6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC?

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
All the grendel I have put together have been 20 inch barrels. Average velocity is 2400 to 2500 that's with 123 grain pills keeping it super sonic further than I am going to shoot at any game. I do agree with mike if it came to 6.8 or 300 BO it would be 300 BO all day but I would keep it under 200 yards unless you are super bad ass at reading wind. Most of the blackout loads have shitty BC's and as we know if you are about to have a shot at a sweet buck in oklahoma you are also bound to have a 40 MPH wind.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Barnes 110 ttsx expands fully down to 1300 fps. That's about 350 yards out of a 16" blackout.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Yea, the BO trajectory doesn't really do anything for me. BC just sucks at those velocities and VLDs aren't an option due to mag length.

6.8 is decent since it holds more powder. Seems like with some bullets it is as good or better than a .243 at distance. Stag Arms has a reasonably priced upper with a 21.77" barrel. I wonder if I can order it without that god awful handguard and gas block? Jesse, where you at? lol

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
That's correct Tony...it was designed around 16-18" barrels with faster burning powders like REL7 and AA2200

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Lance, you running a 16" barrel?

Midway has a YHM upper on sale right now. Looks nice but I really want an 18" and if I go with 6.5G a 20" minimum.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
technetium-99m said:
Scott, have you thought about a large platform AR in 308 or 260?
Yea G.T. I have, but the last one I had when scoped was like carrying around a boat anchor. I may have to just go with a 6.5 Grendel or knock my range expectations down a notch or two. Maybe a little of both.

dennishoddy

Scott Hearn said:
Yea G.T. I have, but the last one I had when scoped was like carrying around a boat anchor. I may have to just go with a 6.5 Grendel or knock my range expectations down a notch or two. Maybe a little of both.
Adams Arms is coming out with a piston model that weighs in at 8 lbs. That's not bad.

Today, Adams Arms is proud to announce the Introduction of our Revolutionary new Piston Driven Small Frame .308 Rifle! With our years research and development we’ve engineered the finest .308 to ever hit the market. Weighing in at under 8 pounds and more than 50% reciprocal to standard AR-15 components, the new Defender and Defender Enhanced rifles will be setting a new standard in the firearms industry.

This pre-order is for the limited edition run of BILLET lower receivers with serial numbers 10 through 500.
Reserve your .308 now!
A deposit secures your billet lower and preferred serial number (if available, first come first serve). We will begin shipping the rifles in November and will be contacting each customer for their preferred configuration of each person’s custom selected serial number. There will be four models to choose from, these rifles will have a MSRP range from $1,329.99 to $2,999.99. Your deposit will go towards the final purchase price of the rifle.

Pre-orders are first come, first serve. The deposit is non-refundable and is due at the time of checkout to secure your custom picked number and will be used as a credit towards the final purchase price of the rifle. The rifle MUST be shipped to an FFL dealer of your choice.

Please use this link to access the pre-order: http://www.adamsarms.net/308-complete-rifle-pre-order

desert_gypsy

Well-Known Fanatic
Nemo Omen in .300 Win Mag. Buy once; cry once.

nemowatchmannightf406727_gauge1383250059.jpg

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been kicking around something to build using an AR15 platform and want to plink steel out there a few feet, what I've come up with is to get what I'm after is going to take a bit of effort and some custom dies :-O I will still be able to get the velocity to keep VLD bullets floating. Not sure it would be a good round for hunting but using lighter bullets it's not gonna be too far off of my favorite round the 243 :) no custom mags to mess with just a barrel and bolt. I never was a fan of either the Grendel or 6.8 but they have their place. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts