9mm 1911 ejects cases straight back to shooter's head.....not sure how best to contour ejector?

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Here is the finished pistol.

The back of the slide is checkered 40 LPI and the MSH ad frontstrap 20 LPI.

The ejector is a flat, square, nose as has been discussed.

It is an extended ejector, cut back just enough to allow a loaded round to be ejected.

I'm left handed so I want an early as possible ejection at about 3 or 4 oclock so it is out of my way.

I will usually get another person to shoot the pistol so I can just watch the brass ejecting.

This Commander has 600 rds. through it and not one FTF or FTE,...

The brass lands about 6 ft. away in a 2 ft circle at about 4 o clock.

Attachments

• pp2.JPG
    pp2.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 15
  • VVFRRR.JPG
    VVFRRR.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 13

learning

Fanatic
i really love the checkering at the rear of the slide, the commander type hammer and that line grooved near the top of the slide

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
The line groove is called a "French Cut"!

There is probably an easy $800 just in parts with this pistol.

Tried to build an "economy" 1911, but that did not last long...

EGW, Wilson, Remsport, Colt, Caspian, all top tier parts makers, and the economy build, went out the window.

The Labor was cheap though!

Attachments

• p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 17
  • h1.JPG
    h1.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 15

learning

Fanatic
thanks for sharing the photos....looks great.

once i get this pistol dialed in i'll try contouring the rear of the slide and checkering it as well.

Ohrings

Fanatic
I am left handed also and had the same problem with several 1911's, mainly the Kimber. The gunsmith did an adjustment to the extractor.

learning

Fanatic
interesting...i've been focused more on the ejector and recoil spring....thank you for posting

Ohrings

Fanatic
Several things can cause this. Recoil spring, magazine spring, ejector should not be loose or wiggle and the extractor. How old is the recoil spring and is it the proper weight for your load? Does this happen with all your magazines. Recoil spring and mag springs wear out. I have had multiple brands of mags for my 1911 and found many fail, especially with heavy use. Buy two new ones and measure the length. put one away as a guide. As time goes by, compare your used one. If it is more the two coils lower than the new one, might want to put in a new one. Recoil springs......I like ISMI springs for my 1911's because they make from the best wire and last longer that others. I do the same measurement with the recoil springs also. Just a few tidbits.

Latest posts