A .300 Blackout oops.....

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Recently saw a rather cool picture of a 5.56 gun that was mistakenly fired with a .300 BO. The bolt, upper, lower magazine and the barrel were ALL trashed. I shoot rifles more than pistols, this is some scary crap......be careful.

70C17422-2C7B-4F6D-9DBB-BF05E584E36B.jpeg

jaydoc

Fanatic
I'm surprised the 300 cartridge went into battery.
My 5.56/.223 mags are FDE and my 300 blk mags are black to help me avoid this mistake.
My black guns take black mags and the FDE gun takes FDE mags.

BenchMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
More pics!

Bender, you may be misinformed on the calibers in question. I'd have to see the whole thing to be sure but as a rifle shooter myself, in my limited experiance, there is little chance of a .308 dia bullet flattening out that much into a .223 chamber, just too much mass trying to get in that little itty bitty hole ya know?

Not to mention jaydocs concerns. Maybe a 6.8 down a 6.5?

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
More pics!

Bender, you may be misinformed on the calibers in question.

Nope....I'm not misinformed, educate yourself Sir.

It's rather amazing to see what gunpowder is capable of doing. I'm still on the road, won't have time to find this info until Monday. You could simply use google and you will see MANY discussions about this. Google images has as many pics as you care to see on this subject.

I've seen this crap happen at a range in Georgia. Since the casing is shorter, the .300 BO WILL chamber in a 5.56,....try it. Bolt will fully close. This barrel cross section and it reminded me off this. I generally shoot rifles more than pistols so this is a common subject.

BenchMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Um, coffee stat!

I never mentioned anything about it not chambering or bolt specifics. I know for a fact the bolt will close and a .308 diameter bullet will be up against a .224 diameter hole. End result, blown up gun, got it. But not a slug way down the end of the barrel as pictured.
The .22-caliber bore simply isn't big enough to handle the .30-caliber projectile of the .300BLK round, and all that pressure from the round needs to go somewhere once the primer is struck.
From the NRA article that I have read. The receiver is the weak point in this equation and will fail long before a .308 gets anywhere near the end of the bbl. The other reason I asked for more pics is that I find it curious that said projectile made it that far if the receiver were blown to pieces, one would think a screeching halt would occur at failure or for arguments sake, just after the gas port, with said blown receiver and nothing to scavenge said propellant and gasses venting to atmosphere by quickest means possible why is the projectile near the end of the barrel?

Just to reiterate, where in my post did I say never coulda woulda? I only made a comment on the picture posted, which without a scale to reference I can only surmise as a bull styled bbl with a supposed .308 dia. Bullet lodged in the forward end. Not as to weather or not accidents happen, lack of attention to detail can maim or kill, or for that matter question your intelligence. I asked if a mistake had been made as to the posted picture simple as that.

Now how do you take that coffee?

1911U004

Well-Known Fanatic
Monkey, I'm guessing you did not click on any of benders links...
Go to about 2:45 of the video and you'll see a .30 cal bullet exiting a .223 barrel

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Jabber all you like 'Monkey. Not sure why you are so upset or wound up. I find it rather refreshing when I learn something new.

When you're done, do some reading and learn something, pictures are included.

Last edited:

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm surprised the 300 cartridge went into battery.
My 5.56/.223 mags are FDE and my 300 blk mags are black to help me avoid this mistake.
My black guns take black mags and the FDE gun takes FDE mags.
Yep, except the opposite for me. 5.56 are black and the 300 BO FDE.

Bad Wolf

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't own a 300 BO but when I take various rifles to the range that can chamber the wrong round my usual rule of only having one caliber of ammo out on the bench seems to take care of that problem. I always check to be certain I have the right ammo for the gun in hand. I do the same with loading, only one kind of primer, powder and bullet on the bench at a time.

BenchMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
I have to thank my daughter and the umpteenth gazillion time I've had to watch Frozen. :D

@1911U004,

Thanks for the video, had to beat the kids off the wifi to free up the bandwidth to watch it. A hp and ball are two different animals wouldn't you agree? In the video, thankfully that's what they used and it squirted out.;)

@Bender,

Sorry to start a dust up, I certainly didn't intend to. Where did I put that flippin coffee cup?