6.5 Grendel

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Have any of you had experiance?
Whats the best barrel length for performance?
Im sort of looking to build a upper but probibly not, well I am I just want to know whos played? and what did/do you think?
I want to kill stuff with it like deer roo's and rabbits. And maybe to some further out shooting at steel and that too. It will probibly be supressed, well it will.

Whats the go please share

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Just as well no one replyed I read some interweb now Im far more confuesd might just get/build a 6.8 upper

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
I really like my 6.8 upper. I got it about 6 months ago from bison armory.
Whats to like?
The reason Im looking back is that the grendel needs a long barrel, but the 6.8 still has reasonable performance from a 16 to 18 add a couple inch's for a supressor and its getting long enough

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
The Grendel doesn't "need" a longer barrel. It will perform better with a longer barrel whereas a 6.8 doesn't really gain anything past a 16-18" barrel. I have a 6.5 Grendel upper that will put 3 into about a 3/4" circle at 100 yards. I have the 24" barrel. I'm planning on using it to hunt with some. I am going to use a suppressor. My 7.62 Phantom is what I'm using on it. With the 24" barrel, the suppressor feels really long and front heavy. Also, for whatever reason, it's still fairly loud with the suppressor. Noticeably louder than my .308. I don't exactly understand that. The Phantom isn't the best rated suppressor out there but it really does a god job on 7.62 and 5.56, even on short barrels. I figured a slower bullet with less extra powder exiting the barrel would be even quieter but I wouldn't really call it "hearing safe".

okiewhitetail

New Fanatic
Im a big grendel fan and they do need the 24" barrel if you want full powder burn
I have 2 loki weapons system ar15's in 6.5 they are on 65grendel.com. i think those guys can answer any question you may have. Ovetall it outperforms the 6.8 and the 308 in distance.

dennishoddy

Here is a very good write up of the advantages of a 6.5 Grendel. I'll leave it for your reading pleasure.
I was going to head this direction myself as it is a short action, and can use any of my lowers, but I already have the .243 WSSM upper that runs the 100 grain bullets out to the 3000+ fps.
http://www.6mmbr.com/65grendel.html

hermnrob

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have the 6.5 Grendel but I have shot one with a 18 inch barrel and had no problem hitting a 12x12 steel plate at 650 yards. Almost no recoil shooting it, very nice shooter.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
Dennis- good link find.

JP also has a safety notice on the 6.5 Grendel.
http://www.jprifles.com/safety.php?document_id=55

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Yea thanks okiewhitetail
Ive been looking on those two sites and they back up what you say, Im a bit unsure what Ill do I think it would be cool to build one on a 700 action, I know it defetes the purpose a wee bit.
Not sure I think Ill sleep on it a few times

gmar

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a Grendel but sold it to fund a .308 purchase. I like the Grendel better but I got tired of reloading and wanted a caliber that I could buy anywhere if needed. Now that I have my .308, I will build another Grendel and hopefully now that the Grendel is SAAMI certified and Bill Alexander is releasing the rights to the publc, ammo and parts will be less expensive and easier to find.

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a Grendel but sold it to fund a .308 purchase. I like the Grendel better but I got tired of reloading and wanted a caliber that I could buy anywhere if needed. Now that I have my .308, I will build another Grendel and hopefully now that the Grendel is SAAMI certified and Bill Alexander is releasing the rights to the publc, ammo and parts will be less expensive and easier to find.

thats interesting Ive got all excited about getting a AR10 the last week who knows why I already have a perfectly good bolt 308 and no one here shoots heavy metal anyway.
Im still on this 6.5 crusade I think Although its going to be a project, I still have a few things to sort before the 6.5 becomes a priority. But I can say I still like the idea way ahead of anything else for a nice new AR upper... well except for when I order a competition one in 223

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I'm nowhere near my goal of AR10 ownership, but I'm strongly leaning toward a 6mm cartridge. It's going to be pricey to shoot no matter what, and getting the inherent precision of a long bullet with a very high BC is very attractive. The argument for a 6mm-type bullet in an AR10 is strong. You're on to something. Maybe the cutting edge.

Tpb10505

Active Fanatic
How about a 6.5mm Creedmoor necked down to 6mm? It seems to be gaining some popularity over here...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2814921

Hornady even made a special run of 110,000 pieces of brass for GA Precision

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
How about a 6.5mm Creedmoor necked down to 6mm? It seems to be gaining some popularity over here...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2814921

Hornady even made a special run of 110,000 pieces of brass for GA Precision
Won't fit in an AR15 though.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I think I am becoming a 6.5 Grendel fan.
Next bolt gun will be a 6.5 creedmore tho.
Until Thanksgiving I had not thought twice about 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 for that matter. After ready the article on 6 mm br.com and another article in a recent magazine. This sounds like a great hunting round that can reach out there the great thing is it will fit nicely in an AR-15 receiver.
As Donovan likes to say this gun would easily shoot minute of pig.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Old thread, but I had to re-open it, I just got lucky and picked up a 6.5 upper. Its a Sabre Defence with a Shilen 22" fluted barrel. I can't wait to get it out and stretch it out. Im loading 108gr Lapua Scenars to keep the velocity up. Want to try TAC and N530, any suggestions on powder?

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
keep this thread up dated as you earn would be cool, havent done anything on getting my self sorted since you guys all went nutzo all orders for parts to over here have been cancelled so getting bits isnt easy and im not about to pay the 3.5k some guys have had them avertised for

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
I ran N530 in the 6.5 the other day, I didnt have a chrono but I tried 5 different loads and honestly couldnt tell the difference in group size, so I guess Ill have to get the chrono and work off the SD and velocity spreads. I did however find it was stupid easy to beat up the 8in steel at 300 yards out at the gun club. I bought some more components recently including some 123gr Scenars and SMK's. Im pretty stoked to try those out, seeing as the G1 BC is in the high .5** ranges. But Im finding myself without a need for my 20" 308 now. :(

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Corey said:
I think I am becoming a 6.5 Grendel fan.
Next bolt gun will be a 6.5 creedmore tho.
Until Thanksgiving I had not thought twice about 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 for that matter. After ready the article on 6 mm br.com and another article in a recent magazine. This sounds like a great hunting round that can reach out there the great thing is it will fit nicely in an AR-15 receiver.
As Donovan likes to say this gun would easily shoot minute of pig.
Dood, my 6.5 shoots minute of aWesome (thats like sub moa, but better)

Latest posts