7.62 x 39 question

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok I have an upper and lower I need to build something, I've got 223's and was sporting wood to build a 458 SOCOM but you can find brass or at least I couldn't find any so I was thinking about the 7.62x39...... ammo is cheap and this would probably be a beater to haul around in the RZR to take out piggies.

Anyone have any experiences with the 7.62x39 in the AR platform? good, bad, ugly. Later,

Kirk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Kirk, why not a .300BO? You can rob from your .223 stash to make brass and even swap parts between rifles if you have to. Everything except the barrel.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
The 7.62 x 39 has a history of problems with the AR platform. Getting magazines to work seems to be the biggest problem. Colt was making one that didn't last long. RRA recently put their version on the market.

Sig produced the 556R that uses standard AK magazines in 7.62 x 39 that works really well. I've run about 500 rounds of steel cased Tula and Wolf through mine with no problems.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott, truth I never liked the 300 Whisper and or the 300BO as it's called now, for shooting sub sonic it's awesome but I don't really see a suppressor in my near future. With the cost of 7.62x39 thought it might be a good idea then I recall like Larry said there were always issues with the mag's feeding, something about there wasn't enough radius in the 5.56 mag for the 7.62's

I ask a couple of folks I knew had the 458 and Micah (thanks Feegee) a brass is getable just have to be on top of things as Starline is the only ones who make it which kinda concerns me. Well crap seems all the big bore calibers are specialty kinda things. Later,

Kirk

mikey80

Negative Approach
The 458S community is very small and everyone keeps in touch via 458socomforums.com and a few through the 458 Socom FB page. Everyone helps to keep eachother informed. For whatver reason, the 458S is not a SAAMI approved catridge so everything is kind of a special run when it comes to components such as brass. The good thing is, the brass can be loaded many, many times due to low pressure of the round. Join both, someone's always looking out for components. Plus, it's the only big bore that accommodates rifle projectiles. The 50 Beowolf and the 450 Bushmaster fire pistol projectiles. I've had this thing since the day Obummer was elected. I've never ran out of components due to vigilance of the community. Go for it , Kirk.
All your mags will work without modification, too.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
Larry Rigsby said:
The 7.62 x 39 has a history of problems with the AR platform. Getting magazines to work seems to be the biggest problem. Colt was making one that didn't last long. RRA recently put their version on the market.

Sig produced the 556R that uses standard AK magazines in 7.62 x 39 that works really well. I've run about 500 rounds of steel cased Tula and Wolf through mine with no problems.
RRA version takes AK mags also

Latest posts