A couple CZ questions

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I got my new CZ 712 Utility cleaned and lubed. Installed a +3 tube, HIVIZ front sight and oversized button safety on it. I have a couple questions.

When I installed the tube, the instructions said they suggest with trimming to 16" of spring sticking out of the tube and to go no shorter than 12". What lengths have you guys used that worked well? I trimmed mine at 19" as I didn't want to cut off too much.

I cycled and dry fired it several times before breaking it down. When I got to cleaning and lubing the bolt assembly, I noticed a rough edge on it. It looks like when that portion was machined a bit of metal kind of folded over on the edge. It was hanging down and had scratched up the firing pin and firing pin spring. I very, very carefully cleaned up the edge with a Dremel. Has anybody seen this before? I attached a picture with arrows pointing to the rough edge as well as the scratched firing pin and firing pin spring.

Attachments

• cz.jpg
    cz.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 102
19" is way too much. trim to 14", youll be fine.

Get used to the rough edges, the 712 is a nice gun, but it can be a lil unrefined, shall we say. good catch on the burrs.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, Mike. I trimmed the spring to 14". I'm able to load 8 in the tube so I should be good to go. I emailed CZ asking them to send me a new firing pin and firing pin spring.

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
Dustin,

How does the CZ feel when shooting it? I know that's a question with a thousand possible responses, so I'm going to ask what other 12 gauges you've fired. Have you ever shot any older pump action shotguns that have a simple wooden stock with little to no padding? The only shotgun I've fired was/is a 12 gauge Western Field 565-D. I think it's at least 25 years old. The kick on that for me was fairly solid. But not painful to the point I never what to fire it again.

I'm just trying to get an understanding of the recoil/kick that shotgun has. I've been looking at a couple of shotguns for entry level 3-Gun (Franchi Infinity, Stoeger 3500, CZ 712 ALS, and Mossberg 930).

Thanks,

Medicius

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have a lot to compare to. The only other shotgun I've really had some trigger time with was a Mossberg 500 and that was 9 years ago. I remember it having a fair amount of felt recoil and going home with a sore shoulder after each outing. I put 75 rounds through the CZ yesterday and recoil wasn't as bad as I remember the 500 having. My shoulder is just a little sore today but I fired several rounds without the butt placed firmly in my shoulder as I was throwing clays up with my left hand and shouldering it and firing. I think my left shoulder is more sore from throwing clays than my right shoulder is from the recoil. I like the CZ so far.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Dustin,

How does the CZ feel when shooting it? I know that's a question with a thousand possible responses, so I'm going to ask what other 12 gauges you've fired. Have you ever shot any older pump action shotguns that have a simple wooden stock with little to no padding? The only shotgun I've fired was/is a 12 gauge Western Field 565-D. I think it's at least 25 years old. The kick on that for me was fairly solid. But not painful to the point I never what to fire it again.

I'm just trying to get an understanding of the recoil/kick that shotgun has. I've been looking at a couple of shotguns for entry level 3-Gun (Franchi Infinity, Stoeger 3500, CZ 712 ALS, and Mossberg 930).

Thanks,

Medicius

Kirk.... Where you at? This guy may need some CBK lovin.

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
Er...CBK? As long as it doesn't involve a home enema kit (rubber hose, metal scrubbing pad, and isopropyl alchohol), I'm probably game...

Medicius

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Coils by Kirk.
He runs a CZ 712 and has made a few sets of springs to help with the recoil and be able to function with lighter loads.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry boys and girls life has been rather busy, the CZ is a fun little shotgun but it like all the others needs a little help in some area's. The deburr department seems to be hit or miss so some attention will be needed here, bolt, mag tube, threads, loading port, and the trigger assembly is lets just say OMG! plan on some time here.

The recoil spring will either work wonderful or crap on you with each trigger pull, I hear there were some unicorn light recoil springs that made it out of the shop but the several I have messed with lets just say no unicorn lol. I made up some lighter recoil springs to deal with this problem and they seem to work real well, you have to tailor to the loads your going to shoot, if you run my light spring with 3" loads your probably going to break something! they are made for compition but I think I may have that one spring fits all on the drawing board.

Shout if you need some direction I'm sure I've screwed it up so I'll know what doesn't work LOL Later,

Kirk