9mm vs .40 S&W

WideLoadTimmy

Well-Known Fanatic
I was talking a friend of mine (I believe he goes by Hawkeye, here)and I were talking about some of the pros and cons of each caliber. Here in the next couple of months, I'm thinking of selling my XD .45acp and I'm wondering what I'm gonna get. I figured I'd ask some of the folks here for some opinions. The way I understand it, .40 can be loaded for minor or major. If I get another polymer gun to replace the XD (Glock or M&P), it'll be in .40 and I'll just get a conversion barrel. The trouble is, I'm not just looking at Glocks and M&Ps. I was also looking at some entry level 1911s and CZs. Can you do the conversions with them, too or would I have to choose? If I had to choose, which would be recommended?

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
1911's don't really suit themselves to caliber conversions.

What game do you want to play? I'd venture to say 9mm is a more versatile competition caliber and cheaper to shoot a lot of. But for some games 40 really is the way to go.

WideLoadTimmy

Well-Known Fanatic
technetium-99m said:
1911's don't really suit themselves to caliber conversions.

What game do you want to play? I'd venture to say 9mm is a more versatile competition caliber and cheaper to shoot a lot of. But for some games 40 really is the way to go.
So far, all I've gotten to do is a USPSA qualieier and some carrygun matches at Heartland. I'm hoping to get more of them in but now that ammo is off-the-wall expensive, I need to get a cheaper caliber. I eventually want to do 3 gun but I got caught in the middle of an AR build by the insanity going on right now. I may end up using it for everything like I am now. Defense and some sport.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Go 9mm. If you stick with this you'll get what you need when the time comes.

White Kid

The American Reaper
I guess it's really personal preference? But a CZ in .40 would be a bad option due to the fact it has internal slide rails and such a low bore axis. As far as conversions go with CZ's, I'm not sure if that's possible?
I shoot .40 so that's why I say .40 is good but don't get me wrong, 9mm is great too! :)

dennishoddy

Right now, 9mm is non-existant, but .40 is on some shelves.

If your deciding to shoot USPSA matches, the .40 is the most popular round to shoot for major power factor in the limited division.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Alexander Pharr said:
I guess it's really personal preference? But a CZ in .40 would be a bad option due to the fact it has internal slide rails and such a low bore axis. As far as conversions go with CZ's, I'm not sure if that's possible?
I shoot .40 so that's why I say .40 is good but don't get me wrong, 9mm is great too! :)
Why is the low bore axis in CZ pistols a bad thing? I've considered purchasing one for that very reason. Theoretically you would have less muzzle flip with a lower bore axis.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I just switched from 9mm to 40, and from Glock to M&P. For me it was simple, I can get a 9mm barrel for my 40, I can't get a .40 barrel for my 9mm. I will carry the gun loaded with .40, and will compete with whatever suits me the best that day, or is cheaper, or is available.

White Kid

The American Reaper
Dustin Cantrell said:
Why is the low bore axis in CZ pistols a bad thing? I've considered purchasing one for that very reason. Theoretically you would have less muzzle flip with a lower bore axis.
I meant wouldn't! My bad! TYPOE!

Alexander Pharr said:
I meant to say it WOULDN'T BE A BAD OPTION!!!!!!!! A bit of a typo there!

WideLoadTimmy

Well-Known Fanatic
Good input, guys. I like metal guns, too. What about ease of maintenance I think the XD(m) kinda takes the cake on easy. But what about some of these other guns? I've taken down 1911s and Glocks, before, and they're not bad. What about the maintenance on a CZ?

White Kid

The American Reaper
WideLoadTimmy said:
Good input, guys. I like metal guns, too. What about ease of maintenance I think the XD(m) kinda takes the cake on easy. But what about some of these other guns? I've taken 1911s and Glocks, before, and they're not bad. What about the maintenance on a CZ?
They're easy to take down, like with any firearm of course you're gonna' want it clean (Especially the Walther PP series!!). I guess maintenance is like any other semi-automatic handgun. I'm not really the one here who cleans 'em, it's my dad that does that! :p

Spiff

Semi-Pro
M&P9 is stupidly reliable with minimal maintenance. That'd be my pick. In fact, my M&P40 will probably end up converted to 9mm at some point.

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
Dustin Cantrell said:
I think what my son means is you don't have a large area to grasp if want to slingshot the slide.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
It sounds like ammo cost is a big factor and you mentioned it too. You just answered your own question. 9mm.

Either a Glock or M&P, they are both fantastic. I prefer the M&P because the mags drop freely and the grip angle and ergos are better for me. I ran about 1500 rounds of lead bullet loads through mine at TDSA with no cleaning and no issues. They just work.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
another vote for m and p 9mm.. shoot limited minor and then move to production when ready and then go STI when ready to jump to .40 (limited)

dennishoddy

I don't know if its unique to my M&P, but if I go to slide lock, putting in a new mag firmly, makes the slide close on its own.

My 1911 won't do that.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
dennishoddy said:
I don't know if its unique to my M&P, but if I go to slide lock, putting in a new mag firmly, makes the slide close on its own.

My 1911 won't do that.
most of my pistols will do that

Riich

Well-Known Fanatic
Kevin S. said:
I just switched from 9mm to 40, and from Glock to M&P. For me it was simple, I can get a 9mm barrel for my 40, I can't get a .40 barrel for my 9mm. I will carry the gun loaded with .40, and will compete with whatever suits me the best that day, or is cheaper, or is available.
Check the rules of whatever Division you want to shoot. I believe that caliber change in a gun like this is not allowed in USPSA Production. Your buddies at a local match may not pay attention to it but if you attend larger matches, the guy at the chrono will notice.

Getting bumped to OPEN for failing to pay attention to the equipment rules can dampen your match expeience, especially if you paid big dollars for match fees, gas and hotel to be there.

Latest posts