.

It wasn't my week. I still regret selling my other RIA 10mm.

DJD . . .