9mm failure to full deprime (XL650)

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Using dillon carbide dies, nothing fancy. When reloading on occasion I would try to seat the new primer in station 2 only to find that the old primer was not fully removed. I decided to run a handful of brass through station one and capture it.

The headstamp on all of the trouble brass is "F C". Upon further inspection, all of the old primers are silver (perhaps they are the same brand, or even factory). I initially thought that they might all be fired from the same gun, but I found a mix of striker fired makrs and firing pin marks. The only common items that I can tell are the headstamp and the primers. Has anyone seen this? Have any suggestions?

Here is what they look like after I remove them from station 2.
pre_1450143775__brass_monkey.jpg

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Thanks Bryan. I'll give it a shot. Perhaps it's a coincidence that they're all the same headstamp.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Bryan Hoover said:
Decapping pin is pulling them back in. You need to file on the pin some. Make it more pointed at the end.
I had the same problem on my 550. Filing down the decapping pin helped.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
I had that issue on my lee press with lee dies and what appeared to be some sort of European head stamped brass. I have since switched to a Dillion and Dillion dies and do not have the issue anymore. Are you using the new style dies that have a spring loaded decaping pin?

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Perhaps Robaire, I bought them about 3-4 months ago. I didn't specifically purchase the one with the spring, but I looked on their website and it lists the spring as a feature of the die. I'll hit the pin with a file to shave a little material off and see if it helps.

I'm thinking that the primer pocket on that particular headstamp must be tighter than the others.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
I hit it with a flat bastard a few times. I think I got it down enough to prevent it from sticking. I'll run some brass through this weekend and check it out. Thanks guys. It is the die with the spring.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had that issue with multiple calibers. It always seems to be a crimped primer or a tight ass pocket like S&B. I think it's causing the primer to deform slightly and grab onto the pin. I'm using Hornady dies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Scott Hearn said:
I've had that issue with multiple calibers. It always seems to be a crimped primer or a tight ass pocket like S&B. I think it's causing the primer to deform slightly and grab onto the pin. I'm using Hornady dies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think that you (along with Hoover and poop) are on to something. I concur that the pin is pulling them back up, but I feel that it is due to a condition like you're describing where the primer pocket is tight causing the primer to mold to the pin. Anyway, I'll run some additional casings through and get to the bottom of it, if not, I'll have plenty of unprimed brass at the waiting.

Latest posts