3Gun Rifle speed vs recoil?

Shane326

Fanatic
So I'm building my first rifle for competition, and thought you guys might have some good advice on how to tune this bad boy. I think the overall question is the balance between recoil spring weight and the amount of gas I'm giving the BCG, and how that relates to recoil and speed of the action.

Related build specs: I went with an 18" barrel for the rifle length gas port, with the Syrac adjustable gas block. JP low mass BGC and silent buffer.

Should I be using the lightest recoil spring weight possible, and giving it just enough gas to lock the bolt back on last round(plus a half turn)? Is this the way to get the lightest recoil, and does running a super light recoil spring slow down the action? I tend to focus on one thing and get a little extreme, so just looking for some advice on what the balance is without spending countless hours tweaking this rifle.....

Thanks for any advice!

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
When I called and talked to JP about the silent captured spring, I asked them about spring selection. They told me that the 85% spring, the one that comes on the kit, is the equivalent of the low mass buffer and springs the also sell. he recommended that I start there. I ended up one spring weight lighter than that, and tuned it so that it barely would lock the bolt open on an empty mag. Then I turned the gas back up a half turn. Go too light with the spring, or tune it to close to the raged edge, and you may have reliability issues.

One of the more important things that mitigates recoil, is the comp/brake you use. You will likely get 1000 recommendations of comps, but pick a quality one and you'll be good. This is one place you should splurge a little, as the difference in price between a good one and a really good one is $40-$50. I personally use an SJC Titan, but also really like the Armalite tunable brake, once it's tuned.

Weight will also soak up recoil. I know a ton of guys building 6lb rifles that recoil way more than my 12lb rifle.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Tuflehundon (Rob Gee) said:
When I called and talked to JP about the silent captured spring, I asked them about spring selection. They told me that the 85% spring, the one that comes on the kit, is the equivalent of the low mass buffer and springs the also sell. he recommended that I start there. I ended up one spring weight lighter than that, and tuned it so that it barely would lock the bolt open on an empty mag. Then I turned the gas back up a half turn. Go too light with the spring, or tune it to close to the raged edge, and you may have reliability issues.

One of the more important things that mitigates recoil, is the comp/brake you use. You will likely get 1000 recommendations of comps, but pick a quality one and you'll be good. This is one place you should splurge a little, as the difference in price between a good one and a really good one is $40-$50. I personally use an SJC Titan, but also really like the Armalite tunable brake, once it's tuned.

Weight will also soak up recoil. I know a ton of guys building 6lb rifles that recoil way more than my 12lb rifle.
I agree 100%. Love a heavy gun.

Your setup is badass btw!

Shane326

Fanatic
Oh crap moment #1: When you realize heavy is good, and you have just assembled a 5lb rifle......

Oh crap moment #2: When G Tinney is the man and offers you 10% off at JP, right after you spent over 1k with them.....

I have what I think is a pretty aggressive comp in the Rise Armament comp, to help manage movement on that end. I have all 5 of the springs for the JP silent buffer, and I think the 85% you mentioned is the black spring. There is a white one that is a lower weight than that, so I'll just play around with the difference between the 2, and see how it feels.

I appreciate the help and advise guys. And thanks Jesse, I'm pretty excited about the build, and to see how it shoots this weekend! Here's the entire build list, so everyone can daydream about their next build...

2A Armament Balios light billet receiver set
Almost all V7 titanium small parts and buffer tube
JP low mass QPQ BCG
JP silent buffer
Hiperfire 24C trigger (this this feels sweet so far, no live fire yet)
Phase 5 extended bolt release
BCM Gunfighter ambi CH
Proof Research 18" carbon fiber, 223 Wylde 1in8 twist
Syrac adjustable gas block with V7 tube
2A Armament Balios light 15" keymod rail
Rise Armament comp
MFT minimalist stock and 15 deg grip
Vortex Razor HD II - JM reticle
Vortex cantilever mount - 2" offset

I tried to post a picture, but I'm going to need some IT support on how to do that on this forum.....

Shane326

Fanatic
G Tinney said:
Also I can hook you up with a 10% off discount code from JP when you get ready!
Hey Mr. Tinney, I'm about to order the 9mm bolt and SCS system from JP for another build, you still have that discount code?

FlashAndPoof

Active Fanatic
Anyone try the new JP Ultralight rifle? Seems to be really incredible performance out of such a light rifle, but I'm concerned the recoil wouldn't be worth the weight trade off.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
My rifle for IPSC rifle shooting is 10.3 lbs. JP LMOS carrier and Taccom delrin buffer. One of my buddies is running a JP silent capture system with the weights removed.

slemmo said:
My rifle for IPSC rifle shooting is 10.3 lbs. JP LMOS carrier and Taccom delrin buffer. One of my buddies is running a JP silent capture system with the weights removed.
huh? I though you guys all shot old mosin nagants and 6.5 krags

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Haha right, I think Mosin Nagants are more common in the US than they are here actually. I have three 6.5s though, including a Krag.

Latest posts