45 in 3 gun?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Lots of people shoot 45, I do. Just remember that the larger the caliber the fewer the rounds you can fit in your gun. For example, in my Edge I can put 14 rnds in a 140mm mag. Chambers has a .40 edge and can fit (I think) 19 rnds in a 140mm mag. We both shoot major, so 19 vs 14 gives the .40 an advantage over the .45.

cudajimmy

Well-Known Fanatic
See, I wondered the same thing. Only pistols I really own are 1911's and Hi Powers. Guess I'm gonna have to pick up an XDM.

My wife will be ecstatic. :unsure:

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I think .40 is probably the most popular caliber for all action shooting. The benifit of .40 over .45 is explained above. The benefit of .40 over 9mm is points. .40 will allow you to shoot major while 9mm puts you in minor. The amount of points scored for each hit differs from major to minor.
Major is scored:
A=5
B=4
C=4
D=2

Minor is scored:
A=5
B=3
C=3
D=1

Spiff

Semi-Pro
I think Curly shoots a .45 2011 of some flavor. Whether major or minor is advantageous really depends on the rule set. OKCGC doesn't make a distinction, so it would be better to shoot 9mm for it. My choices are either 10 rounds of .45, or 19 rounds of .40, so I roll with the .40. :)

Chambers

actual GM
The benefit of .40 over 9mm is points. .40 will allow you to shoot major while 9mm puts you in minor.

With USPSA multigun rules, yes. Out at Arcadia it is Outlaw and there is no major/minor. My STI in .40 holds 20+1 with 140mm mags.

Nobody shoots .45 outside of heavy metal and wins. :p

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
With USPSA multigun rules, yes. Out at Arcadia it is Outlaw and there is no major/minor. My STI in .40 holds 20+1 with 140mm mags.

Nobody shoots .45 outside of heavy metal and wins. :p
I thought it was 19 or 20, just wasn't sure. Yeah OKCGC is Outlaw 3gun, I was speaking more in terms of action pistol all together.

Chambers

actual GM
I usually download 1 on my reload magazines, to 19, because 20 makes them pretty hard to get into the gun.

Is it bad that I'm thinking about a 9mm 2011 for a steel gun and outlaw 3gn? :)

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I usually download 1 on my reload magazines, to 19, because 20 makes them pretty hard to get into the gun.

Is it bad that I'm thinking about a 9mm 2011 for a steel gun and outlaw 3gn? :)
That'd give you what 26 in the mag? Doesn't sound like a bad Idea. Why not just get a 9mm top end & mags & run it on the same lower?

But for steel, aren't you limited to 10 in the mag anyway? Shooting my 1911, I've never had to wory about this.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I'm thinking that the thing to do is to come out and run what you have, this is what I did and have been having a blast ever since. Breaking the bank trying to get the "right" gear together will make having fun a little tougher. The best way to make the decision on where to spend your hard earned cash will be made tons easier with a little personal experience in the mix. The most importnat thing to do is to come out and shoot!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm thinking that the thing to do is to come out and run what you have, this is what I did and have been having a blast ever since. Breaking the bank trying to get the "right" gear together will make having fun a little tougher. The best way to make the decision on where to spend your hard earned cash will be made tons easier with a little personal experience in the mix. The most importnat thing to do is to come out and shoot!
Rusty is absolutely right.
The most important thing is safety & then followed very closely by having fun. That's what we're all there for. If your concerning yourself with winning, don't worry you don't have a chance. The guys that win are the guys that work their butts off at it for hours a day, shoot all the time & have been competing for a long time. Of course, having the right gear improves your score which in turn increases the fun factor. There are plenty guys out there that are willing to loan out gear to people, and plenty of guys using borrowed gear. Like Rusty said, bring whatcha got, we'll get the rest sorted out at match time. There's plenty of time to get your own gear later after you know what works best for you.

DoubleBarrel

Well-Known Fanatic
I think .40 is probably the most popular caliber for all action shooting. The benifit of .40 over .45 is explained above. The benefit of .40 over 9mm is points. .40 will allow you to shoot major while 9mm puts you in minor. The amount of points scored for each hit differs from major to minor.
Major is scored:
A=5
B=4
C=4
D=2

Minor is scored:
A=5
B=3
C=3
D=1
Remember i am new to this so: are you saying that if two competitors were in the same match and one a 45 and the other a 9mm and both had exactly the same hits the 45 would garner more points and win? thanks also are there very many outlaw matches where you could shoot a 9mm or are they mostly sanctioned? thanks

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Remember i am new to this so: are you saying that if two competitors were in the same match and one a 45 and the other a 9mm and both had exactly the same hits the 45 would garner more points and win?
Providing the times were the same, yes, which is the whole purpose of major/minor scoring. Since the 9mm has the advantage of more ammo & more controllable recoil, the 45 gets the advantage of more points per hit (except A's). This is the reason .40 is so popular, major scoring with more ammo/fewer mag changes.

also are there very many outlaw matches where you could shoot a 9mm or are they mostly sanctioned? thanks
You can shoot a 9mm in any of the matches but in the sanctioned matches you'll be scored with the minor point values. As previously stated in Outlaw 3gun there's no major/minor scoring.

Latest posts