9 mm Bullet Weight Preference

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm a little perplexed by 9 mm bullet weights. 115 grain vs 124 grain? There's not much difference there. It seems to me that 147 grain bullets would be the preference for home defense.

What do you make of these bullet weights and what is your preference?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
147 gr. ???
I like the 165 federal HS for light weight.
Do not know about the 9mm, don't have one.

What weight does the Military use for the MP5 Sub gun? 147 maybe?

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I've plinked of most of the 115g around here. Like 124 seems to run a bit better, for me. Also use it for SD, but also use 135 &147. I'm still experimental with the 9mm for any potential social work.

batman4706

Fanatic
I like 124 for most stuff, 147 for silencer use. I carry Underwood defenders in my carry gun. They are great, I watched a test with them and they penetrate 18 inches no matter what they have to go through. Sheetrock walls, wood boards, auto glass, jeans, etc. They don't have a hollow point , they are legal to carry in places that won't let you carry them, like NJ. They are a little expense, so not for range use.

nicalaex

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a little perplexed by 9 mm bullet weights. 115 grain vs 124 grain? There's not much difference there. It seems to me that 147 grain bullets would be the preference for home defense.

a well placed 9mm 115 gr Bullitt well do as good as any grain

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Match shooting 155 gr we cast ourselves which shoots better than any 9mm I have ever shot in carbines and handguns both, I do not usually carry a 9mm but a 357 SIG with 125 gr Ranger T or GD.

thewoods868

Fanatic

In general a lighter bullet would be my preference. Heavier bullets penetrate more. This is why a msr makes a very good home defense weapon. Also shotgun bird shot if shooting thru multiple walls is a concern.

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
Small light weight carry guns like the 115 and 124 . The 147 work best with full size guns

Ohrings

Fanatic
The 147 grain flat point is a very stable bullet, has a perceived less recoil and also uses less powder. Shooting out of my colt 1911 and my Kimber 1911 on a ransom rest, I found them to be extremely accurate. Using a slightly different power load for each pistol and firing 10 shots each had a definite sub 3/4" Group. Are use them for Bullseye, IDPA and USPSA. I'm a firm believer that if you carry it you should shoot it. My go to is the Winchester PDX 147 grain bullet. I would suggest you try each weight bullet and see which one is the most accurate and comfortable shooting

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
It depends on which bullet weight your particular pistol shoots best.... or maybe I should say, which bullet weight YOU shoot best in your pistol.
Owning a variety of 9mm pistols, ( inc. 1911's in Govt. & Cmdr sizes...) I load a variety of bullet weights & shapes, including a 135 gr polymer coated bullet that my pistols seem to like..

Sometimes,I load a particular weight based on what's available. By choice, I'd say around 125gr. may be the best compromise, but in a self defence situation , believe 147 would be a better choice.

Ohrings

Fanatic
You are correct that every barrel is different. Choosing a bullet also requires matching the correct powder to the bullet. I started out with 124 grain Bayou/HiTek bullets when they first started. I used their 124RN and got good results with clays powder. I did use several others including 231/HP38 as well as others. Results gave were 10 rounds at 50 feet within 1.25 inches. Which is good for action pistol and range shooting. I then bought a box of 147FP and used several powders at different weights. WSF came out as the best choice with a sub 3/4" group. Most shooter are not interested in fine tuning down to an inch or less. I shoot 9mm also and I cannot shoot as accurate as with my 45's. It is what it is and I accept that. I do carry a 9mm with 147gr PDX's and am happy to get them downrange at 25 feet into the sweet spots on a torso paper target.

Latest posts