5.56 NATO Reloading

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd give it a shot for sure. It's listed in most of the sources I spot checked. It's a decent stable powder. As mentioned when filling the case be mindful of bridging, powder getting bound up and not accepting the entire charge.
This is where ball powder is nice. Meters and flows great. The round was originally designed with IMR powder. The Army screwed the pooch in Viet Nam by rushing ball powder with inadequate data and research among other issues like no training manuals, cleaning kits, chrome lined bores etc. The industry has come a long way in making ball powder sustainable. Good for us.

Let us know how it works up if you think about it. I think you will be pleased with the results.

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
Looks like H335 at 22 gr might be a good starting point with a 62 gr bullet. That's in line with several other recommendations I've seen. I think I'll try that initially. Now, I need to buy a chrono.
A chrono would be nice. That's a leap I haven't made yet. Maybe when I retire and can sit at the range all day lol.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
This is where ball powder is nice. Meters and flows great. The round was originally designed with IMR powder. The Army screwed the pooch in Viet Nam by rushing ball powder with inadequate data and research among other issues like no training manuals, cleaning kits, chrome lined bores etc. The industry has come a long way in making ball powder sustainable. Good for us.
I need to add that the Military made stalactites in our M16s using Calcium carbonate in the New ball powder, to keep it from sticking together :rolleyes:
today we know this was never ever necessary for Ball powder, even in Jungle or Maritime environments.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
A chrono would be nice. That's a leap I haven't made yet. Maybe when I retire and can sit at the range all day lol.
I found one at Ebay for 95 bucks. I may buy it. I only have my own range around here. It's very basic. A pile of dirt with 2 4x4s cemented in the ground with a 4x8 sheet of plywood for attaching targets. The dirt is a good backstop. I built a nice covered bench that I can move for different distances up to 150 yards. Most of my shooting is with handguns within 30 yards.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Before you invest check into any Chronos, check into those that attach to the muzzle of your Gun, I know sounds fantastic but they exist.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
A bit surprised I just saw this thread.. I've loaded .223 for many years, almost all of them fired thru Ar's..or my Mini 14.
Had a bolt rifle chambered for .223 for awhile, but sold it not long after buying it. Anyway, I've used the A/A line of powders almost since I started hand loading.
I have loaded a lot of 223's with both 2230 & 2460. The 2460 was bought for my 308 loads, but will work well in both.. ( 2460 is a little slower than 2230)
Other powders I've used (that I can remember), include Win. 748, BL-C (2), & WC-846 (a military /pull-down / surplus powder/
Used a LOT of 846, ( several 8#'ers) as in was inexpensive (when you could find it) and got very good accuracy with it.
I'm about to use the last that I have , loading 223's .Using inexpensive PSA AR, I've shot groups of < .5" @ 50 yds,
with 55gr pills & 24.5 -25.5gr of 846 on multiple outings.

added.. a couple of links that may be helpful :

Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR (All Three In One) http://www.hodgdonreloading.com

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I found one at Ebay for 95 bucks. I may buy it. I only have my own range around here. It's very basic. A pile of dirt with 2 4x4s cemented in the ground with a 4x8 sheet of plywood for attaching targets. The dirt is a good backstop. I built a nice covered bench that I can move for different distances up to 150 yards. Most of my shooting is with handguns within 30 yards.
Your range sounds GREAT!

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
A bit surprised I just saw this thread.. I've loaded .223 for many years, almost all of them fired thru Ar's..or my Mini 14.
Had a bolt rifle chambered for .223 for awhile, but sold it not long after buying it. Anyway, I've used the A/A line of powders almost since I started hand loading.
I have loaded a lot of 223's with both 2230 & 2460. The 2460 was bought for my 308 loads, but will work well in both.. ( 2460 is a little slower than 2230)
Other powders I've used (that I can remember), include Win. 748, BL-C (2), & WC-846 (a military /pull-down / surplus powder/
Used a LOT of 846, ( several 8#'ers) as in was inexpensive (when you could find it) and got very good accuracy with it.
I'm about to use the last that I have , loading 223's .Using inexpensive PSA AR, I've shot groups of < .5" @ 50 yds,
with 55gr pills & 24.5 -25.5gr of 846 on multiple outings.

added.. a couple of links that may be helpful :

Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR (All Three In One) http://www.hodgdonreloading.com
Thank you for all of the great information.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
..." range fees..." Our club is always trying ways to raise $ , to cover expenses. One idea they had was to charge a " per-use" range fee
Apparently , some other ranges in the area have started doing this. That is, to charge a fee every time you use the range,
in addition to our annual membership fee, (which is approx. $200.00) @ my club
I didn't like the idea, & am happy to report them club membership voted it down. Glad those holding "office" in the club can't
implement things like that without a membership vote. So far this year, I've visited the indoor & outdoor ranges 37 times..
despite the range was closed for some time due to Covid.