9mm conversion barrel for STI Target Master

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
I've got a Target Master in 45 acp. I want to have a 9mm barrel fitted to the slide/bushing and frame. Is this a reasonable quest? Would I also need a different extractor? What else might I be missing? I called STI and was told that they could do it (the barrel, I forgot to ask about the extractor), just not at this time as they don't have the staff to do the custom work.
Thanks.

mchasse

Fanatic
Ceapea, There's more to just changing out the barrel and extractor. The breach face on a 45 slide is much wider then the breach face on a 9mm slide. Even on a full gunsmith fit barrel, the barrel hood would not be wide enough on a 9mm barrel to properly fit it to the 45 slide. If we were doing the conversion here in shop we would change out the ejector on the frame, change out the slide stop, there is a difference between a 45 and 9mm slide stop and then would fit and build an entire new slide with a 9mm breach face.

Regards,

Mike Chasse
Thunder Mountain Custom

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks,
That seems a little more involved than I anticipated. Probably not going to happen, thinking about all the work that needs to be done. It's just that I have read so much about putting in heavier walled 9mm barrels in larger caliber guns like the Glock, and having them seemingly work, that I was hoping for a simple way to get "two guns in one".
I guess that I will have to start looking for a 9mm Target Master.
Thanks

WWB

Well-Known Fanatic
You cant fit a 9mm barrel to a 45 slide you will need to replace the slide as well..

mchasse

Fanatic
WWB, That's what I said above. "and then would fit and build an entire new slide with a 9mm breach face. "

Regards,

Mike

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
So, I've figured out a solution to my dilemma...I picked up a like new 9mm Target Master. Now I've got a matching pair. Haven't received the 9mm yet, but the 45 is unbelievably accurate. I like it more than my new LB PII.
Thanks for all the info. Something strange must be going on at STI. They told me that I (they) could do the conversion, no problem. When I asked them to give me a date of manufacture for my 45 (it is a 4 digit s/n), they said they didn't have records that go back that far. So I asked how far their records went back. 2015!! Whaaat?

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
So, I've figured out a solution to my dilemma...I picked up a like new 9mm Target Master. Now I've got a matching pair. Haven't received the 9mm yet, but the 45 is unbelievably accurate. I like it more than my new LB PII.
Thanks for all the info. Something strange must be going on at STI. They told me that I (they) could do the conversion, no problem. When I asked them to give me a date of manufacture for my 45 (it is a 4 digit s/n), they said they didn't have records that go back that far. So I asked how far their records went back. 2015!! Whaaat?

It would still cost as much as another gun. What they are probably referring to is making your existing slide a multi-breech face. SVI does this on some of their 2011 offerings, so i'm thinking STI may do so as well. If I'm correct, it'll require cutting up your slide to install 2 different breach faces that you can swap out...but i believe you will still have the issue with the correct ejector and slide stop....can be done, just not economically...still better off with the 2 separate guns IMHO...

zb338

Well-Known Fanatic
What would it take to convert my Colt Gold Cup in .38 Super to 9MM?

Zeke

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
What would it take to convert my Colt Gold Cup in .38 Super to 9MM?

Zeke

I believe just a barrel, springs, and mag's....the .38 Super is pretty much a 9mm with a longer case...think 10mm/.40s&w relationship....same thing. It runs a bit warmer than 9mm so lighter springs are needed for 9mm and a new barrel for the shorter case for proper headspacing...oh, yeah...and mag's since the .38 Super round is longer than a standard 9mm....I believe some of the members here have "dual caliber" guns in .38 Super and 9mm...they should be able to chime in with more details....

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
Here are the both of them. 45acp and 9mm...Fraternal twins!

Attachments

• IMG_4097.JPG
    IMG_4097.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4098.JPG
    IMG_4098.JPG
    494.3 KB · Views: 5
  • STI TM 9.jpg
    STI TM 9.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 5nLt9F.jpg
    5nLt9F.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 4

zb338

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe just a barrel, springs, and mag's....the .38 Super is pretty much a 9mm with a longer case...think 10mm/.40s&w relationship....same thing. It runs a bit warmer than 9mm so lighter springs are needed for 9mm and a new barrel for the shorter case for proper headspacing...oh, yeah...and mag's since the .38 Super round is longer than a standard 9mm....I believe some of the members here have "dual caliber" guns in .38 Super and 9mm...they should be able to chime in with more details....

zb338

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you Zipper. It certainly looks like it would be worth doing.

Zeke

mchasse

Fanatic
Here are the both of them. 45acp and 9mm...Fraternal twins!
Ceapea, If you ever get tiered of the 9mm, let me know, I'll be glad to take it off of your hands. I should of never sold the last one I had in stock.

Mike

mchasse

Fanatic
Zeke, You would need a new barrel, extractor and ejector. Of course a few springs and new mags. But going from 38 Super to 9mm is a really easy change over.

Mike

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
This thread reminds of of how I started getting into 9mm chambered 1911's..
Had a "few" 1911's in 45acp & wanted one in 9mm .Had the same thought, maybe I can convert a Govt. model SS Colt 1911
to 9mm..decided to talk with my gunsmith about parts needed. After learning about the new pieces that would be required,
ended up buying a Rock Island Armory Govt. model 9mm, the only 9mm 1911 RIA offered @ the time.
I could buy the RIA for much less than purchasing the needed parts to convert the Colt.
(I looked @ the price of buying Colt parts, not other brands)

Bought the RIA , started shooting it, & decided to change the grips,, & then I didn't like the parkerized finish.
So, had it cerekoted a matt silver, then springs swapped out, extended slide release,a little trigger work, & finally, replaced the GI sights
with something I could actually see...Heine Straight 8's...

Now I had invested almost as much $ into this pistol as I'd paid for it..

Several yrs. pass & more companies are making 1911's chambered in 9mm.
See a Springfield Armory Loaded Target (in SS) & want one..can't find one FS anywhere.
Finally found a lightly used one on Gunbroker, & get a fair deal on it from a guy in Atlanta..
he even included some extra mags he'd bought. Funny thing is, What I paid for the Springfield
was about the same amount I had spent on the RIA.. but I like the S/A a lot better.

Latest posts