9mm reloading components

jarredt

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm looking to get in the group buy at powdervalley and have a few questions. Does anyone recommend using berrys bullets for 9mm? If so what powder would you recommend? By doing a little google searching a found win 231 is recommended. Is there any reason not to use it? Also if I start doing competitions what bullet weight should i use? I might shoot .45 in the future, would win 231 be fine for it as well?

CBR

Well-Known Fanatic
Berry's work well. Would suggest the 147gr RN. I used to use W231 for 9mm, now I only use it for .45. Currently use 3.5gr of Titegroup for 9mm. You cannot get them from PV, but I recommend you try 147gr Bayou Bullets.

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
Berry's work but they're very much more expensive than lead and they perform no better. 231/HP38 is good but the best 9mm powder is N320

xdnok

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm looking to get in the group buy at powdervalley and have a few questions. Does anyone recommend using berrys bullets for 9mm? If so what powder would you recommend? By doing a little google searching a found win 231 is recommended. Is there any reason not to use it? Also if I start doing competitions what bullet weight should i use? I might shoot .45 in the future, would win 231 be fine for it as well?

231/HP38 works ok and is broad in it's range of use however it is a little on the dirty side and there are better competition powders such as WST, N320 and Tightgroup. In order of preference for me is N320, WST, and Tightgroup with 147gr Montana Gold and N320 as my favorite 9mm load with 147gr Bayou moly coated lead with WST as a great and less costly setup.

Most people that shoot competition use ether 124 or 147gr bullets for 9mm but I'm partial to the 147's and I generaly use WST in most of my reloads for 9, 40 and 45 and find it a very universal powder. I have used Berrys before and they perform well but they are more expensive than Bayou bullets.

Wes

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Jacketed bullets from Precision Delta are cheaper and better, but Berry's makes a pretty good product.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
If I was going to order from P.V I would order 147 gr Zero JHP. Not cheap, but they are accurate with 320, TG, WST, Clays, 231 etc. If I was wanting to save money then I would purchase Bear Creek, Precision, Bayou bullets. I would use 320, Clays, WST. Many find joy with TG, 231 and Unique as I am sure other powders as well.

The Antichrome

Berrys are fine and you can often find 'volume' price deals. (otherwise they're kinda pricey for plated bullets)
Xtreme bullets are the plated ticket nowdays.

Typical 9mm 124/125gr prices per 1000: (before volume discounts, some include shipping, some dont)

Berrys $86
PD fmj $85
Xtreme plated $72
Precision Black (coated) $73
Lead $68
Bayou $? (no online ordering? still?)
MG $118

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Berrys are fine and you can often find 'volume' price deals. (otherwise they're kinda pricey for plated bullets)
Xtreme bullets are the plated ticket nowdays.

Typical 9mm 124/125gr prices per 1000: (before volume discounts, some include shipping, some dont)

Berrys $86
PD fmj $85
Xtreme plated $72
Precision Black (coated) $73
Lead $68
Bayou $? (no online ordering? still?)
MG $118

I was a distributer for West Coast which I am to understand is now Extreme. I stopped when QC went in the tank. At least the first couple of yrs Extreme QC was messed up as well.. Sounds like they have it under control and if so I always had great joy with those bullets as did my customers. My favorite was the 124 FP (.355) Made the biggest cleanest .355 hole you ever saw. I would push them with a max load of AA5.

Jeremy Moore

Well-Known Fanatic
For 9mm, the softest load I have found is 3.1 of N310, 147gr Berrys, 1.16 OAL & .378 crimp. It makes 130pf out of most guns. Not necessarily the cheapest load, but was very clean burning & soft shooting. I shot it out of my M&P and I rarely cleaned my gun

Latest posts