9mm Minor Hard Cast 147 w/ Solo1000

Rockon71385

Founding Member
Bullet: Hard Cast 147gr RNFP
Powder: 3.7gr of Solo1000
OAL: 1.135"
Velocity: 875-925fps

Averages out to about 132pf. Runs and runs in both my G17 and G34.

DO NOT USE THIS LOAD WITHOUT TESTING IT YOURSELF: SOLO BURN RATES VARY QUITE A BIT BETWEEN LOTS. Start at low velocities and work your way up.

Do you recommend using this load, Robbie; with the variation it has?

I have a great 147 hard cast load that Ill post up here that isnt with solo.

Rockon71385

Founding Member
It's not my favorite load, but it works, and 3.7gr should make minor PF even on a hot day. Let me know what you're using. I'm looking for a new powder that smokes less than Titegroup, costs less than N320, and has less variation than Solo.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Look no further than Winchester WST.

I load 's 147s on top of 3.5 grains at 1.120 OAL.

Shoots soft, smokes wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less that Titgroup, meters great, is very clean, runs my 9Pro great, costs about $61 per 4lbs last time I bought any and is almost always in stock.  Chronos around 130PF, maybe a little less, maybe a little more depending on temp.

WST is inverse temp sensitive but it's really not an issue that I can see.  I've chrono'd it at 30 degrees and about 95 and the difference was about 3PF as best as I could tell.  The one time I had a problem it was about 105 degrees and my ammo was so hot you almost couldn't hold it in your hand.  The inside of my bag was like an oven.  My .45 was having some issues that day and I'm certain it was the ammo going down in PF because I really need to go down a step in spring weight anyway.  On days like that, as long as your bag is in the shade you are good to go.  And heck, if you carry a cooler stuff them in there.  :38:

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
[quote author=mike cyrwus link=topic=256.msg1976#msg1976 date=1286589870]
Do you recommend using this load, Robbie; with the variation it has?

I have a great 147 load that Ill post up here that isnt with solo.
[/quote]

Do tell, unless it's N320 we all know that powder is supposed to be the cat's meow.

Bruno2

Active Fanatic
It's not my favorite load, but it works, and 3.7gr should make minor PF even on a hot day.  Let me know what you're using.  I'm looking for a new powder that smokes less than Titegroup, costs less than N320, and has less variation than Solo.

Titegroup is a fast powder. It doesnt fill the case up enough to get a real clean burn. Look for slower powders. They are a little more expensive to load with due to not being as effeicient. None of Accurate's powders hvae the temperature stabilizing characteristics . Ramshot's powders are all very tolerant to temps that goes for the N320 as well.Most of Alliants powders are temp stabilizing OTOH a few of them arent.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
It's not my favorite load, but it works, and 3.7gr should make minor PF even on a hot day.  Let me know what you're using.  I'm looking for a new powder that smokes less than Titegroup, costs less than N320, and has less variation than Solo.

You've just eliminated like 95% of the enos member's powders :)

I know it's blasphemy, but with 124 JHP's titegroup is pretty cool.

Rockon71385

Founding Member
Titegroup is a fast powder. It doesnt fill the case up enough to get a real clean burn. Look for slower powders. They are a little more expensive to load with due to not being as effeicient. None of Accurate's powders hvae the temperature stabilizing characteristics . Ramshot's powders are all very tolerant to temps that goes for the N320 as well.Most of Alliants powders are temp stabilizing OTOH a few of them arent.

Fast powders are generally better for competition when you're using a non-compensated pistol. You want all of the powder to be burned up before the bullet leaves the barrel that way you don't have excessive gas coming out behind the bullet and causing added recoil.

The trick is going to be finding the right fast-burning powder.

Latest posts