.45 ACP component recommendations

uflraptor

Fanatic
Getting ready to start reloading. I'm not looking for equipment advice at this. I also do not have an interest in casting at this time.

I would appreciate your input (including links) to your favorite components to make .45ACP 230grain reloads.

At this time they will be fired through a 4 inch and 5 inch 1911.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
230 gr cast, plated or FMJ, cheapest primers you can find;
Clays, Bullseye or WW 231 powder book data for your choice, these will get you started just fine... If I was just starting
#1 ww231
#2 Clays
#3 Bullesye
In that order, same powder for 200 gr.

I shoot my hard cast bullets more than any here.

Last edited:

Tail Gunner

Active Fanatic
+1 Mike Galway
You can also shoot a lighter 4.0 TG for plinking. Good case seal. No soot. Very accurate for target shooting. Likewise 5.0 - 5.5 Unique.

Cigarzan

New Fanatic
Getting ready to start reloading. I'm not looking for equipment advice at this. I also do not have an interest in casting at this time.

I would appreciate your input (including links) to your favorite components to make .45ACP 230grain reloads.

If you use mixed once fired brass be very careful because a few years ago a couple of the big manufacturers started making 45ACP brass with small primers. If you try forcing a large primer in a small primer pocket it can detonate. It's a good idea to sort your brass and use caution. I only use my own brass and never range brass. Good luck.

John Detzel

New Fanatic
Been reloading since the 70's.
Bullseye, 231, and Clays powder in that order, Unique is usable but really dirty. Consult a good manual for the powder charge weight.
Hard cast lead 225-230 RN or H&G 68 SWC 200 gn.
For jacketed and defense bullets , ( i know, I know, reloading your own for self defense opens a whole new can of worms and a lot of legal controversy .Use your best judgement.)
I use Hornady XTPs 230 and 185gr JHP's.
Hornady also made a practice bullet called an HAP which is ballistically the same as the XTPs at a lower cost.
Primers are Winchester large WLP's or Federal 150.
Winchester also makes a small primer and case in this caliber so be sure to check and sort your cases.. In other words, as I am sure you are aware, Don't accidentally try to seat a large primer into a small primer pocket.
For cases, just about any that are in good condition, but Winchester and Federal I believe to be better quality.
BTW It has also been my experience that the max loads of most reloading manuals are rarely the most accurate.
Hope this gives you something to think about. Good luck!
jd

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
My yesterday sorting today cleaning all fishy was one of the 14 I got while being looked at by snakesbr1.jpgbr2.jpgbr3.jpg

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Should get all cleaned today, I do use range brass every week and do check it for primers sizes, I keep the small primer brass out till we get enough for a match then load it and walk away without picking it up. hate the stuff, we ended up yesterday with 5 gallons on 9mm and 4 gallons of 45 with some others mixed in. We use 4 tumblers at a time so don't take long. Heavy rain here all day so no shoot no fish, good day to hunt snakes though.

Last edited:

Freeman012

New Fanatic
I second all advice above, especially sorting that annoying small primer stuff out. I keep it separate and just load it when I have 3 or 4 hundred saved up. On powder, I've used Unique, Titegroup, WSF. Mind your measurements on Titegroup as it can be easy to double charge. I prefer Unique for target shooting, though it does not meter well. So you have to take your time with it. Also found that when I'm using picked range brass, I run it through a Lee Buldge Buster. It really makes a difference getting more of the finished cartridges to pass the gauge checker. Have a ball and be safe.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Years ago I shot 700x in 45's more that all and it was great and metered great in my Star rarely these days see it mentioned. 4.2 was the go to for years.

zb338

Well-Known Fanatic
Go to Midway (on line) they have everything you need and then some.

Zeke

DE1911

Fanatic
4.7 of WST works for me. Precision Delta FMJ (not Plated), I don't like shooting lead. These run about 810 fps and I find the WST shoots soft and clean and a very accurate target load. Watch the small primer stuff, I also wait till I have several hundred and load them and set them aside. If you are shooting with someone else, ask which they have, and shoot the same, that way when picking up brass it's all the same. Blazer and some federal use small primer, maybe others. I use the same load for either small or large. Primer doesn't seem to matter, which ever is the best price.

Jim

Fanatic

Starline brass, 230 Gr FMJ w/ 6 Grains Unique, pushes the bullet out about 820fps. With cast bullets you should use 5.6 grs Unique, pushing the bullet at 850fps. Six grains Unique with a cast bullet pushes the bullet too fast and slams the slide back too hard and can be damaging to the gun.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Many yrs back we did some real testing of 45 ammo both from Ransom Rest and a ammo tester made from a M700 action with a 5" hvy barrel, we just bore sighted it on paper was all for groups, we loaded some fmj wc backwards and tried it, xring groups easy at 25 yrd but a world of difference at 50 yds. We also used the barreled action to test lots of out match ammo R-P was the worst, FC the best along with WCC either there was great, 10 shot groups. All centered before firing with dial indicators and air release trigger, modified Jewel 1.5 oz, it told the truth! Very time consuming. So really never found a bad 25yd load but some sure did do better than others for sure. I learned a lot in AMTU.
50yds a whole different world there and farther.

uflraptor

Fanatic
Thanks for all the input so far. It's given me a lot to look up learn and consider.
Any specific links or info for 230 gr hard ball to consider?

Jim

Fanatic
After reading the other comments, you are getting pretty good advice. Now days you need to separate the brass and I recommend putting all your small primer cartridges in your junk brass bucket. Use large pistol primers. I use CCI, but my friend the Judge says his Dillon press won't accept them. I say I use CCI but actually I use whatever I have which all work good for me. You are getting good advice from everyone pretty much. Jim (Rod)

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Load the 200's all will be better the original loading was a 200 gr I think

HB Rider

Active Fanatic
If you use mixed once fired brass be very careful because a few years ago a couple of the big manufacturers started making 45ACP brass with small primers. If you try forcing a large primer in a small primer pocket it can detonate. It's a good idea to sort your brass and use caution. I only use my own brass and never range brass. Good luck.

That's why I hand prime all my cases. I de-prime and re-size on my Dillon, then clean the primer pockets (that's where I sort large from small), then hand prime, then finish everything with the Dillon.

And HP38 (or w231) is my go-to powder, but I have also used Unique.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I just me could not see using a Dillion/STAR and hand priming with the quantity I shoot just check it prior to loading here.