3G scope zeroing

Jake S

Active Fanatic
I'm curious, at what yardage do most of you guys zero your scope for 3 gun matches?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Most use 200 or 300 unless their reticle dictates otherwise. I zero my first hash in my reticle at 300. That puts my cross hair/dot at 180ish. For the pro matches were we only shoot 50 yards I zero for 50. I've zeroed at 25 too for the close up night matches.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I have mine at 100. I really don't know why other that it sounded cool at the time. One thing I just did was solve my scope eye relief problem. I have a sightron 1-7 that was giving me fits trying to find the reticle when the magnification was cranked up. I just moved the LaRue 139 mount forward about 1". This put the eye piece in front of the charging handle about an inch. I can now throw the thing from 1 to 7 and not loose the reticle. I have been fighting this for over a year and I don't know why I didn't try this sooner. (other that I am a complete idiot.)

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Burris MTAC. The reticle kinda dictates a 100 yard zero. I think different reticles may offer more flexibility. But, I'm learning that there is tons more than just getting a zero, and most of it involves practice.

Jake S

Active Fanatic
I'm seeing the answers I figured I would receive, basically shooters choice. I suppose with more matches under my belt and getting to know the different local and major matches around here I will figure out where I will need to zero for that match. IF you are shooting in a location that will have stages set up on bays no deeper than 100 yards, zero at 50 yards and know you're high at 100 and will shoot low on your 25 yard targets. Sound about right?

Jake S said:
I'm seeing the answers I figured I would receive, basically shooters choice. I suppose with more matches under my belt and getting to know the different local and major matches around here I will figure out where I will need to zero for that match. IF you are shooting in a location that will have stages set up on bays no deeper than 100 yards, zero at 50 yards and know you're high at 100 and will shoot low on your 25 yard targets. Sound about right?
Nah, just setup like youre going to war with it and learn your holdovers. The **** we shoot at isnt small, so you have a decent amount of wiggle room. If you shoot 3g matches with bays less than 100yds, look for another match; boooring!
learn your holdover whatever they be. if you want someone to just tell you what to do, do it jesses way if you have a bdc; if you have one x hair or dot, Id go 250yd w it.

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
So did I read Jesse's comment correct, the three GN pro matches only shoot to 50yds?????

BTW, I zero at 250 on my scopes, but with "true" irons I zero at 300yds.

Trapr

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The main thing to remember at first is to pick a zero and shoot it on paper from 5-300 or out to 500-600 if possible at various distance intervals so you know exactly where your bullets are at along the way. Then compare your actual data to a good ballistics program and see how it compares. Once you understand what's going on you can make a better educated decision on what zero and bullet trajectory fits your needs.

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
Jesse's last post is good info, one of the important things to figure out is the first place your bullet crosses your poa, somewhere around 10-25yds depending on what zero you go with. This is important because of the large sight offset we deal with on AR based guns. after that shooting on paper every 25 yds out to 100 is good and then every fifty yds beyond 100 is fine.

the offset causes us to aim higher for good impacts on target at close range, especially for clays or head boxes inside 30yds, knowing where to aim high or aim low is important even at close range.

Trapr

Southpaw

Well-Known Fanatic
Jake
Id follow Jesse's advice, I know we talked after proam last week and you said you were coming to the 3gun match This sunday. Sundays match just has a few rifle targets pushing 50 yds, all rifle targets are the metric style and are pretty much wide open looks at them up close and personal... 1 alpha or 2 hits on target scores the same. My Mtac is zeroed at 100 and it will be on 1 power the whole time. Hope that helps you with zero questions at least for this one. I would recommend printing your slugs before then as there are 2 slug shots that will be in the 40-50 yd range

Jake S

Active Fanatic
One of the reasons I enjoy this forum is the great advice, throw in the humor and it all makes for an enjoyable read. I had planned on running the 18 inch gun with the Razor out to around 300 since it has the BDC. I hadn't made a decision for the 16 inch gun with the VX-6 that has the Fire Dot reticle which is what drove me to ask the question. If the new shotgun shows up by Friday I will run some slugs through it after I get the rifle dialed in for Sunday.

jhjh11

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the vx-6 with fire dot zero at 300 then learn your offsets. I have shot with 25 50 100 200 and 300 yard zeros. With my rifle 300 was the best zero for holdovers good reference points with the reticle. But I have an 18 in barrel and shoot 55s at everything

Latest posts