9mm 1911 ejects cases straight back to shooter's head.....not sure how best to contour ejector?

learning

Fanatic
Hi, i have a 9mm 1911 that shoots very nicely and reliably....however, the cases are ejecting high and almost directly back, consistently. The cases probably land in my estimation approximately 5 feet behind the shooter. it has a 9mm ejector which is pinned and secure.

I was wondering if someone might guide me as to how best to alter the case ejection trajectory.

thank you

learning

Fanatic
For the most part the cases do clear my head...... but its a bit too close for comfort.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Can you post a good close pic of ejector? Is it extremely long? Likely so, at least there is plenty to work with. Is there angle to the tip of extractor or relatively square? Is the extractor properly set up and tuned?

Lots of questions I realize but I don't want to help you mess your 1911 up. Perhaps even the questions will help you think thru the ejection. Hint- profile has a lot to do with ejection.

learning

Fanatic
yes, thank you....it is the longer type of ejector....i'll try to get a photo.

learning

Fanatic
Here are 2 photos that i hope will show the ejector. i was reading a little section from Brazos that advocated contouring the ejector face such that the case first contacts toward the top of the ejector...which should cause the case to eject low.....does that sound correct?

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Put your question here and you will get some help.

I know what I would do but...

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I personally would not mess with it unless it actually hit me, but that's me. I am curious as to what changes you end up making and what affect it has on brass trajectory. If you do adjust it can you post "after" pics along with the results?
Please
And a big hardy welcome from nw Ohio

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Or take a look here at home :)

learning

Fanatic
thank you for the link...will review it just now

really appreciate everyone's help...great forum

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
A good profile for 9mm is relatively square on the nose , 90* to top of ejector length. If that makes sense. And then very little angle, or bevel to adjust angle of ejected brass. But everyone has a different preference. Personally I've not had much success with the large angle at the nose profile. Again ymmv. Lots of articles on the web. Wilson combat has a good one, but they prefer the large angle on nose. Best of luck

Your pics came out good. And it seems as if there is plenty left for you to try a different profile. Just proceed slowly, a couple swipes with the file will make big changes. Hopefully the ejector is pinned in place? If so a 1/16" punch will remove ejector

Also when ejector is installed insert a mag with dummy round and make certain top of round is not contacting bottom of ejector as it protrudes into mag opening. If there is contact, file till none. Contact there will never allow consistent ejection. And depending on amount of contact, can bend or break ejector

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi
Yes I would agree, flat or 90 degrees from the top would be better.

With that slope on your ejector your sort of asking for it, so to speak.

The other thing to check is that your extractor is also tuned correctly and has proper tension.

It must hold and control the case, upon extraction and hold the case for the ejector to hit and send it on it's way.

I am not crazy about giving advice, on the Internet for a couple of reasons.

The other thing to look at is the ejector to slide relationship as far as fit from the back, is the ejector big enough to fill the space where the cut out is in the slide for it?

The closer the fit the more of the nose of the ejector there is to hit the brass on ejection, hope that makes sense?

learning

Fanatic
yes, thank you, i understand that it's tough to give advice to strangers but i really appreciate the help.
the back of the extractor looks perfectly contoured at the rear of the slide.
i purchased the 2 volume Kuhnhausen manual and should get it this week and will review the relevant sections as well.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi
This is a pic of a Commander build.

Note the ejector, to slide cut out.

There is no gaps and the ejector fills the ejector slide cut completely.

This gives max ejector area (nose), to hit the empty case upon extraction.

Attachments

• j5.JPG
    j5.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts