45ACP Carry for small hands (lady)

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been trying to help my wife find the perfect handgun for her small hands. Here are a few notes; I hope to get some feedback and recommendations from the experience here on the PSF. Requisites: full grip no pinky under, 45ACP, DAO/simple safety, workable slide.

Taurus PT111: not 45, pinky hangs off, slide hard to work. SOLD.

Colt Model 70 (1911): good grip size & fit, not DAO/tricky decocking, heavy, too many protrusions (hammer, etc)

Glock 21: grip way too big, fingernails in the way when operating slide using palm-over method.

Considering Glock 36, but it has the pinky issue (This one still in the running with mag extension). She hasn't held this one, but even though it's a single stack, the grip still feels a bit deep to me (same profile as the 21).

Considering a Sig, XD, or Kahr. Any wisdom?

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
I think she would like the Kahr .45. I have one and it is great...But, there are 2 models. I have the 6 round full grip model. It is a little small for my hand, but, still shoots great. The smaller version is REAL small...It needs the extra long mag bumber for your little finger it even touch grip.

Steve

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never shot the Kahr, but I was looking at one for a while, and it was a good fit in my hand. The main thing I didn't like was the recoil spring was very stiff, making it harder to rack.

Have you looked at Bersa? They make some pretty good compact pistols.

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
I have both the PT145 and the Kahr CW45. Both fit my hand rather well. The Kahr's grip is a little longer than the Taurus. kahr has more barrel lift. Has to be do to weight. Double stack vs single stack. I believe the Kahr also has a longer trigger pull. Because I haven't trained with it as much (Kahr) I am currently shooting low and left. will work that out with training.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the advice. I would like to check in to that Bersa. I did a bit of poking around; would that be the Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Carry? Does anyone know of a retail shop in the Greenville area that may stock these?

As for the Kahr, those were two points I noticed: good grip for small hands but really tight slide spring (not good for weak hands). Any weaker handed shooters out there have success with a Kahr? Is it truly a strength issue, or is it a matter of technique?

Again, thanks for your comments. I am still open for more.

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
All the Kahr's are tight at the stores. Kahr recommends a minimum of 200 rounds before carry (un-marketed fact you should do this with all pistols). It has lightened up and should continue. I am at about 100 rounds and noticed a large change.

the big selling point to me was the price tag of only $349 locally.

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
My husband has a difficult time with big wide grips due to having broken most of the bones in his hands. He really likes the grips on the M&P and the XD in .40 and .45 models.
If the 1911 fit her hands well why don't you work on eliminating some of the objections like bobbing the hammer, etc?

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Great link Dave. We'll eork on that first. Good idea Enjay. I'm thinking maybe something with a decocker... Also, I'm going to look around to see if i can find a Bersa, as I have never handled one. Any other personal faves for me to investigate? Sig, anyone. I heard a vote for XD.

LuckyStrike

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
....Considering Glock 36, but it has the pinky issue (This one still in the running with mag extension). She hasn't held this one, but even though it's a single stack, the grip still feels a bit deep to me (same profile as the 21).

All good advice on suggested mfg.'s, tho' I've not tried them all personally---- but I'd sure get a G36 with a +1 or +0 mag extension into her hands. The 'SlimLine' Grip Width is 1.13" per the Glock site. The G30 and G30SF are only 1.28" wide. Sounds like the 'pinky' may be the problem, which is correctable with the extension.

I don't have large hands, but I found the grip on the G30 noticeably better to my hand than the G36. And I found when racking the slide, that 'pushing forward' with my grip hand is easier than 'pushing back' with my support hand.

Good luck and enjoy, whatever ya'll decide!

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Like was said before...The Kahr gets better with shooting. My CW45 has around 1000 rounds thru it. It now has a great trigger and the slide spring has tamed down nicely...

I also have a model 36 Glock with the 10 round mag with the finger extension...I would be glad, if you are around Charleston, for you guys to check them out...

Steve

Landy

Well-Known Fanatic
I as well have small hands, I bought and shot quite a bit of a Glock G30sf. Just to fat for me. Tried it all and just could not shoot that as well as I like. Well Springfield came out with the XDm 3.8 in .45acp. WOW I hold on to it like I am use to doing. Shoots great and is dead on. Might want to look into these as well. LY

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Hold out? I think this product (XDS) has now been released. They are being advertised at various sites online at a bit over $500, though finding one in-stock may be a challenge. That is an innovative piece of hardware, but it definitely won't have a pinky rest.

Choot-um

Well-Known Fanatic
You are correct. I didnt relize they were out yet. I also failed to think of the pinky issue. I wonder if there will be a finger extension or a +1 mag available to be more comparable to the G36? Also you said .45acp is a must. If that changes the new Smith and Wesson M&P Sheild is available in 9mm and .40 and Academy has them for $399. I got one in 9mm and it comes with a 7 round flush mag and a 8 round mag. With the 8 round I can get my whole hand on it. And its so easy to operate the slide and saftey that my wife decided she liked it more than me :lol: