'84 Berlinetta Trans epic fail.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
The transmission in my '84 Camaro dumped all it's liquid contents on my driveway.

Looks like I need to rebuild it. I have questions for anyone that is "in the know".

The car is a v8 auto with the 700r4 trans.

Can I use a newer model 700r4 like say '89 or newer or does it even matter?

What is the difference in the car and truck version of the trans?

Does anyone have a 700r4 they are willing to part with for super super cheap that is rebuildable?

that is a super common transmission. If I were you, get with a transmission place; you might be surprised how reasonable they are, and come with a warranty.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
My guy tells me the chips are different and valves even if the core transmission is the same.

I dont know how much electronics is on an 84.... but it seems to be easier to rebuild the originsal in later models because of the issues they create

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Jeff said:
My guy tells me the chips are different and valves even if the core transmission is the same.

I dont know how much electronics is on an 84.... but it seems to be easier to rebuild the originsal in later models because of the issues they create
This is true to a degree as far as I have been able to find online. I could be wrong, but it looks like most of the hard parts are the same. There are different valves, but most rebuilders change them out to a different type or diameter (still researching). I have also noticed that most will add additional friction material to the trans and use pistons from the Corvette 700r4. I'll keep looking into this until I can rebuild my own. Been at it for 2 days and I am picking up a lot of information. I still have more to learn. Anything worth doing is hard.

As far as electronics, the '84 Berlinetta had more electronics than other Camaros of that era due to the digital dash and all the little micro switches. However, the transmissions should all be the same on the v8 cars. Aside from the TV cable, I haven't seen anything that would be adjusted any other way than just changing the spring, again I'm still learning. I did find a guy that put a 700R4 (4L60?) out of '91 Camaro into his '84. Looks like all he had to swap was a few parts and the converter. I think the 700R4 was renamed 4L60 in '90?

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone know where I could buy a 700r4 on the cheap? I plan to rebuild it, I just need one that was in a car, Camaro or Corvette, say mid to late '80s early '90s. I know someone has to have one sitting around somewhere. Maybe?

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Finally, found a 700R4 transmission from a '92 Firebird with a V8. Looking forward to rebuilding it. It was hard to find what I needed. I'll try to remember to post my progress.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I have built a workbench and ordered all the parts and tools needed to do this rebuild. Actually, I'm missing a vise. Not really needed at the moment.

I'll post some pics of the bench, I think it came out really good. I have to take some pics at a lower resolution so they will not be too big to upload.

Latest posts